Help needed re sleep

(6 Posts)
ThedementedPenguin Sun 12-May-13 21:45:16

I've got a 8month old ds who has a pretty great routine. Will settle himself for naps and at night time.

However, I have agreed to take my niece Mon-Fri 8.30am until 4ish while my sister is on a 12 week course. This involves me having her this week from Mon-Fri full time. This is where the problem lies.

So my niece will be 9 months on the 23rd and she does not self-settle at night or for any naps. My sister holds her for every nap and has to put her hand on her face in order for her to sleep. However, I am unable to do this as well I have my own ds and don't have the time to hold a baby for hours to let her sleep. Therefore this week I would like to try to get her to settle herself as this would be great for my sister also.

I have talked to my sister and she is okay with this as she finds it hard to listen to the crying. So I've looked up the various sleep training, cc or CIO and I would really like to hear other people's stories on this, how did your nights go? Also what did you do about daytime naps?

I'm thinking of doing controlled crying with her. Also I'm really worried about my ds' routine, will cc my niece ruin his routine?

Thanks in advance

CC or CIO are not the only options as there are other gentler methods too e.g. gradual withdrawal, pick up put down, etc

p.s. 9 months is a bad time for sleep and separation anxiety is also in full flow

ThedementedPenguin Sun 12-May-13 22:05:51

I have looked at the methods, I just don't see them as workable, I tried her this week with gentler methods but when you went in and picked up put down she got worse. Plus I don't have the time to do it.

ThedementedPenguin Sun 12-May-13 22:10:07

Yea I didn't think its a great time, plus she away from her normal life. I just don't have the time unfortunately to hold her. It would mean completely ignoring my ds.

I'm just trying to find out experiences to see if there's anything I can try to get her to sleep.

pigle Mon 13-May-13 08:01:50

Hi I need some advice I have a 21 month old she is very active she has a regular bedtime routine usually sleeps all night and she goes to bed really well she still has milk when she goes to bed but lately she has been waking up at about the same time, usually midnight or after, and asking for another bottle we have tried getting her back to sleep without one giving her water or squash instead but she becomes almost hysterical so after a week of this I put some juice in a bottle last night and she went back off to sleep do you have any other suggestions what I can try please x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now