At what age do you tell your DD about the facts of life?

(5 Posts)
NotMostPeople Wed 20-Mar-13 12:42:59

I've used the what's happening to me books for all three of my dc's at around 10. Great books, dd's often refer back to it months later. I think 10 is about right although I've always answered any questions honestly, so no mention of storks.

AllPurposeNortherner Wed 20-Mar-13 12:39:16

DD1 is 6 and knows about conception and pregnancy, that she will grow hair and boobs when she is older etc, becuase she has a younger sibling and I have hair and boobs. She also knows about how a lesbian or gay couple might have a baby, because she asked. I just answer questions, although I will be pushing it a bit more over the next couple of years - I started growing boobs at about 8, and periods at 11, and apparently it often gets younger through the generations.

weegiemum Wed 20-Mar-13 12:37:10

I never hid anything, but had a more blatant conversation with dd1 at about 8.6. Have also done it recently with currently 9yo dd2. Ds and dh had a conversation about age 9.

Poledra Wed 20-Mar-13 12:34:31

I've never hidden anything from my DDs, and have always answered their questions factually. However, DD1 (9yo) and I have been talking in more detail about puberty and so on for the last few months, as I think she's not far off. I don't know the book that you've linked but I've been using this one with DD1, and it's good for her age group.

Strix Wed 20-Mar-13 12:26:42

puberty, sex, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on "What's Happening to me?" for a 10 year old?

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0746069952/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9551160549&ref=asc_df_0746069952

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now