Family advice re Potty Training has tipped me over the edge today - have I done the right thing?

(35 Posts)
GogoGobo Wed 06-Mar-13 19:38:06

Started toilet training with DS last month (2.2) and within 3 days he was telling us when he needed a wee and has had consistently dry pants. Managed 1 poo on the potty and 1 on the toilet but these were with a day of following him around, reading the signs. He would say "poo poo coming" but would freeze up when on the potty or toilet and after 10 mins or so would say "no poo poo coming/poo poo gone" and invariably he would hold then find a quiet moment later in the day and poop his pants.

I have been trying to judge whether this is happening because he's not ready for complete toilet training or whether we will be delaying sorting out the pooping problem if we pause training.

Sooooo today, I received two pieces of "advice" from MIL and SIL both of whom are visiting this week. "shower him in cold water when he poos in his pants".

I feel so angry that this is even being suggested. I feel like bursting with frustration and of course I am anxious that I have mistimed the training and I am stressing him out.

I've just put him back in nappies this afternoon as I CANNOT bear the idea of them chipping in all weekend and potentially undermining his confidence even further.

Has anyone else paused potty training after a first attempt and found results improved after a break?
thanks x

Forester Thu 10-Jul-14 19:39:26

That should have been "each time she did a poo on a potty..."

Forester Thu 10-Jul-14 19:38:23

DD was scared of doing poos on the potty so we went with bribery - two chocolate buttons each time she did on a potty - and later it moved to getting the two chocolate buttons for doing a poo in the toilet. I don't think I even got through a packet of buttons.

MiaSparrow Thu 10-Jul-14 19:36:01

lolalotta exactly the same here. DD was 2.5, woke up one morning and declared "Mummy, I don't wear nappies anymore". She was dry in three days flat and dry at night in about two weeks. SO glad I waited.

upyourninja Thu 10-Jul-14 19:31:38

That advice is bonkers! Go with your instincts.

MIL told me recently that when DH was toilet training all those years ago, he had a lot of accidents with pooing in his pants. One day his dad said "oh no, (DH), not again" in a disappointed tone.

That was enough to make DH refuse to go completely and they had months of withholding, constipation, and leaking to deal with afterwards.

Trust your instincts and don't rush it - it's not worth it!

Incidentally, DD just figured it out by herself at 2.4, had a few accidents here and there but only ever received positive feedback for trying, and now a few weeks later is accident free and dry overnight. So definitely worth waiting until they're ready and willing!

CuriosityCola Thu 10-Jul-14 19:26:38

*he!!! We didn't sit on the toilet together grin

CuriosityCola Thu 10-Jul-14 19:25:40

Not read all the posts, but to answer your question. We had two 'attempts' at potty training and then back in nappies due to visiting family etc. Then it just clicked and ds was fine within a week.

I never ever punished or even looked annoyed at accidents. I would just say, oops, where is that pee/poo meant to go? Ds would reply toilet!!! Then we would sit on it to see if there was any more (there never was because it was on the floor or in pants wink).

Shocked at the cold shower suggestion. That is so cruel.

cacakariel Thu 10-Jul-14 19:20:51

we just share a child toilet training solutions, surefire tips to help potty training. of products and books toile toilet train toddlers all the way there please visit the following link www.pottytraininggirls.us/

lolalotta Fri 08-Mar-13 06:44:30

Pause and then try again later! I waited for my DD to tell me she no longer wanted to wear nappies (2.9) she trained very quickly, in about 3 days, with very few accidents and dry at night too. She was ready and it came very easily with little upset and stress. Good luck!

mummy2benji Thu 07-Mar-13 23:41:59

My ds adored fireman sam around the age we toilet trained, and has a soft toy fireman sam. Ds suffers with constipation for which he is on various meds, and at times we had real problems with him getting bunged up and it hurting him to go. I remember all too well one awful episode with him sitting on the loo for almost an hour pushing and crying and insisting I hug him throughout - my leg went dead! It really helped when I brought his fireman sam into the bathroom with us and made him talk, I got him to tell ds all about when he has "hurty poos" and that he is just very patient and squeezes gently! Sorry way TMI but I just wondered if bringing a favourite soft toy in with him might help encourage him to go? I can also recommend a book called 'Even firefighters need the potty' - it's very American and when they say 'potty' they mean 'toilet', but my ds loved it and clearly some of the characters are doing poops as they are sitting down reading the paper!

Bumpsadaisie Thu 07-Mar-13 20:51:00

I think this is awful!

Just ignore them. Your DS is young to be training and it sounds like he is doing well. Most children I know were more like 2 and three quarters to 3 years old.

I would leave it a bit, the older they are the easier it is anyway.

I tried with my DD when she was about your son's age. It was OK, some wees went in, some didn't etc. But I was heavily pregnant with DS and given that it wasn't instantaneous I just decided to leave it and try again once DS was born. She was 2.5 when he was born, there were two crazy "newborn plus toddler fog" months immediately following his arrival when potty training DD was out of the question, then we started again at 2.7. By her third birthday she was clean and dry day and night and we haven't really had an accident since (barring diarrhoea!). She is 3.9 now.

MajaBiene Thu 07-Mar-13 08:40:03

I had the same issue with poos with my DS at first (he was trained about 26 months) - sees clicked immediately, seemed to get pooing for the first couple of days and then some pooing in pants. It's very common!

At first he just waited til nap time to poo in his nappy, and then we started leaving the potty in his room so he could get up after his nap and have a poo in peace/privacy! That seemed to work for him.

If he's got the hang of weeing then I wouldn't go backwards on nappies - try pull-ups.

elfycat Thu 07-Mar-13 08:32:25

There is a downloadable colouring story about Mr Poo and Pooland that I found a link to on MN.

We didn't get around to the colouring. I can only imagine that you would need to go out and buy extra brown crayons....

I think the idea just appeals to kids and making up my own stories was much more fun. Do you think my DD1 (4) might like a day at a water treatment plant?

atrcts Thu 07-Mar-13 08:15:57

An ice cold shower is abuse and I'd be scared to allow them to babysit him if that's how they behave! Am pleased your son had a Mum with her head screwed on right though wink

We introduced potty books, DVD and offered a potty when he was naked before getting into the bath each night, and he often wee'd quite happily so we tried potty training when my son was about 2 1/2, but he just wasn't ready for it (pee'd without really noticing what was happening and didn't seem terribly perturbed by it ). His nursery suggested we don't even try with a boy until he turns 3.

All of a sudden, a couple of months before his 3rd birthday, he began to peel off his soiled nappy and hand it to us as an offering!!! We decided to try potty training again and after 4 days of half potty/half accidents, he became fully dry and has only had 2 minor leaks in the last 2 months.

So trying and aborting, then coming back to it again when a child is more ready seems like a really good idea.

ClaireDeTamble Thu 07-Mar-13 07:03:23

If he's mastered wees put him in pull-ups rather than nappies. That will make it easier for him to continue using the potty and toilet for weeing but won't matter so much if he poos in them. It will take the pressure off both of you without stopping completely.

We had a potty in the bathroom from about 18 months. DD would sometimes sit on it before bath, but mostly use it as a hat! smile

She potty trained really easy at 22 months as that was when she was ready. I'm really glad we did it then as now she's just turned 3 and she's a stroppy madam, we'd get nowhere fast now!

mamababa Wed 06-Mar-13 22:35:59

Was under the impression it's a physiological impossibility to toilet train a child before 18 months. So 'potty aeareness' from 9 months hmm

bobbyrerry Wed 06-Mar-13 21:42:19

The 'advice' is absolutly shocking. Who in thier right mind would do that to a child, what ever the circumstances. Hope DH wasn't subject to this abuse.
I really wouldn't worry if things take longer, they're going in the right direction. I've been doing what I call potty awareness since my DS was 9 months under pressure from my mother, who assures me I was potty trained by a year - yeah right! Anyway we keep it fairly relaxed, sing songs read books. Some days he's really good and asking to go other days he doesn't want to go near the potty or toilet. So we're no further on than you are and he's nearly 2. Goes to show it doesn't make a difference the earlier you start, they'll do it when they're ready with the right encouragement and without the punishment.
Going tho think up stories about Mr Poo in Pooland now.

I tried DS1 at a similar age. He wasn't ready. He understood what I wanted, but he wasn't bothered by the feeling of being wet or soiled, so there was no drive for him to do it.

I tried again at 2y 7m. He cracked it within 3 days. What worked for us was (other than him being ready) to buy a load of special stickers. Whenever he used the potty successfully he could choose 1 sticker for a wee and 3 for a poo, and he could decorate his chest of drawers or his potty with them.

nannyof3 Wed 06-Mar-13 20:54:31

Poo's normally always come last... It takes time, alot of constipation and patience

27m is pretty young for a boy to pt nowadays (because nappies are so absorbent). Waiting will do no harm at all, and it sounds like he genuinely isn't ready.

Can you keep some story books in the bathroom? Then when he mentions poos sit him on the potty and read a long story. It might just get him to sit on the potty long enough without getting bored. Worked for DD.

I agree, you are doing so well with wees it seems a shame to give up yet.

That doesn't mean you can't stick him in a nappy for visits to unhelpful relatives houses.

mamababa Wed 06-Mar-13 20:18:18

I would prob carry on tbh. My DS was 2.5 and cracked wee's in about 4 days, then would say he needed a wee, didn't go then pooed his pants. But he got the poos right within another week or two. Does he tend to poo at similar times? Maybe when he says he needs to but doesn't then goes off try him back on the potty in another 5 mins or so? Also I found a sticker chart with rewards for 5 stickers in a row brill. You're nearly there, he wee's in the potty and clearly knows when he wants to poo and can tell you so I'd give it a bit longer.

As for your IL's words fail me. I seriously wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut!!

GogoGobo Wed 06-Mar-13 20:09:17

elfycat LOVE your idea of throwing a glass of the cold stuff over them!
TLTT and the toilet training for boys will be good reading material for me over the next month or two.
Thank you all for posting - it's so reassuring to hear your experiences x

GogoGobo Wed 06-Mar-13 20:05:42

Thank you for the advice. I agree that cold showering a 27 month old IS child abuse. shocking but one of them his a teacher shock

I think he is young and I am going to leave it for 3 months or so and have a fresh start. I am not anti GF at all and will look up the book!

elfycat Wed 06-Mar-13 20:05:16

* On another MN thread we called it TLTT.

Stoooopid computer jumped and deleted the rest of the sentence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now