At what age did you move baby to their own bedroom?

(54 Posts)
spekulatius Wed 20-Feb-13 20:48:22

DD is 3 months old and sleeps in Moses basket in our bedroom. I don't know how long they are suppose to slee0 in it but it seems too small for her already. She doesn't have much room to stretch and quite often is very close to the sides with her face. So I'm thinking of moving her to her cot which is in her bedroom nexy to ours but I think she is too small/young. I'd prefer it if she was in same room as me for a few more months.

So now I'm wondering if I should put the cot in our bedroom or co-sleep?
What have others done? How long should they sleep in parents bedroom? I mean regarding cot death.

curiousgeorgie Thu 21-Feb-13 14:59:11

My DD was too long for her Moses basket at less than three months so we bought a crib and she stayed in that in our room for over a year. smile

I didn't want her to leave us and she slept through through the night (8-8/9) from about 10 weeks so it was a joy really!

I'm expecting DD2 and hope to have her in our room that long too.

steben Thu 21-Feb-13 19:19:28

8 weeks and 5 weeks - everyone slept a lot better! We also have one if those sensor mat monitors for extra peace of mind

CrunchyFrog Thu 21-Feb-13 19:20:56

Mine were 18 months, 3.5 years and 4 year old Final Child is currently about 50/50 my bed/his bed.

Co-sleeping is great. grin

5madthings Thu 21-Feb-13 19:28:03

Ours went into their own bed between 2-3yrs old and co-slept till.then. Dd is 26mths and still in our bed, we have a toddler bed in our room.for her but its generally got a pile of clean laundry on it...

DD went into her own room at 8 weeks in her Moses basket, and into her cot at 11 weeks - she had outgrown the basket and slept better on the cot mattress (the Moses basket mattress was so thin). We all slept better actually, because DD has inherited her father's snoring talent! grin

DD1 went into her own room after we left hospital (5 days) DD2 totally different baby/situation and stayed in our room for 8 months.

DanniiH Fri 22-Feb-13 10:02:52

Ds slept through from 8 weeks and was too big for Moses basket by then so went in to his own room then too. I believe you need grown up time so co sleeping isn't my cup of tea. I'll be doing similar with this baby too. I think if you do want to keep them in your room for the 6 months a travel cot is a good option. x ps I believe that them sleeping in your room reduces the risk of SIDS because they mimic your breathing so less chance of them stopping breathing in their sleep.

Fuzzymum1 Fri 22-Feb-13 12:27:52

DS1 was a few months old (but that was 19 years ago) DS2 was about 5 months and DS3 was nearly two and a half. We had nowhere else to put him until then.

willyoulistentome Fri 22-Feb-13 12:35:32

2 weeks with first and 3 months with second. Number two was only in with us so long due to his room being so hot in the summer and his night feeds waking number one up.
I just could not sleep with them in the room with us. We kept all waking each other up all night.

moomoo2013 Fri 22-Feb-13 20:06:01

My Daughter 6 weeks has had her own room since 2 weeks. It seemed best for night feeding. I keep the moses with me/us in the living room during the day can I ask if other netmums do this? Or do you go up and down stairs all day? feeding/napping?

BertieBotts Fri 22-Feb-13 23:55:25

DS used to nap downstairs, never had naps in his cot.

I must be an old softy but I couldn't imagine putting a tiny baby on their own in a room to sleep. Don't you miss them? blush

tigersmummy Sat 23-Feb-13 09:11:33

Guidelines are 6 months - DS moved at 11 weeks and dd has just moved at 4 months. I would have kept her in with us longer but she likes to sleep with her arms splayed out, so more room in her cot, and we were disturbing her during the night. We have a monitor so it's like she is right next to me. Personal preference though; go with your instincts. One friend had DS sleeping from day one in his own room and sister in law just moved her DS in with his sibling at 13 months - both children are happy, healthy and have good parent attachment.

CotherMuckingFunt Sat 23-Feb-13 09:14:56

Both of mine went in their own room at 7 weeks. Ds went through from that night onwards and dd went down to one feed a night after that.

5madthings Sat 23-Feb-13 09:48:44

bertie i will join you in the softie camp i couldnt bear to have put them in another room! During the day they slept in the carrycot on the pram or in my arms or in a sling or occasionally the bouncy chair.

OhMyNoReally Sat 23-Feb-13 09:55:27

All of mine went in their own cot from about 4-6 weeks with a monitor near them. I turned it up very loud so I heard every noise. I think you put them in their own cot when you feel their ready, for me that was when the breaks in feeding started to become every 3-4 hours, rather than every 1-2 hours.

YeahBuddy Sat 23-Feb-13 10:38:20

My DTs were in Moses baskets in my room until they grew out of them at four months. I have a bunk cot for them that wouldn't fit in my room so I moved them to their own room then but by that time they were sleeping through anyway.

4TheLoveOfBob Sat 23-Feb-13 10:43:29

DC1 was about 7/8 months - moved him to own room when we realised we were all waking each other up with every snore/sniffle/movement.

DC2 was 15 months. She was a great sleeper but I just got used to her being in the cot beside my bed and only moved her to her own room under duress from DH, really :-)

SarahJinx Sat 23-Feb-13 11:06:42

Ds 21 months is still in with us, when he outgrew his Moses basket we squeezed in a cot. I can't imagine him not being there now so it might be a while......

Guidelines re first six months are to do with babies learning to regulate their breathing I thought?

tazmo Sat 23-Feb-13 16:56:03

Mine was 9 weeks with first one as couldn't sleep at all with them in the room. A bit longer with dd2 and 3. Prob about 3 months. Mainly because I can cope a bit better in my room. If the baby is a healthy weight, shouldn't really be too many issues moving before 6 months.

Lionsntigersnbears Sat 23-Feb-13 17:27:50

5 months, when we realised we were all keeping each other awake. She was fine about it grin

spekulatius Sat 23-Feb-13 18:25:12

Thanks everyone. My friend has lend me a crib which is bigger so we will try it tonight. Will fit in our bedroom easily so we can keep her with us for a few more months. She was sleeping through every single night from 6-10 weeks but last 3 weeks has been waking up during night again so it will be easier if she is next to me.

birdsofshore Sat 23-Feb-13 18:28:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsrobertduvall Sat 23-Feb-13 18:34:27

From birth.

nicki1978 Sun 24-Feb-13 07:52:23

Our DS was in his own room at 2 weeks. It was fine first two weeks whilst DH was off work but then they were both waking each other up so we took the decision to put him in his own room.

We also noticed that DS went to sleep at around the same time each evening so we put him into a bedtime routine and he loves it.

Now, at 20 mths, he goes to bed at 6pm, sleeps until around 3am, has a bottle goes straight back off until 7am.

moomoo2013 Sun 24-Feb-13 14:33:17

My daughter has been in her own room since about 2 weeks. I keep her in the moses basket with me during the day can I ask if this is what other mumsnetters do or do we take baby up to bed for naps in the day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now