can someone please remind me why I want baby to self settle not feed to sleep?

(27 Posts)
oldebaglady Fri 25-Jan-13 14:28:49

hi, I remember wanting DC1 to self settle, and did a vague EASY/GF-ey routine so that he was never feeding to sleep

am feeding DC2 to sleep and I'm stuggling to remember the downside - it seems easy and convenient at the moment but it's still early days

if I'm making a rod for my back (which is what I thought with DC1 but can't remember why) - what exactly is it?

I've tried flicking though tracy hogg and am none the wiser, I have "time for you" when the baby is in the sling or asleep or in the bouncy chair - what difference does it make what order the feeding comes into it - ya still have to feed??

what am I forgetting/missing??

thanks

PurplePidjin Sun 27-Jan-13 18:22:53

I'm sure i read somewhere that a child under 6 months lacks the neurological capacity to learn stuff like this. They learn by instinct, to get their needs met, and as they get older those needs become more complex. At 2 weeks, my ds needed to eat, sleep, be warm and be loved. At 10 weeks he's added in a bit of mental stimulation - grabbing hair and toys, gurgling, smiling. Eventually, he'll add talking, walking, reading etc to his repertoire and I'll be gently phased out until he moves into his own place and i gain a daughter in law and some grandkids (or a son in law and adopted grandkids. Or not. Whatever)

My job is to raise a productive, functional member of society. How i get there over the next 18 years is largely irrelevant.

Iyswim confused

nickelbabe Sun 27-Jan-13 18:32:36

exactly pidj.

tge blueprints are vbeing laid down for all sorts of stuff but a baby fewer than 6months can't learn that kind of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now