what are the parenting challenges you are dealing with at the moment?

(58 Posts)
driedapricots Mon 17-Dec-12 06:29:11

in the spirit of 'this too shall pass' i wondered what issues we are all currently trying to work thru..mine; stroppyness & dramatic meltdowns from 5 yo (tbf this has been going on for 4 yrssad ...& early Morning waking for milk with 2.5yo...e.g 4am..ugh. (obv minor compared to those with v v serious issues, i dont mean this thread to offend anyone in that situation of course)

AnotherMonkey Tue 18-Dec-12 10:02:03

Good thread.

Here, another previously happy, funny, laid back boy who has been knocked sideways by baby sister.

Tantrums, whining, doing stuff he knows he shouldn't while staring at you like a lunatic. He's also started telling tales but does it on himself too (eg [in best whiny voice] "mummy I hit BabyMonkeeeeeey I hit, muummmy". He didn't, I was right there hmm ). Although he has started doing that too, sometimes. Short of packing his new sister up in a box and sending her back, I really couldn't give him more love and attention. This too shall pass (please please please let it be soon).

This is especially fun with extended sleep deprivation.

DD not very well, I feel so sorry for her at the moment and she's a grizzly bear.

Emsmaman Tue 18-Dec-12 10:30:21

Still terrible sleep with DD 20mo. I was overjoyed she slept 9pm-3am as I got a decent stretch. We also get the wide awake in the middle of the night thing regularly, 2 hours plus. Would be fine if she just nattered to herself but she wants company.

DD bites, kicks, hits and pulls my hair. Since her way of apologising is giving a hug, she now seems to be deliberately hitting in order to get a hug.

Every week is a new f*cking cold/virus whatever. She's just over chicken pox and now has a cold. All attempts at sleep training get sidelined after a few days when she catches something and becomes a clingy mess again.

Skiffen Tue 18-Dec-12 11:21:05

Thanks gary - worsening of long term condition, so they want to step everything up a bit which is worrying and disappointing as we had been doing well.

Home now, but dd1 is punishing my absence by ignoring me and being daddy-focused.

alardi Tue 18-Dec-12 12:55:56

This sounds so awful, there are lots & lots of good things about them, too, but in terms of things I wish I could fix...

Teenager: Generally selfish self-centred lazy demanding bad tempered git.

Preteen: lying, suspected petty thefts, high strung

middle school child: annoying to others, has no friends sad. Hot temper.

reception child: Picking at own face causing scars, doesn't eat a varied diet. Very Minor compared to others' problems, though.

naughtynancy Tue 18-Dec-12 14:22:00

DS (2.1) - regressing on potty training (had been fully trained before 2), also dropping his daytime nap.

ellesabe Tue 18-Dec-12 18:17:09

Dd1 (2.1yo) has stopped napping and dd2 (6wo) has muddled her night and day so I get almost NO sleep at the moment <crawls into the corner to cry>

naughtynancy Tue 18-Dec-12 19:37:49

elle I have a 12 wk old as well so feel your pain!

BikeRunSki Brazil Tue 18-Dec-12 19:43:40

Very bored September born 4 yo who was more than ready for school this year, missed this intake by a week, and is fed up. He is getting disruptive and rude. He runs around and screechs continuously and can not seem to focus or concentrate on anything other than TV. As for doing what he's asked.... Coupled with life long reluctance to eat, and a curious, climbing 1 yo who rarely sleeps more than 3 hours at a stretch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now