how to move on from this stage - potty training?

(9 Posts)
addictedismoving Wed 21-Nov-12 09:21:03

dd1 is 25 months old, she came to me 2 minutes ago then said, 'mummy happy (nappy) change, done weewees' I changed her nappy and she has just come back to me sticking her bum out saying 'look mummy, done poo'

I've been talking to her about the toilet and potty for weeks and she comfortably sits on the toilet before she gets in the bath or while I'm in the shower or just generally will ask if i'm tidying around upstairs (she thinks its a game?). But she has never done anything on the toilet. How do I move on from telling me shes done it after the fact to telling me she needs to do it?

tilder Wed 21-Nov-12 09:27:33

I found bribery works brilliantly. Ds1 I did stickers and ds2 smarties. To begin with the got one for telling me they had done something, then for telling me they needed to, then we moved on to production on the potty. Little sticker for a wee and a big sticker for a poo.

Some people miss out the first stages, but this worked for us. And you have the first stage sorted already!

tilder Wed 21-Nov-12 09:28:46

And you will need lots of pants. For dd.

We got through a fair few and sometimes they ended up in the bin.

addictedismoving Wed 21-Nov-12 09:31:41

I've just told her actually that this afternoon were going to buy some potty's and new pants and she needs to tell me when she needs a wee.

She hates having her nappy changed, so we will see how it goes I think, I'm not sure its the best time to start tho confused we're moving house in a couple of weeks!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 22-Nov-12 20:48:30

Nappy off, sit on potty and ask her like a broken record if she needs a wee every ten minutes until you drive yourself insane. rinse and repeat. try and read a book with her while she's sitting on the potty. it'll take her mind off the pressure of trying to do one and she will wee at some point. then you run around like a crazy person proffering sweets and clapping in celebration. she will be proud and hey presto. follow that and it should work. if not dont worry. persevere. poos take longer to crack but i used the same book method and hand holding or singing songs. My DD was 2.3 when she volunteered to get rid of nappies. it went swimmingly. I bet my ds isn't as cooperative when the time comes...

Inclusioneer Thu 22-Nov-12 21:58:07

Just take her nappy off and let her go naked waist down (warm up the house!) in a limited space. Watch her like a hawk and when she wees whip her on to the potty. Priase/reward like billy-o if any lands in the potty.

Continue.

She will get the idea. If you are lucky she will dislike getting wee on her feet and learn quickly. DS is 2.3 and is now 99% reliable at home for wees and poos after 3 days. I haven't broached 'out and about' yet. That is next!

lolalotta Thu 22-Nov-12 22:04:17

I waited until my DD asked to wear pants at 2.9 yrs...she got it very quickly in about 3 days with very few accidents after that and dry at night too. It might be worth waiting and take her lead? I was dreading it all TBH and couldn't believe quite how quickly it all happened in the end, nothing to with me, all her! Oh and yes I used stickers and choc buttons too once we got started! grin

addictedismoving Thu 22-Nov-12 22:24:44

We got he with the potty yesterday afternoon and she wanyed to use it. She was up and down all afternoon, but still managed to wee on the floor, i cleaned it up and explaoned weewee goes on the potty. She weed again on the floor and I said oh dear, she said 'what's wrong?' She didn't seem to understand she had weed. This morning dh put some pants on her (she hates being naked) and again was up and down, she weed again and said 'sorry mummy' I said why what's wrong? She said 'my pants are wet' I changed her and again constantly on the potty and again she weed in her pants and got really upset, so i put a nappy back on her and told her it was ok. She didn't seem to know she was doing it, ony when she'd done it.
I don't think shes ready so we'll wait another couple of months and try again, I dont want to upset her needlessly.

Tgger Thu 22-Nov-12 22:42:18

Up to you but I would wait 6 months at least and it will be so much easier. But go for it if you are game!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now