baby clinic says my baby needs to lose weight!

(84 Posts)
lovezara Wed 14-Nov-12 14:25:51

Hello mums! I'm newly registered here so please give me time to adjust on how the whole forum works. I've been a regular reader for a while reading threads that relate to me.

So i'm a first time mum and loving it. I have a 6 month and 2 week girl.
so i've payed a visit to the baby clinic today morning and got out of there extremely upset and worried. my little girl is quite big, although i should first tell you that her father is 6ft tall and extremely big boned, his family's babies so far all have been big babies so naturally she has chubbiness n her genes. She is currently in the 95 to 98th percentile weight on their charts, she weighs 9.3/4kg.

the health advisor told me that i feed her too much and should decrease her formula intake to 18 oz a day. she currently has 5 6oz a day (although she usually doesn't finish them) and 3 meals a day, breakfast lunch and fruit for desert. She told me keep her meals the same but give her about 4 3 oz milk a day but for her to be ruler dilute the bottle with however much water i want.

I just think that's a bit too extreme but i also don't want my baby to stay like this and also she still doesn't sit up and hasn't rolled over yet, so that worries me a lot!!

the health advisor thinks her development is being delayed due to her weight and told me if she hasn't lost weight from now to 6 weeks she'll refer her to a dietician. I'm extremely worried and really don't know what to do!!

Sorry for the long post but hope i get some advise on what to do, currently i'm thinking of just following her advise and see what happens??

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 20-Nov-12 09:04:17

Totally right beyoglu.

There certainly are babies who feed for comfort rather than hunger but that is true whether you ff or bf.

The difference with bf is you don't know how much they're drinking.

Imo the best thing to do is to be led by your baby.

Mine drank bonkers amounts but was never sick and never over-pooed (i don't think that's a word!)

He was also never a massive baby. Chubby yes but not massive.

My niece barely drank half as much, she was just as chubby!

If a baby doesn't want to eat or drink there's no way you're going to make them do it!

SamSmalaidh Tue 20-Nov-12 09:10:30

Sorry Randall but that's just not true. Babies can be overfed, research shows they can be persuaded to take more from a bottle than they need/want. Not vomitting isn't proof that a baby isn't overfeeding. Overfeeding is a risk of bottle feeding regardless of whether it is formula or ebm, and is one of the reasons that bottle fed babies are on average heavier than breastfed babies.

Now, I'm not suggesting for a second that you overfed your baby, but just because you didn't do it doesn't mean it is impossible, or even unlikely.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 20-Nov-12 09:21:54

Oh whatever. I'm getting really annoyed now but arguing isn't helpful to the op who asked for different people's views.

You have yours , I have mine.

I'm not in the slightest bit worried that I over-fed my baby and am not the least bit defensive about it.

New mothers reading this type of thread however don't need it to be used to give them another reason to feel guilty about ff'ing.

beyoglu Tue 20-Nov-12 09:24:49

Could you post a link to that research, Sam?

SamSmalaidh Tue 20-Nov-12 09:32:08

Sure, here's some papers that have been posted before:
Key Issues to Address With Bottle-Feeding
Pediatric Nursing, Jan, 2001
– a discussion among paediatricians and others in the US which highlights need for parents to be aware of overfeeding.

Feeding Patterns in Breast-Fed and Formula-Fed Infants.
Seivers et al.
Ann Nutr Metab 2002;46:243-248
- highlights difficulty of true ‘demand feeding’ in a formula fed baby and the difficulty in matching intake with need.

Mode of infant feeding and achieved growth in adolescence: early feeding patterns in relation to growth and body composition in adolescence.
Tulldahl J et al.
Obes Res. 1999 Sep;7(5):431-7.
“our results imply that formula fed infants may be at risk for overfeeding, which might lead to overweight, even up to adolescent age”

Do Infants Fed From Bottles Lack Self-regulation of Milk Intake Compared With Directly Breastfed Infants?
Li et al.
Pediatrics, June 2010
- This paper answers ‘yes’ to this question and interestingly, looks at bottle feeding with ebm, as well as formula, and concludes that the same risk applies.

Mothers' experiences of bottle-feeding: a systematic review of qualitative and quantitative studies.
Lakshman et al.
Archives Disease in Childhood, July 2009

Randall - I don't think this is about making anyone feel guilty confused Surely it is important to be aware of any risks in baby feeding though in order to make informed choices?

beyoglu Tue 20-Nov-12 10:01:34

Wow that's very comprehensive but as I'm on maternity leave and don't have an ATHENS login I suppose I will just have to take your word for it!

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 20-Nov-12 10:30:13

I have zero interest in entering into a bf vs ff debate. Never have never will.

How someone else feeds their baby has nothing to do with me and I would never presume to comment. I don't have the arrogance.

New mothers have enough to feel guilty about. Why anyone feels the need to patronise I will never know as I have no desire to feel superior to anyone.

Clearly you are very pro bf, that's great, it was obviously the best choice for you and your baby. Don't preach though. It's not nice.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 20-Nov-12 10:32:36

Massive apologies for the hijack op.

Ignore the bickering and just take whatever advice you feel is relevant to you.

This motherhood's a tricky business smile

SamSmalaidh Tue 20-Nov-12 10:43:20

I haven't mentioned bf confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now