Taylor for girls & boys

(50 Posts)
NickiSue Fri 04-Jun-10 12:30:29

We've decided to call baby no2 Taylor if it is a boy (my Grandad's surname, he would have been so pleased). What do you think of Taylor as a girl's name? I have heard of it before, but am looking for opinions

rubyslippers Fri 04-Jun-10 12:39:56

I think it is more of a boy's name but have heard girls called it

Prefer Talia for a girl TBH

candyflossbaby Fri 04-Jun-10 12:43:15

Its ok, but my best friend at school was put in the boys pe group throughout secondary school, by accident, as the teachers thought she was a boy when they had the register, and it was really annoying for her.

aspiegal Fri 04-Jun-10 12:45:39

It's good! There are more Americn girls called Taylor than British girls so you wouldn't meet lots of other Taylor's out and about. I always see taylor as a girls name tbh. Go for it!! smile

lidofabiro Fri 04-Jun-10 13:14:14

I do think of it as a boys' name first, although I've heard of it spelled Tayla for a girl.

A few ideas for similar names

Talia
Tanya
Taryn
Tara
Tatiana
Tamsin
Tamara
Tanya

Very American. I've always liked it, but I am american and like names like Tyler and Madison.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 04-Jun-10 13:47:22

My niece is called Taylor and it suits her - never had any problems at school orwith people thinking it's a boy's name, afaik.

usualfsuspect Fri 04-Jun-10 13:52:50

I know a couple of girls called Taylor

Effjay Fri 04-Jun-10 13:57:56

My immediate reaction to this is that it is a bit of a chav name. Sorry, wouldn't choose it.

florence2511 Fri 04-Jun-10 13:59:51

I agree Effjay.

Why call a daughter Taylor when there are far prettier names out there that don't sound masculine and aren't SURNAMES.

usualfsuspect Fri 04-Jun-10 14:09:58

Was waiting for the inevitable chav comment [rolls eyes]

cat64 Fri 04-Jun-10 14:19:23

I only know a girl Taylor.
I personally don't like names that are also surnames - causes lots of confusion, and I don't like names that can be boys or girls names - ditto.
That said, I've heard worse - lots worse on MN, so, if you like it, use it! grin

lamplighter Fri 04-Jun-10 14:22:41

I think it is possibly one of those names that will date easily - like Sharon, Debbie, Mandy etc. It is very 'now'.

Sorry. blush

usualsuspect Fri 04-Jun-10 14:23:47

One of the Taylors I know is 17 ..so its been around a while

It's a bit ugly for a girl.

NickiSue Fri 04-Jun-10 14:32:45

Thanks all for responses. The reason we have chosen Taylor, and will definitely use it as a boys name is as I said for my Grandad. I was his carer for 13years along with my Mum, and obviously he meant a lot (and there are no Taylors (surname) left). Dh and I both think it's a fab tribute to a great Yorkshire fella, and a nice name in it's own right but am still not decided (convinced?) on it as a girl's name, although DH likes it.
The general consensus seems to be a no as a feminine name which is why I posted - to get "outside" views so thanks for that. Maybe back to the drawing board on that one.

Besides, God forbid I "make" my child a chav! grin

lidofabiro Fri 04-Jun-10 15:05:34

Apparently the girls' name Taylin is a variant of Taylor/Tayla.

mathanxiety Fri 04-Jun-10 15:06:32

The only ones I know are girls, and tbh, I think there are far nicer names out there. If I were going to use it for a girl and for the reason you have, I would use it as a middle name or even a third name.

NickiSue Fri 04-Jun-10 16:16:05

The more I consider it the less I like it as a girl's name actually. A boy yes, and I do know a few, although not local, Taylor boys (and love the name in it's own right) - the alternative girl names are more girlie smile

SmaugTheDragon Thu 19-Jul-12 23:26:03

Had to comment as my daughter is called Taylor. She is 11. I got the name from an American film years ago, I just liked it when I heard it (the film is parenthood if anyone is interested). When I was pregnant I mentioned it to my husband and he loved it (we both preferred it for a girl, she would not have been Taylor if she'd been a boy). Main reason I wanted to comment is that I resent anyone saying it's chavvy (bleugh). We are most certainly not chavs! I'm pretty sure the word chav didn't exist to describe a certain kind of person when our daughter was born (I hadn't heard of it anyway). To me it is an American name derived from an English occupation. Though oddly I do think Tayla is not particularly nice, surely it's obvious to anyone that the pronounciation is different?

CODwidow Thu 19-Jul-12 23:33:56

My son is called Taylor and he's 8 now and we also are not 'chavs'

CaringMum28 Fri 20-Jul-12 00:00:31

I'd a avoid, I work in social work& half the boys are Taylor, tyler, Ty some Chav derivative or girls are Taylor-Leigh, Taylor-may (really!) sad

CaringMum28 Fri 20-Jul-12 00:01:08

Why don't you use your grandad's first. And for a boy or the female version?

iheartmycat Fri 20-Jul-12 00:24:04

It's an old family name in my family too, and often been used as a middle name for both boys and girls in the family for that reason. One cousin recently used it as a first name for her daughter. I actually really like it, I think it's quite a strong name, totally recognisable as being for boys or girls, and as it has meaning for you, I'd definately go for it smile

I have a boy Taylor (3) and I know a girl Taylor (14) so it's been around for a while.

I'm not a chav, and the girl Taylor's parents are most definitely not chavs. However, I think that spelling it Tayla is chavvy

This is why I'm not the god of baby names tho <shrug>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now