Confessions of a flippant baby namer

(107 Posts)
merryberry Sat 12-Sep-09 10:58:03

Had to give my older boy's middle name this morning. Eyebrow was raised, explanation was given: 'It means happiness in Hebrew'.

Truth is, me and DH just loved the geektastic Gil Grissom character in CSI. 'Happiness' is a handy beard for sin of naming pfb after TV character.

Hoping to hear something worse to overshadow ours.

golgi Sat 19-Sep-09 22:15:28

When I was pregnant with my second, I was trying to explain imminent arrival to toddler first-born:

"You are going to have a little brother"

"Like Peppa Pig?"

"Yes, like Peppa Pig"

"Likkle Brother George"

I didn't have any other name in mind. So my son is named after George Pig.

DoNotPressTheRedButton Sat 19-Sep-09 20:33:49

DS2 was named after a racing driver Dh much admired

Well so we tell people- really he was named Stirling because babies are so damned expensive and the cost was doing our heads in blush.

mustrunmore Fri 18-Sep-09 20:40:59

ds1 is named after we saw a keyring promoting a business with that name, and liked it! Well, we'd seen the name, and then my Mum bought a second hand travel cot with the zip-pull on the bag replaced with the keyring. It was fate grin

Sunshinemummy Fri 18-Sep-09 13:24:13

My name is Sunshinemummy and I am a flippant baby namer.

DS's first name is after a character I loved from an 80s TV programme. DH has not yet worked this out. DS's middle name is after the name of the greastest ever Everton player (and it's his grandad's nickname) which was DH's choice.

DD is named after a character in The Maltese Falcon, which is set in San Francisco and is a place where DH was spending a lot of time while I was pregnant. Her middle name is after my mum who died when I was 18.

chegirl Wed 16-Sep-09 11:34:07

Sorry Dee I sort of outed myself by mistake. I was gathering the courage to break the news on our thread. I was going to do it soon - honest blush

Anyway - Shabs knows so really you should be telling her off for keeping it quiet grin

<desperately tries to wriggle out of it>

Deemented Wed 16-Sep-09 07:59:01

Now hang on just a cotton pickin minute...

Chegirl - you're upduffed??? Why did i not know this???? (or did i, and just have placenta brain?)

chegirl Tue 15-Sep-09 22:43:38

I just remembered that I said to my OH on the way to the registry office 'ohh shall we add *** to his names?'(DS3) and OH said 'if you want'

Thats fairly flippant isnt it?

TamTam29 Tue 15-Sep-09 18:37:21

rosietoes - all my aunties are known by different names for that same reason! DG decided he didnt like the names my DN registered them with so gave them different ones.

bluebump Tue 15-Sep-09 18:14:59

I don't have a middle name but my DS has 2, his first name and middle name initials are T.H.E and his surname is an animal (my DP's surname) - everyone else realised this except us blush, even the registrar pointed it out.

rosietoes Tue 15-Sep-09 18:03:00

My parents decided on a boy & girl name for future sprog. When I was born, Pop trotted off to register my name. He came back with big smile & told my mother he decided in the end to name me after her!
I'm a 'junior' and it's caused no end of confusion ever since.

TamTam29 Tue 15-Sep-09 15:30:30

i was given my middle name on the spot at my Christening as the Priest didnt think my first name was a Christian name or a "proper" name.

All the family started suggesting names at random & I ended up with my Nan's suggestion!

NewbeeMummy Tue 15-Sep-09 15:09:36

DD may still be named after my favorite bicycle - but it's Julianna, so not that obvious one would hope

HigherThanAWombat Tue 15-Sep-09 14:57:22

It's from the extended universe.

HigherThanAWombat Tue 15-Sep-09 14:57:02

Not Padme either.

thell Tue 15-Sep-09 14:48:38

Padme?

Some lovely names in sci-fi / fantasy.
I'm especially partial to Anakin, and Arwen and Galadriel.
I'm training to be a Holistic Masseuse, and wanted to all myself Lothlorien Therapies, but my friends say it's too cheesy :p

HigherThanAWombat Tue 15-Sep-09 12:20:13

And if/when I have a daughter she'll most likely be named for a Star Wars character. And no,not Leia.grin

thell Tue 15-Sep-09 10:13:52

Crash - I hope she's called T'Pau

HolidaysQueen Tue 15-Sep-09 10:00:58

mb - i've never told my DH that one of the main reasons I really liked Leo for DS was because of my favourite character from the West Wing... And I have been known to mention Gil to him as an option should we ever have a DS2!

HigherThanAWombat Tue 15-Sep-09 09:49:52

No kids yet but I'm planning on naming a future ds after Angus Young,the guitarist in my favourite band AC/DC.

I'm also a Star Wars geek so I'm sure my ds won't complain too much when he finds out that the alternative would be Anakin.grin

HigherThanAWombat Tue 15-Sep-09 09:41:54

Congratulations Chegirl.grin What wonderful news.

MB I really like the name Linden. Also the name of a US prez.

DD was named after DP's our favorite indy 80's band.

I love it and somehow it just works

thumbwitch Tue 15-Sep-09 01:36:34

Chegirl - fantastic news, congratulations!

My DS has my maiden name as his second middle name. I fully paid for that, as I had to fill in all his forms for emigration and passport and Aussie citizenship and having 3 quite long "first" names is a trial. He will not be happy when he has to do it himself, poor boyblushgrin

ErikaMaye Mon 14-Sep-09 23:47:40

Chegirl congrats grin

If DS was a girl, he'd be being called Nefer. I suggested it almost as a joke to DP as it means "The Beautiful One" (Nefertiti meaning "The Beautiful One Has Come" for those of you that are interested!) and he fell in love with it. So now we're just going to give him rather a lot of names instead grin

merryberry Mon 14-Sep-09 22:22:44

thank you meandmymonkey. then try ds2, whose middle name is Linden because I a) like th tree and b) wanted it as his first name (short version, Den, Denny) so my two boys together sound like east end ganster circa 1962. Ah well, at least the girl who never way avoided being an Ada, after Byron's daughter, cos she invented machine code...

merryberry Mon 14-Sep-09 22:16:47

Potta, Ff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now