Confessions of a flippant baby namer

(107 Posts)
merryberry Sat 12-Sep-09 10:58:03

Had to give my older boy's middle name this morning. Eyebrow was raised, explanation was given: 'It means happiness in Hebrew'.

Truth is, me and DH just loved the geektastic Gil Grissom character in CSI. 'Happiness' is a handy beard for sin of naming pfb after TV character.

Hoping to hear something worse to overshadow ours.

chegirl Tue 15-Sep-09 22:43:38

I just remembered that I said to my OH on the way to the registry office 'ohh shall we add *** to his names?'(DS3) and OH said 'if you want'

Thats fairly flippant isnt it?

Deemented Wed 16-Sep-09 07:59:01

Now hang on just a cotton pickin minute...

Chegirl - you're upduffed??? Why did i not know this???? (or did i, and just have placenta brain?)

chegirl Wed 16-Sep-09 11:34:07

Sorry Dee I sort of outed myself by mistake. I was gathering the courage to break the news on our thread. I was going to do it soon - honest blush

Anyway - Shabs knows so really you should be telling her off for keeping it quiet grin

<desperately tries to wriggle out of it>

Sunshinemummy Fri 18-Sep-09 13:24:13

My name is Sunshinemummy and I am a flippant baby namer.

DS's first name is after a character I loved from an 80s TV programme. DH has not yet worked this out. DS's middle name is after the name of the greastest ever Everton player (and it's his grandad's nickname) which was DH's choice.

DD is named after a character in The Maltese Falcon, which is set in San Francisco and is a place where DH was spending a lot of time while I was pregnant. Her middle name is after my mum who died when I was 18.

mustrunmore Fri 18-Sep-09 20:40:59

ds1 is named after we saw a keyring promoting a business with that name, and liked it! Well, we'd seen the name, and then my Mum bought a second hand travel cot with the zip-pull on the bag replaced with the keyring. It was fate grin

DoNotPressTheRedButton Sat 19-Sep-09 20:33:49

DS2 was named after a racing driver Dh much admired

Well so we tell people- really he was named Stirling because babies are so damned expensive and the cost was doing our heads in blush.

golgi Sat 19-Sep-09 22:15:28

When I was pregnant with my second, I was trying to explain imminent arrival to toddler first-born:

"You are going to have a little brother"

"Like Peppa Pig?"

"Yes, like Peppa Pig"

"Likkle Brother George"

I didn't have any other name in mind. So my son is named after George Pig.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now