Confessions of a flippant baby namer

(107 Posts)
merryberry Sat 12-Sep-09 10:58:03

Had to give my older boy's middle name this morning. Eyebrow was raised, explanation was given: 'It means happiness in Hebrew'.

Truth is, me and DH just loved the geektastic Gil Grissom character in CSI. 'Happiness' is a handy beard for sin of naming pfb after TV character.

Hoping to hear something worse to overshadow ours.

MaggieVirgoOn Sun 13-Sep-09 15:56:09

People always smirk when I tell them my son's mn. It is my Dad's name though, and I knwo it's a bit dated-sounding to this generation but I wanted to put his name in rather than just bunging James or Daniel in, ykwim (nothing against those names, but my Dad's name, for all its datedness was the name I wanted my son to have...) People do over react to it imo

MaggieVirgoOn Sun 13-Sep-09 16:00:51

What's the GLTC catalogue?? can't think at all. Moodlum you must give me a clue, what is the name...?

Somebody told me that they did like my daughter's name but they saw it in the Pottery Barn catalogue (which put them off it they told me). smile thank yoooo.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 13-Sep-09 16:37:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 13-Sep-09 16:40:05

MaggieVirgoOn Sun 13-Sep-09 16:57:54

that made me laugh reality! better to be david D davis davidson davies with a lovely stepdad though!!

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 13-Sep-09 19:47:19

twirlymum Sun 13-Sep-09 20:07:49

Cyteen it's not spiderman is it? grin

Still wish we had been brave enough to give ds Frodo as a middle name.... (we love LOTR)

Ds has quite an unusual name, the downside (to her) is that she can never buy that personalised crap from shops (pencils, mugs etc)

NotanOtter Sun 13-Sep-09 20:11:45

chegirl are you pregnant????????

twirlymum Sun 13-Sep-09 20:12:08

Meant dd

moodlumthehoodlum Sun 13-Sep-09 20:12:20

Twirly - we're very lucky ds wasn't either Frodo or Bilbo. Or at least "personalised rug name" Frodo (or Bilbo) Hoodlum. DH was set on this LOTR type namings until I sought refuge in an inspiring catalogue. hmm

Poor lamb.

PinkTulips Sun 13-Sep-09 20:26:16

I pretty much behaved myself with my kids, although i have to admit ds1's middle name was rather randomly chosen and as a result ds2's was chosen for the number of letters as it meant dd, ds1 and ds2 all have 5,7,5 names and their first names all have the same cadence and being a bit weird i got a bit obsessed with that concept and was more concerned with the length of the name than what it actully was blush

I have no middle name as i was born in Holland and over there a nam has to be a recognised name to be allowed by the registrars. My dad spent so long trying to convince them that my very Irish first name was actually a name and that yes, it really was spelt like that that he stormed out without giving me my middle name which should have been Siobhán as he couldn't face explaining the fada grin

chegirl Sun 13-Sep-09 20:31:44

notanotter blush

LOL at Frodo. When DD chose a name for DS2 (American actor/crush) I asked DS1 if he would pick one too. Legolas was a bit too edgy even for me smile

NotanOtter Sun 13-Sep-09 20:37:01

wow i am delighted for you! when is it due?

chegirl Sun 13-Sep-09 20:58:30

Errrm not totally sure. Really didnt think it would happen so quickly so hadnt made a note of any dates IYSWIM. blush. Early April ish.

Take note any 40 somethings who think these things dont happen grin

BumperliciousVsTheDailyHate Sun 13-Sep-09 21:01:10

DD was named after a girl in the Sweet Valley High books, and she was a bitch. I just remembered the name when pg and both of us liked it. DH thinks it's very funny though has vetoed Andrina from the Drina Ballerina books for the (theoretical) next one grin

NotanOtter Sun 13-Sep-09 21:04:45

i am delighted! keep us informed of baby progress please smile

Heated Sun 13-Sep-09 21:07:32

Chegirl, was so busy working out all your dcs' names (love the ones I've managed to work out) that almost missed your exciting news:

Congratulations!!

chegirl Sun 13-Sep-09 21:12:38

Thank you very much smile

Just getting used to the idea, poor OH just looks a bit defeated grin.

heated glad you like the names so far! All of my DCs have a 'normal' one so they can use it if they grow up to be a Judge or something.

Awww Che - you have made my day with your news smile I was nearly 41 when I had DS4 shock xxx

chegirl Sun 13-Sep-09 21:39:52

Thanks Shabba. I have been outing myself all over MNs tonight!

It just sort of slipped out blush

....as the actress said to the Bishop grin

Im so delighted for you xxx

chegirl Sun 13-Sep-09 21:44:25

I knew you wouldnt let that one pass grin

I have standards to keep Che!! wink

medu Sun 13-Sep-09 22:25:07

I'm new on here, so don't mean to butt in, but I just wanted to add my congratulations to everyone else's Chegirl. As a 42 year old, I'm loving the fact that you'll make it all look so easy now. I loved being an older Mum, and never once have I been mistaken for his Grandma, thank goodness! I'm sure kids keep us looking young, you know? All of my 3 have really unusual names DD1 was named after a friend of mine and also has an unusual middle name, DD2's name is a Romany one, with her middle name (also unusual) being French. DS was named for a character in a book, but has two 'normal' middle names, being the names of both of his Grandfathers who sadly have passed away. They've never had any teasing etc for their names, and I like to think I've given them names 'to live up to'. DD's 1&2 are now 18 and 16 respectively and they love their unusual names. I was very nearly press ganged by an Aunt into calling DD1 Jessica! So glad I didn't, and no offence meant at all, as it's a very pretty name, but there were 5 in her 1st year class!

My four lads all have conventional names - Daniel, Gareth, Matthew and Thomas BUT when Tom was at nursery two little girls (who were cousins) were in his group.

There last name was Pepper and their first names were <<small drum roll>> Pearl and Polly <<small snigger>> it still makes Tom laugh 9 years down the line!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now