Poppy?

(74 Posts)

Is it a dog's name??? I really like the name but made the mistake of telling DH that a lot of dogs have this name and now he doesn't like it!!!

Schulte Wed 05-Aug-09 09:15:40

To be honest I can't see a grown up woman be called Poppy. It may be cute for a little girl but not for an adult?

Schulte Wed 05-Aug-09 09:16:37

Oh, I see this point has already been made...

RetroMum1 Wed 05-Aug-09 09:55:44

I second what CasperCat said. Poppy is my absolute favourite name in the world but again i am biased with having a Poppy myself. But she is right whenever anyone asks what our daughter is called people always say and seem genuine oh what a lovely name or what a pretty name.

Also it is the least common flower name around here with her being the only one we know, there are lots of daisy's however.

I don't think it's a flaky name but then I think it's the child that makes the name not the other way around and our Poppy is very fiesty bordering on stroppy but she is hitting the terrible 2's! grin

Use it, use it, use it I am still 2 years on always very proud to say my daughter is called Poppy, and I thank the lord I didn't choose Isabella of which we have 6 coming to her party.

singersgirl Wed 05-Aug-09 12:50:39

I think the reason Poppy sounds like a little girl's name is that it's got a diminutive, abbreviated quality to it; it ends in 'y' so it sounds like a shorter version of something else, though I know it's not. I think it's more about the sound of the name - 'pop' as in bubbles, 'poppy' as in a lightweight type of music, 'poppet' as in a little sweetie. The three ps are very cute and bouncy (compared to, say, Lily, which is rather elegant and smooth).

But I always overanalyse things...

tryingtobemarypoppins Wed 16-Sep-09 20:21:14

Sorry to highjack but I am gutted as my 'friend' used our first name choice 'Evie' today sad after the birth of her DD. Our other choice was Poppy or Lily

What goes better with a surname Williams?

or shall I just sick with Evie and think sod it!

persephoneplum Thu 17-Sep-09 10:21:43

I have a huge dislike for this name. It's insubstantial, another word for passing wind, and a much-used name for a grandparent.

I would see a Poppy as lithe and graceful, with pretty features. Too bad if she wasn't. I knew a very awkward teenage Poppy with dreadful acne, and her name always struck me as clashing with her appearance and I felt sorry for her. I stay away from names which strongly indicate a particular appearance.

xtinamummy27 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:43:24

love this name, definately in the top 10 should jelly bean be a girl grin

Teamthrills Sun 23-Sep-12 21:47:48

I have never really thought of it as a dog's name, but I would say it's a very popular name - I know 3 Poppys.

YouMayLogOut Sun 23-Sep-12 22:08:32

Poppy is a lovely name!

Petra is unusual, perhaps even a bit odd.

delilah88 Sun 23-Sep-12 23:22:40

I know two lovely, successful, pretty 30-somethings called Poppy, so it doesn't hinder people!

boyfallingoutofthesky Mon 24-Sep-12 08:02:21

I know one Poppy personally aged 2 and hear it a lot. I know it was not the question, but it is not unusual, it was number 14 in the name charts for England and Wales last year with 2932 babies called it! So if you want unusual I'd find something else!
Never known any dogs called Poppy, but one cat! Think it is now well enough established as achild's name for this not to matter (not like Rex, which I have also seen on this board...)

midori1999 Mon 24-Sep-12 08:49:38

One of my dogs is called Poppy and for that reason we won't ever use this name. I wouldn't care if someone else's dog was called it though!

Kaekae Sun 30-Sep-12 00:02:18

Far to popular, would use Polly as a refreshing alternative.

Kaekae Sun 30-Sep-12 00:02:38

too*

Dogsmom Sun 30-Sep-12 18:55:06

In reply to the original post yes it is a popular dogs name, probably one of the most popular at the moment. I'm a groomer and I know a LOT, usually cocker spaniels or westies, other common female dogs names are Maisie, Bonnie, Holly, Daisy, Rosie, Jess & Lucy.

This is the reason I'm finding it hard choosing a name for our daughter!

Having said that there aren't many names I haven't come across for a dog at some point so there's always a chance you'll get someone say 'ooh I know a dog/cat with that name'.

CPtart Sun 30-Sep-12 19:26:30

Awful. A cutesy little girl name in the same vein as Lily, Daisy, Maisie, Evie, Millie, Ellie.......

Grannylipstick Sun 30-Sep-12 20:24:51

We had a lovely little yorkie called poppy. We lost her when she was 14. We now have the most beautiful grand daughter who is 2 called poppy. It's a lovely name

Desiderata Sun 30-Sep-12 20:28:01

I've known several girls called Poppy in my time, and they're all as mad as a box of frogs.

Baffledandbewildered Mon 01-Oct-12 09:30:49

We have a 25 year old Poppie it's lovely and better still she likes her name! Result ! We've done something right LOL

OhSiena Mon 01-Oct-12 09:45:08

My son has a dogs name.

Or rather a human name that lots of dogs have, he's not called Rover.

He's 12 no one has ever commented on the dog name thing to him, and certainly no teasing because of it. When he was younger he thought it was great when he met a dog with the same name as him, I may have been thinking (oh not another dog) but he was quite happy declaring 'that's my name too.'

He loves his name, and I still like it despite all the dogs.

Poppy is very pretty.

And anyway all dogs seem to be called Molly.

I like Molly too though.

Maybe I just like dogs names.

So probably best to ignore me.

RobinSparkles Mon 01-Oct-12 09:53:44

I like it! smile

I think it's pretty and names grow with the child, IMO.

It's definitely not "overused" around here as I don't know any children (or dogs) called Poppy, and I attend numerous toddler groups and work in a school!

delilah88 Mon 01-Oct-12 10:00:55

I know two young women called poppy. The first v beautiful, happy, fairy-like: it suits her. Not the sharpest tool in the box and physically awkward: it seems like a bad name. Even with the first, glamorous one it feels a bit like her parents wanted to infantilise her. It's a name all the boys like though.

delilah88 Mon 01-Oct-12 10:01:22

I mean THE SECOND is not the sharpest tool in the box etc. Sorry!

OrangeFireandGoldashes Wed 03-Oct-12 12:53:30

Zombie thread! Wonder what the OP went with eventually?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now