Your opinion on these names, please? English naming "rules" are a book with 7 seals to me... [hmm]

(178 Posts)
1horatio Mon 18-Apr-16 21:43:14

so...:
Vela (which I love and is also the name of a constellation)
Carina (honours somebody that saved my life...)
Erica
Louisa
Carla
Kira (Kira doesn't come from Ciara, it's the feminine form of Cyrus. I think this sounds spunky)

Cedric (my absolute favourite, tbh. I looove this name)
Clement
Isaac
Orion

My better half is English but I am from all over Europe (Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Germany...)
The daddy works for a uni, I myself am a consultant (law).
The daddy would probably just name the kid after grandparents/favourite aunt/uncle and be done with it... But in Britain names can apparently be "wet", "chavy", "common", "try hard"?
The 2nd and 3rd name will honour relatives, so these will be fairly classic....

1horatio Mon 18-Apr-16 21:44:26

I'd appreciate every answer... I know, this is a long list... blush

NickNacks Mon 18-Apr-16 21:45:42

Rule 1- don't use the word spunky.

Carina is my favourite. Lovely reason, different enough not to be confused with others but not unheard of or hard to spell.

AlleyCatandRastaMouse Mon 18-Apr-16 21:47:48

Kira and Isaac for me.

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Mon 18-Apr-16 21:48:29

All the girls names are nice apart from vela and only because it makes me think of Harry Potter. I'm sorry but cedric is awful but the other boys names are nice. And yes, spunky isn't a good word to use (spunk = male ejaculate)

cece Mon 18-Apr-16 21:50:03

Vela - I would need to ask you how to say this if I only saw it written down.
Carina - quite like this.
Erica - OK, quite American
Louisa - gorgeous
Carla - OK but only just
Kira - like this too. But don't use the word spunky to describe it!

Cedric - awful, really old fashioned and a bit drippy
Clement - better but only a bit
Isaac - nice but quite popular
Orion - bit too unusual for my taste

Hassled Mon 18-Apr-16 21:50:35

None of them sound wet or "chavvy" or anything like that to me. Cedric is maybe too try hard. Go for Carina if it honours someone who saved your life - I think that'd be lovely.

1horatio Mon 18-Apr-16 21:50:56

thanks for the answer! smile
So, it sounds... Plucky? Fiery? Determined?

GooseberryRoolz Mon 18-Apr-16 21:53:27

Plucky is a fab word that's due a revival smile

Of those, I like Isaac and Carina (great reason behind that one too). I also like Clement but I wouldn't use it (fey, try hard AND wet on a real child smile)

1horatio Mon 18-Apr-16 21:53:40

Oh wow. I have to have a word with somebody. Because spunky happens to be a words I use quite a bit. I bet he thought it was absolutely hilarious hmm

I do hope it's obvious that we don't know the gender yet. I wouldn't call a boy Carina (or a girl Cedric)....

Sparklingsky Mon 18-Apr-16 21:57:06

Girls:
Carina
Erica
Louisa
Carla

Boys:
Isaac - definitely the best
Clement is ok - will probably always be called Clem
(Cedric is v 'wet', Orion is 'try hard')

MajesticWhine Mon 18-Apr-16 22:13:40

I quite like your names. There are no major horrors in there.
I think Orion is probably a bit "try hard"
Carina and Isaac are my favourites.

1horatio Mon 18-Apr-16 22:21:02

Cedric is wet and drippy sad?

Oh well, better to know it now. But maybe we can combine it with his (if the baby is a he...) grand-uncle's name, which is Peregrine and imo pretty badass and plucky :D I mean, it is a falcon... I've always thought it was rather creative and a surprisingly modern name for a guy that's around 60, tbh. A bit hippy-ish with the nature reference smile

But thank you for all the answers.... Very helpful! smile

Vela is pronounced by my hubby like Veyla, so I'd assume other people in the UK would as well? I pronounce it with an "Italian" e, no idea how to describe this sound... Sry.

2tired2bewitty Mon 18-Apr-16 22:30:30

I know a Peregrine (person not bird), he is know, without exception, as Perry.

shouldhavegonewithhannes Mon 18-Apr-16 22:32:27

I like Carina and Clement best. And also Peregrine.

AuntJane Mon 18-Apr-16 22:37:22

I like Kyra with a Y - name of Vaslav Nijinsky's daughter.

cece Mon 18-Apr-16 22:41:09

I know a Perry too. Quite like it. Although I think Peregrine would raise eyebrows.

Lancelottie Mon 18-Apr-16 22:41:33

Cedric is Little Lord Fauntleroy, sorry.

cece Mon 18-Apr-16 22:41:44

How about Victor? One of my current favourites.

GooseberryRoolz Mon 18-Apr-16 22:42:01

Peregrine isn't really a modern name. It has tweedy vibes.

GooseberryRoolz Mon 18-Apr-16 22:42:58

Sorry - meant to say it isn't modern or hippyish.

cornishglos Mon 18-Apr-16 22:48:16

Carina is lovely.

1horatio Mon 18-Apr-16 22:52:31

I personally happen to dislike the sound of Victor... Plus Viktor my grand-dad's 2nd name. Not really a first name option, tbh. But thank you for the answer... smile

Had to Google Little Lord Fauntleroy... Interesting.

Peregrine would raise eyebrows? Hm... Not sure if that's positive.

But I feel like if I'm not 100% sold before it's time to ultimately decide.... I'll probably freak out, which will make my dear hubby nervous... And we'll be stuck with Ignatius or Thomasina (no offence to anybody with these names. But my dad's actually called Thomas and Ignatius is really not my thing...)

Sparklingsky Mon 18-Apr-16 22:54:10

I agree. Vela is unusual and could grow on me.

I think boys names need to survive the playground. Ask a few male friends about Peregrine. I'm afraid it might be one of those names that might encourage teasing. (Not at 5 yrs old but perhaps older). Perry could be ok. For me Peregrine is with Tarquin and Quentin. (Not good). I've had friends say that some names are like putting a 'kick me' sign on someone's back...not something that had occurred to me before.

I chose very unusual names when I was pregnant. My husband refused - and now I'm glad he did. But if you and your partner love them then maybe the name won't matter.

cece Mon 18-Apr-16 22:57:42

A lot of your boys names are very 'old man'. unfashionable and would raise eyebrows. What I mean by this is people would think them unusual and brave choices.

I looooooove Thomasina - go for that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now