ethan or noah nieve or emilie

(19 Posts)
shez29 Wed 22-May-13 21:16:14

Hi not sure if im having boy or girl but stuck with names. Do you think ethan or noah for boy . If a girl nieve or emilie
smile

HollyGoHeavily Wed 22-May-13 21:19:11

Ethan and Noah are lovely names.

I'd like your girls names better if you spelt them differently - Niamh and Emily are both very pretty.

Decoy Wed 22-May-13 23:01:15

Ethan for a boy, Emily for a girl smile

TheSecondComing Wed 22-May-13 23:02:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wigglesrock Wed 22-May-13 23:06:46

I prefer Noah to Ethan. I'm not sure how you're pronouncing Nieve - is it to rhyme with sieve? or is it the curse of predictive text smile . I pronounce Emilie slightly differently to Emily but it's a lovely name.

CaptainJamesTKirk Wed 22-May-13 23:09:27

Nieve as in sieve?

No way... If you mean Niamh, then fine.

I like Noah and Emily from your list. I wouldn't use the spelling of Emily that you have suggested... She'd will have years of correcting everyone when they assume she's Enily!

Vijac Wed 22-May-13 23:21:29

I like Ethan more than Noah (which gets shortened to No). Niamh I pretty if there is Irish heritage, but it wouldn't seem right if not somehow. Emily is pretty too if English, and can be shortened to Em, if she wants a less girly name.

LittleMissLucy Wed 22-May-13 23:26:36

I like them all, can you use them all - first and 2nd names?

voucherprocon Thu 23-May-13 00:45:46

They are all a bit yawn, but not offensive. Go with the proper spellings of Niamh and Emily if you're going to use them though.

Kveta Thu 23-May-13 01:28:53

Emilie is a perfectly normal spelling, and is the accepted way in most countries on the Continent. I think it's a lovely name (but may be a little biased).

Of your boy's names, I prefer Noah to Ethan.

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Thu 23-May-13 07:02:13

Noah or Niamh.

Ethan is one of my irrational hatreds. (dunno why, it's the eeeeeth bit which reminds me of Keith, which, let's face it, is not a cool name and probably wasn't even in the 70s when we all had an Uncle called it!)

Emily is just meh. There are a gazillion bazillion of them and it sounds wet. (I love Emma though and think it's time for a comeback!)

I don't like alternative spellings. Smacks too much of trying to be original, when really it will just make most people roll their eyes.

ClipClap Thu 23-May-13 07:05:05

I know a Spanish Nieve, pronounced Nee-eb-eh. Be prepared for lots of that pronunciation if you do choose that spelling!

ENSMUM Thu 23-May-13 07:06:36

As others have said, definitely Niamh not Nieve . For boy I like Noah.

exoticfruits Thu 23-May-13 07:12:55

I like Emily but if you use Emilie the poor DC will be forever spelling it.

BourbonsAndTea Thu 23-May-13 07:25:06

I have to spell my name for people regularly. I don't mind. I've always liked having something about me that isn't predictable. I tend to only correct people if it's important really. I think all the names are great. Noah and Ethan maybe a little popular but children like to give each other nn's anyway.
Why not keep them all on the short list until little one turns up so you can pick the one that suits him/her best?

forgetmenots Thu 23-May-13 16:41:52

Noah and Niamh. smile

PioneersAndPirateShips Fri 24-May-13 12:17:46

Nieve is snow in Spanish, pronounced as ClipClap describes

miffybun73 Fri 24-May-13 12:39:19

I'd prefer Emily or Niamh.

Definitely prefer Ethan over Noah.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 24-May-13 18:39:07

Noah and Emily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now