names coming back around

(60 Posts)

When do you think Andrew will be popular again?

I have two Andrews very significant to me. It seems to have been quite popular around 1988-89.

How common is it now? Just musing really. Charlie was an "old" name when I was growing up and its adorable now.

Anyone with a baby Andrew on here? Any other names you would like to see make a comeback?

StellaNova Mon 13-May-13 20:55:04

DH wanted DS to be Andrew for the Scottish connection; he has an uncle known as Drew which I like. But I knew so many Andrews at school in the 80s I wasn't that keen.

On the other hand I also knew shedloads of Sarahs and I am now thinking it is a really pretty name - in the past I was blinded by the sheer ubiquity.

Yes, Sarah was never just Sarah. It was Sarah C or Sarah J.

It is a beautiful name, I only know of one Sarah born in the last 4 years!

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 13-May-13 21:01:49

We've recently called our baby Simon. Same sort of name I suppose. It draws comments, never negative. Similar type of name, I think.

Yes, Simon is similar. Its lovely, not common but not made up. Congratulations! smile

When I named DD1 her name was only just into the top 100. Around 80. Now its top ten.

When we named DD2 we knew her name was in the Top20 but didnt realise it was so popular in our area.

Now I have two children who will be forever followed around by their initial sad

Madcaplady Mon 13-May-13 21:13:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedma Mon 13-May-13 21:15:10

Ooh I LOVE Simon. Great name

Ruprekt Mon 13-May-13 21:18:07

A teacher I work with and I were discussing this last week.

We discussed the Jensons and Jaydons and she said if you want an unusual name call your child Peter or David!!

Michael
Paul
Simon
Andrew
Stuart
Stephen

Sarah
Nicola
Debbie
Louise

I wanted Nicole for DD2 but DP vetoed it.

Her middle name is Louise though.

idiot55 Mon 13-May-13 21:23:11

I often wonder when the names of my era will come back:

lynsey
Elaine
Gillian
Fiona
Lesley
Sharon
Nicola

Steven
Steohen
Andrew
Robert
Alister
Mark

etc etc

twinklestar2 Mon 13-May-13 21:26:18

Wannabe - I adore the name Nicole

I shall work on him for DD3 grin

(We probably arent having any more babies.)

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-13 21:45:25

<twirls>

in 12 posts, you've namechecked me and three of my four siblings grin

<children of the 70s/80s>

dietcokeandwine Mon 13-May-13 22:07:55

I know a couple of baby/toddler Andrews and a 5 year old Stephen. And, now I come to think of it, five different Sarahs, who are all preschool age and below. That name certainly seems to be 'coming back', amongst people I know anyway!

We have a baby Nicholas and i absolutely love his name but it's very much of a name of the 70s/80s, I think. I went to school with various Nicks/Nicholases (in amongst the Pauls, Marks, Philips and Simons) but don't know any other little ones apart from mine.

ivykaty44 Mon 13-May-13 22:12:05

what is the sarah c? sarah jane but sarah c?

Richard
Craig
Martin
Russell
Mark
John
Peter
Jane
Stephanie
Susannah
Julie
Samantha
Emma

ivykaty44 Mon 13-May-13 22:13:27

Oh and

Amanda

An example of a surname initial. There were so many in my year at school they were known by their first name and surname initial.

exoticfruits Mon 13-May-13 22:19:31

You are always safe with Andrew- it is a classic. So is Sarah - it has always been my favourite, but I have no DDs.

halestone Mon 13-May-13 22:20:38

My DD 22wks middle name is Elizabeth which was very unusual around where i live. Since she has been born in December though i have heard of 2 more Elizabeth but 1st names.

I would of loved to have called her Margaret i love that name (Margi for short). But DP put his foot down.

If we had, had a boy he was going to be called David Michael.

CremeEggThief Mon 13-May-13 22:21:48

There's a Joanna and a Christina in the Nursery class of my DS's school. I think they're both lovely names.

50shadesofknackered Mon 13-May-13 22:28:08

What about Claire? I think it's a lovely name but is very dated to the 70's and 80's. like Sarah there were so many Claire's they were known as Claire J, Claire P etc. You never hear of this name being used now.

forgetmenots Mon 13-May-13 22:40:02

I like Peter and think it's due a revival.
Claire and Sarah were a really popular sibling set in the 80s too, have always preferred Claire to Sarah but can see both coming back if we give it another five-ten years!

It's more the 60s/70s names I can't imagine - Barbara, Linda, Sharon, Gloria, Janet, Marion etc... And Trevor, Terry, Kevin etc!

CremeEggThief Mon 13-May-13 22:46:35

Sarah is very popular among under tens in the Republic of Ireland. It wasn't that common there, when I was growing up in the eighties. I only knew four altogether, from two different primaries and one secondary, and my best friend at the time had a big sister Sarah.

Pancakeflipper Mon 13-May-13 22:49:45

Alan.

I was thinking at the weekend that it is time for an Alan revival.
And a few Lee's and a few Sean's/Shaun's.

I love andrew do much it's ridiculous! Dd1 (8) was going to be andrew murray surname for a while if she was a ds, lucky we changed our minds a million times as andy murray really broke out around then! I also have a couple of exes called andrew so dp wouldn't use it for ds sad i intend to force it onto my grandchildren tho grin

Sarah is also a fantabulous name.... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now