Pronouncing Caitlin?

(34 Posts)
Clawdy Fri 22-Mar-13 17:11:28

We nearly picked Caitlin for DD's name years ago. I thought of it as "Kate-lin" though I knew as it is Irish it was more likely to be pronounced "Cat-lin". Now a friend from Northern Ireland tells me it is pronounced more like "Cash-lin". How do you say it? The two Caitlins I knew were both "Kate-lin"......

We say Kate-lin here, Caity for short pronounced as you would Katy

MidnightMasquerader Wed 27-Mar-13 17:41:12

^^ Exactly, Stokes - that's the entire point.

Stokes Wed 27-Mar-13 11:26:47

" I know 2 girls (8 and 5) who are Caitlin, pronounced as spelt."

Cotch-leen, then? ;) It is an Irish name and that is the phonetic pronounciation in Irish.

Bartlebee Tue 26-Mar-13 22:02:52

I know 2 girls (8 and 5) who are Caitlin, pronounced as spelt.

I also know an adult Caitlin, pronounced Cosh-leen, which is horrid, imo.

HappyHugs Mon 25-Mar-13 20:45:43

I'm in NI and know 2 Caitlins. Adult pronounces it 'Catch-leen' and the child is 'Kate-lin'. Changed over the years I suppose...

FunSizedMum Mon 25-Mar-13 13:05:04

Yep, would definately say Kate-lin here in Wales too. Had no idea we were bastardising an Irish name though. Sorry about that. Don't you just hate it when that happens! wink What about the Welsh name Catrin instead? That most rare of beasts - a Welsh, easy to pronounce, phonetic choice.

BeeBopDingALing Mon 25-Mar-13 12:25:23

I've only ever heard it said Kate-lin.

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 25-Mar-13 11:20:33

Having an Irish grandfather, I've always pronounced Caitlin as coyt-leen, and have annoyed parents in the past by pronouncing their beloved Caitlin's name as coyt-leen and not kate-lin. When they say something, I smile and say, "oh sorry, but coyt-leen is a genuine Irish pronunciation, so I just assumed."

I am in the camp that, if you want kate-lin, you spell it Katelyn or Kaitlyn, but leave Caitlin be.

OkayHazel Sun 24-Mar-13 15:15:18

Kate-lin at my end!

Stokes Sat 23-Mar-13 20:51:00

Completely agree with Ficidy, I would spell is Cáitlín and pronounce it Coyt-leen. I think Caitlín pronounced Cotchleen is fine too. Caitlin pronounced Katelynn makes my teeth itch.

MamaBlue4 Sat 23-Mar-13 16:07:56

MTSgroupie I'm English and I've always pronounced it Kate-lin, like I said my niece is called it. Tbh I've never been heard it called anything else so this is all new to me!

Clawdy Sat 23-Mar-13 08:12:54

Interesting replies,looks like Caitlin has become an anglicized name in some ways.

simplesusan Fri 22-Mar-13 23:45:44

I always thought it was Kathleen, pronounced something like Cot ch leen, as there is definately no th sound.

It's like Cotch-leen in Irish in the dialect I learned anyway. I know 2 Katelyns. If you were going to pronounce it Katelyn then why not spell it that way.

WafflyVersatile Fri 22-Mar-13 22:40:46

I'm fairly sure the Scottish one I know is Kate-lin.

I say Kate-Linn myself. I'm in NI and have a southern friend who pronounces her name Catch-Linn.

Haylebop12 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:36:09

Dds middle name is caitlyn, pronounced Kate-Lin. Few family members couldn't get the hang of it and tried to say cat-a-Lin before being promptly corrected!

Startail Fri 22-Mar-13 22:32:12

Kate-Lin here of Welsh extraction I believe.

Ficidy Fri 22-Mar-13 22:23:40

I'm Irish too and would pronounce it Coyt-leen. There should actually be a fada (accent) above the 'a' and the last 'i'. This name drives me mad because nobody pronounces it properly nowadays. It's the Irish for Kathleen, but most people don't seem to know that.

I think if you're (by this, I mean the vast number of people who have anglicised the name Caitlin) going to call your child Katelynn, then spell it like that, not a totally different name that should be pronounced differently.

MTSgroupie Fri 22-Mar-13 19:36:45

Where were you ladies when I needed you last week? smile

Some (English?) posters insisted that the correct pronunciation for Caitlin was 'Kath-leen'. I fruitlessly tried to make the point that it was an Irish name and however the Irish pronounced it was the 'correct' pronunciation.

Letticetheslug Fri 22-Mar-13 19:32:42

I've always said Kat-lin, but my friend's daughter is Kate-lin,

ElegantSufficiency Fri 22-Mar-13 19:22:07

Coythchleen or cotchleen
But unless you're Peig Sayers you can say Caitlin! I'm Irish and I'd raise an eyebrow now if somebody said, this is my daughter cotchleen. Unless maybe they went to a gaelscoil in which case i'd raise my eyebrown again {joke}

MajaBiene Fri 22-Mar-13 19:16:00

I'm aware it should be pronounced something like Cotchleen, but also that most English speakers use Kate-lin or Cat-lin these days.

MamaBlue4 Fri 22-Mar-13 19:12:54

My Niece is called Kaitlyn which I guess is the same just different spelling and we pronounce it Kate-lin

wedontplaywithelectrics Fri 22-Mar-13 17:58:06

I'm English and pronounce it Kate-Lin x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now