Pronouncing Caitlin?

(34 Posts)
Clawdy Fri 22-Mar-13 17:11:28

We nearly picked Caitlin for DD's name years ago. I thought of it as "Kate-lin" though I knew as it is Irish it was more likely to be pronounced "Cat-lin". Now a friend from Northern Ireland tells me it is pronounced more like "Cash-lin". How do you say it? The two Caitlins I knew were both "Kate-lin"......

OkayHazel Sun 24-Mar-13 15:15:18

Kate-lin at my end!

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 25-Mar-13 11:20:33

Having an Irish grandfather, I've always pronounced Caitlin as coyt-leen, and have annoyed parents in the past by pronouncing their beloved Caitlin's name as coyt-leen and not kate-lin. When they say something, I smile and say, "oh sorry, but coyt-leen is a genuine Irish pronunciation, so I just assumed."

I am in the camp that, if you want kate-lin, you spell it Katelyn or Kaitlyn, but leave Caitlin be.

BeeBopDingALing Mon 25-Mar-13 12:25:23

I've only ever heard it said Kate-lin.

FunSizedMum Mon 25-Mar-13 13:05:04

Yep, would definately say Kate-lin here in Wales too. Had no idea we were bastardising an Irish name though. Sorry about that. Don't you just hate it when that happens! wink What about the Welsh name Catrin instead? That most rare of beasts - a Welsh, easy to pronounce, phonetic choice.

HappyHugs Mon 25-Mar-13 20:45:43

I'm in NI and know 2 Caitlins. Adult pronounces it 'Catch-leen' and the child is 'Kate-lin'. Changed over the years I suppose...

Bartlebee Tue 26-Mar-13 22:02:52

I know 2 girls (8 and 5) who are Caitlin, pronounced as spelt.

I also know an adult Caitlin, pronounced Cosh-leen, which is horrid, imo.

Stokes Wed 27-Mar-13 11:26:47

" I know 2 girls (8 and 5) who are Caitlin, pronounced as spelt."

Cotch-leen, then? ;) It is an Irish name and that is the phonetic pronounciation in Irish.

MidnightMasquerader Wed 27-Mar-13 17:41:12

^^ Exactly, Stokes - that's the entire point.

We say Kate-lin here, Caity for short pronounced as you would Katy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now