Niamh vs Neve

(69 Posts)
Mango194 Mon 18-Mar-13 19:52:18

One month to go until DD1 is due and one of the (very few!) names on our shortlist is Niamh, which I've always loved. We live in England; do you think most people know the correct pronunciation, or would it be better to spell it Neve (I'd rather use the authentic spelling but don't want to saddle DD with an unpronounceable name, having grown up with one myself!). I should add that our Irish connection is fairly distant (my paternal grandmother, long deceased, and no other family there with whom we're in touch). Opinions gratefully received!

KobayashiMaru Mon 18-Mar-13 19:53:26

neve doesn't make the right sound at all. Spell it properly or don't use it, please.

Oh, I love that name - both versions <helpful>
On balance I'd go with 'Niamh' as a middle name and 'Neve' for a first name - I have a non-British first name and it can be a bit wearing to always have to spell it. Several times. And then it is still spelt incorrectly.

Lovely name smile.

eachtigertires Mon 18-Mar-13 19:54:57

I prefer Niamh definitely

Niamh every time

Trazzletoes Mon 18-Mar-13 19:55:28

Ooh I think Niamh is much prettier!

Also, I thought Neve was pronounced Nev - isnt that what Neve Campbell calls herself? Perhaps I'm wrong...

Anyway, I would go for Niamh.

HollyGoHeavily Mon 18-Mar-13 19:55:34

Go with Niamh - for non-irish speakers, it's one of the more manageable Irish names smile

Niamh, definitely

Niamh is nice / Neve is not.

gertrudestein Mon 18-Mar-13 19:56:35

I think it might depend where you live ... in London I grew up with a Niamh, an Aoife and a few Sians. You only have to ask once and then you know how to spell it! But she will definitely have to spell it out all her life ...

Bunbaker Mon 18-Mar-13 19:59:19

I think most people know how Niamh is spelt these days, don't they?

Niamh Cusack used to be in Heartbeat.

Elvensong Mon 18-Mar-13 20:00:37

Agree with Kobayashi, Neve isn't pronounced the same way as Niamh.

MsAkimbo Mon 18-Mar-13 20:02:05

Love the name. The traditional spelling specifically.

A million times Niamh. Neve is truly awful.

<affronted Irish person face>

Niamh every time.

2littlemonkeysjumping Mon 18-Mar-13 20:05:58

Niamh was our number 1 girls name (but we ended up with 2 lovely boys!!) I am irish but live in uk so before dc1 arrived I did a little straw poll of some English friends, wrote it down, asked them how to pronounce it- everyone knew the name. It's beautiful spelt the proper way, but I have to confess I really dislike 'anglicising' Irish names- use it properly, or pick something else I think! As it stands, she'll probably have to spell it out a lot, but she would still need to do that if you spelt it Neve too (which I previously thought was pronounced "nevv" as per Neve Campbell as someone said up thread. Good luck for your imminent arrival!

Bunbaker Mon 18-Mar-13 20:07:37

"Neve isn't pronounced the same way as Niamh. "

Oh, I thought it was. There is a Niamh at DD's school and it is pronounced Neve.

DanGleebals Mon 18-Mar-13 20:08:48

I have a Niamh - brilliant name! I've not met anyone yet who can't pronounce it and most people can spell it too. It's such a wonderful name (I am a bit biased grin)

LeslieWink1e Mon 18-Mar-13 20:09:56

Neve is awful. Neve probably has a sister called Tyler.

Niamh. It's not that hard. I know I'm Irish so obviously it doesn't seem that hard to me, but Neve is dreadful. I love Eve though.

wigglesrock Mon 18-Mar-13 20:10:00

I'd pronounce them differently too, Neve would rhyme with Lev, it would need to be spelt Neave for me to pronounce it like Niamh.

Niamh.

LeslieWink1e Mon 18-Mar-13 20:10:37

Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. Can I take it back before I'm lynched.

Elvensong Mon 18-Mar-13 20:10:50

In the part of Ireland where I live, Niamh is usually pronounced something like Nee-uv, not Neeve.

weegiemum Mon 18-Mar-13 20:11:09

Neve is a made up spelling for Niamh.

Like Ailly is made up for Eilidh, or Roory (yes I've seen it) for Ruaraidh.

Please use the authentic spelling. It's hardly unusual these days!

Elvensong Mon 18-Mar-13 20:11:26

Btw, I adore the name, however it's pronounced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now