If said my son was called Cameron...

(42 Posts)
Christelle2207 Sun 17-Mar-13 14:22:07

Would you automatically think Tory pm? It's the only name both dh and I like (baby not coming until August) yet a few days after deciding we liked the name I realised...
Am vehemently anti-Tory though don't find DC as objectionable as some of them.
I'm pretty sure it would be a non- issue when he is older and DC is no longer pm, and my good friends would know without asking that there was no link, but I can't fathom the idea of people that don't know me that well thinking I named him after a Tory pm when I definitely didn't!!!!

MidnightMasquerader Sat 23-Mar-13 04:08:32

Some people might think Davkd Cameron while he's in office, but no-one will think you named him after him...! Only the most hardcore, weirdo would name their DC after a Prime Minister.

DC will be gone before long, and your chld has the rest of his life to own the name.

It's a great name. smile

wedontplaywithelectrics Sat 23-Mar-13 00:19:30

I think of it as a solid,traditional Scottish name. I don't make the connection with the pm,although some people may x

rocket74 Fri 22-Mar-13 23:07:38

don't worry about it. David Cameron is such an insipid twunt that no one will remember him for anything other than his big shiny cheeks (wish Spitting Image would come back!!).
I like the name - and when I was looking at names for DD - it took weeks for me to make the connection between loving the name Maggie - and the bitch in blue who made the eighties so miserable!! (went with a diff name in the end).
I think my miner uncle would have had words!!

BabyHMummy Fri 22-Mar-13 22:12:45

never even occured to me! i think it is a lovely name and as long as both you and dh like it the who cares what other people think?!

Round here (Devon) it is a name on a par with Jordan & Brandon. I wouldn't associate it with DC & wouldn't think of it being Scottish either - just the little blighter who's at the root of all the trouble in the school.

AllPurposeNortherner Fri 22-Mar-13 22:03:27

I would think it would be the same as calling your child Margaret...OK in some areas, but if you live in places like the north east you would get some VERY funny looks...

bonbonpixie Fri 22-Mar-13 22:01:21

DD is Cameron, so naturally I love it. Here in Scotland few would make the link as its a very traditional name. On a visit to London a few months after she was born, almost every airport worker we came across asked if she was named after the PM.... Um no.

Ttcnumero3 Wed 20-Mar-13 20:58:43

it's very popular in Scotland - no one would bat an eyelid here..

badguider Wed 20-Mar-13 20:31:00

I think of Cameron McNeish first of all. I know lots of Camerons and think of it as a first name (I'm in Scotland).

Do you know who was PM when you were born? I don't blush and I am sure that DC won't be remembered like Churchill or Thatcher so I wouldn't worry.

willyoulistentome Wed 20-Mar-13 20:30:48

Just a lovely Scottish name to me.

bedmonster Wed 20-Mar-13 20:28:38

I would think of DC, but only as you have asked it. I have a lovely godson called Cameron, we call him Cam/Cammie. I never think of DC (Thank Fucking Christ) when I see him grin
I like the name smile

When we were expecting DD1, DP loved the name Maggie from the Rod Stewart song I think. Well, he never even stood a chance wink

TidyDancer Wed 20-Mar-13 18:45:45

And no, the PM connection wouldn't bother me. That tit won't be in power for much longer and will be about a memorable as a random morning shit.

TidyDancer Wed 20-Mar-13 18:44:19

It's an okay name. For me, it's a bit take it or leave it, I don't have strong feelings either way.

It is a very common name ime, you hear it a lot. It's become quite trendy, so you may want to consider whether you want a name you may hear frequently.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 19-Mar-13 13:21:42

My son's name is Cameron and I simply assume anyone who associates it with the PM is a bit dim - especially given the PM's name is David. Mind you, they equally tie with those who think he's named after a half-Cuban girl who became an actress.

Maggie111 Tue 19-Mar-13 09:19:03

As I read your post I thought "Yes, I would think of DC!"

And then I realised a friend of mine has a beautiful baby called Cameron and it never once occurred to me blush - my first reaction was that it's a lovely Scottish name.

And as everyone else says - DC wont be there for long. And it wont be too bad for him... Poor me lived up North with the name Margaret in the 80's... That was rotten!!

Laquila Mon 18-Mar-13 21:51:25

I second Jasbro and Vamosbebe's comments. It's a lovely name and Cam is a nice nickname.

mathanxiety Sun 17-Mar-13 21:57:35

Would be lovely with a Scottish surname. Not too Scottish the way Hamish or Struan might.

DC will sink without trace. If Labour etc. don't get him his own backbenchers will.

vamosbebe Sun 17-Mar-13 18:51:08

if I said my son's name was Cameron...

I'd say "Fry... Fry... Fry... Bueller...Bueller...Bueller" because I'm 38 and that's a great film! (I wouldn't say 'if you stuck a piece of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond'.)

Fab name, ignore the Tory connection, it'll be short-lived.

CocktailQueen Sun 17-Mar-13 17:54:53

I'd think you were Scottish! Lovely and common name in Scotland. Would not think Tory.

Christelle2207 Sun 17-Mar-13 17:52:43

Thanks for interesting thoughts. Yes I know it means crooked nose or something which isn't ideal but still a nice name. Dh's dad is Scottish and we have a Scottish surname (mc...) so I think it goes quite well thought he might sound a bit "too" scottish for a boy who lives in england.

Beatrixpotty Sun 17-Mar-13 17:47:01

I would think one of you might be Scottish

sjupes Sun 17-Mar-13 16:17:17

I love cameron smile dave'll be long gone and you'll have a lovely child with a lovely name.

Jasbro Sun 17-Mar-13 15:44:35

You might get the odd jokey reference made when he's born. But I wouldn't worry as I'm sure in five years David Cameron won't be top of everyone's mind. I see him more in the John Major than Thatcher category in terms of longevity and memorability.

My DD is called Cameron, named after an aunt.
Vehemently anti Tory here, Shiny Dave didnt cross my mind.

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Sun 17-Mar-13 15:13:07

No it wouldn't. I'd assume you had a Scottish link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now