Is this name to American for living in the UK?

(109 Posts)
Sprinklesomepixiedust Fri 15-Mar-13 20:55:52

DH and I have decided on a name for soon to be born DD1. When we revealed the name to my parents they said it sounded ridiculous and far too 'American' for living in the UK. However DH is American and before you say anything, there are careful reasons why we chose this name.
The name is Savannah Dallas Kaitlynne
Savannah is one of our favourite names and always has been. Dallas may sound a little ridiculous but it is where DH originates from and was where she was conceived naturally after 3 unsuccessful rounds of IVF in the UK. It is also pretty much my favourite place in the world! And Kaitlynne was the name of DH's sister who sadly died last year so we thought it would be nice to include that.
DH's family love the name but I do worry it sounds very American for the UK(we dont live in a particularly multi-cultural area at all, I think DH is pretty much the only foreign person!) What are your opinions on the name?

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Fri 15-Mar-13 21:51:59

Yes, MTS. They can pronounce it any way they like, it doesn't make it right. Would you pronounce Siobhan Si-ob-han?

LoganMummy Fri 15-Mar-13 21:58:27

Lovely name. Always the option to become Anna if your daughter wants a more British sounding name.

I love it. Savannah is beautiful.

Caitlin is not supposed to be pronounced kate-lyn. But there you go.

MTSgroupie Fri 15-Mar-13 22:03:57

Anne - 'Kathleen' is the anglicised pronunciation of a Gaelic name so why are you telling people that they are wrong and that the English pronunciation of a Gaelic name is the correct one?

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Fri 15-Mar-13 22:11:34

Kathleen is far closer than "kate-lyn" which is what people are suggesting here. But you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about it, so I think we should leave it there.

Kathleen = anglicised version of the spelling.

Caitlin= correct spelling of the name pronounced Cat-leen.

The pronounciation Kate-lyn is incorrect. But as others have said, people can pronounce their name how they like, just doesnt make it correct.

MTSgroupie Fri 15-Mar-13 22:17:47

Chip on my shoulder? Says the woman who is telling people that they don't know how to pronounce their own names. grin.

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Fri 15-Mar-13 22:21:13

Well they don't, do they? Is it your name? Why are you so touchy?

I have no chip on my shoulder. I just thought it was ironic that people were warning the OP that people would consider her illiterate and then telling her to spell the name in a way that was pronounced entirely differently to the way she was intending.

Slainte Fri 15-Mar-13 22:23:03

OP didn't you post this query a couple of days ago too? confused

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Fri 15-Mar-13 22:23:13

I realise that and like I did say, the sentiment is nice- but it still doesn't stop it being ridiculous.

This baby will one day be a person in their own right, it's cruel to lumber them with a stupid name just because it has family meaning- because they're the ones who have to live with it.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 15-Mar-13 22:24:35

Hang on a second, she is using Kaitlynne because it was her husband's sister's name - of course she isn't going to change the spelling hmm

I too prefer Savannah Kaitlynne Dallas, but I like the name Savannah and the middle names won't be used much.

But please, please, please don't tell her she was conceived in Dallas.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 15-Mar-13 22:25:17

And to answer you Euro - yes, lumbering a child with a "stupid" name because it is in honour of someone loved and not forgotten is a very good reason.

Slainte Fri 15-Mar-13 22:27:26

Sorry -I was thinking of another poster [slinks off thread]

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 15-Mar-13 22:30:01

No Slainte, that was Savanna-without-the-h.

That got narsty grin

Euro, just because you think it's a poor name, doesn't mean the child will.

FWIW, I have an extremely unusual name, one that was virtually unheard of in this country when I was born 44 years ago. Many people at the time struggled with the name. But I like it, it's me, my identity and I would never change it.

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Fri 15-Mar-13 22:37:39

OK. I will start again and attempt to be less clumsy with

I think it is really sweet to remember a deceased, loved family member through a name- but you have all been given the meaning behind the name, obviously leading you to see it in a positive way.

But other people throughout this child's life don't know the story behind the name- and I can see that something that sounds like its fresh out of Toddlers and Tiaras without knowing the heartfelt meaning may be a bit hmm. At the moment, you may think 'piss it! it's my child, she'll grow into her name!' - but all of those names together aren't terribly versatile ones. It sounds like word salad, and anyone not secretly thinking it is a complete and utter liar.

Savannah Kaitlynne is not to my taste- but would be fine smile

Why on earth do you feel the need to put Dallas in there? Seriously?

akaemmafrost Fri 15-Mar-13 22:41:40

I think it's beautiful and your reasons make it even more so smile.

Ignore the nasties.

Viviennemary Fri 15-Mar-13 22:45:38

Don't mind Savannah too much. It's growing on me. But not Dallas for a girl anyway. And don't much like Caitlin. But in the end it's your decision. And I agree that it is a bit too American for living in the UK.

TSSDNCOP Fri 15-Mar-13 22:54:32

Savannah Kaitlynne okey doke.

Dallas no. A child just does not need to know the location where it's DM and DF DTD.

PandaWatch Fri 15-Mar-13 23:12:07

Dallas is in fact an old Scottish name and a perfectly legitimate choice. I know two men called dallas and then there is the actress bryce dallas howard so I think it will now be accepted as unisex. I really like your name choice OP.

ProtegeMoi Fri 15-Mar-13 23:19:53

Savannah - lovely
Katelynne - not my choice of spelling but nice name and understand the reasons.
Dallas - god no! Naming a child after where they were conceived is awful and no child will thank you for it. It's like putting 'back alley behind the supermarket' in there.

Sprinklesomepixiedust Sat 16-Mar-13 00:07:47

Just want to clear a few things up - Kaitlynne will definitely be in her name and will only be spelt that way, as we are using it as it was the name of DH's late sister. Whether you believe it should be Caitlin or Kathleen will not change our minds - it will only be Kaitlynne. Also we are using Dallas more for the fact that it is DH's hometown and an extremely special place for the two of us, and personally I love the name and sound of Dallas - and as you say, as a middle name it will not be used much. The fact that she was conceived there just makes it more special and personal g Glad Savannah is getting good comments though!

Sprinklesomepixiedust Sat 16-Mar-13 00:09:11

Just want to clear a few things up - Kaitlynne will definitely be in her name and will only be spelt that way, as we are using it as it was the name of DH's late sister. Whether you believe it should be Caitlin or Kathleen will not change our minds - it will only be Kaitlynne. Also we are using Dallas more for the fact that it is DH's hometown and an extremely special place for the two of us, and personally I love the name and sound of Dallas - and as you say, as a middle name it will not be used much. The fact that she was conceived there just makes it more special and personal for us. Glad Savannah is getting good comments though!

TheSecondComing Sat 16-Mar-13 00:10:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toobreathless Sat 16-Mar-13 00:11:48

Savannah: not for me, but ok.

Kaitlynne: lovely, I usually am very anti alternative spellings but given the reasons for using it I think it's fine. Plus how often do you spell your MN out?

Dallas: urgh! Sorry, really dislike this and think it drags the whole name down and makes it sound cheap.

Savannah Kaitlynne
Or
Kaitlynne savannah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now