Food type names? Surely not!

(49 Posts)
Pinkbump3 Tue 05-Mar-13 14:05:08

So today dd points out a girl from nursery at the supermarket today called Vanilla? I thought I picked her up wrong but no her dad called her it! Definitely one of the strangest names I have heard in a while. I know technically its a plant extract and some would argue its a plant name but really! I just think of vanilla flavoured food! Any other food type names out there?

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Fri 08-Mar-13 21:17:34

<<Quite likes Rogan Josh>>
<<Adds to list>>

freerangeeggs Fri 08-Mar-13 20:44:45

Rogan Josh

ellesabe Fri 08-Mar-13 18:49:40

I taught a girl called Lettice once.

Her little brother was called Herb hmm

Feilefoo Fri 08-Mar-13 14:49:08

I know a girl named Cinnamon Pinto! A spice and a bean!

Moominsarehippos Fri 08-Mar-13 14:47:44

We know a Capucine. Like-ish the monkey (not really food-related). That always makes me smile.

WormCanner Fri 08-Mar-13 14:13:50

Actually Frikadelle is quite good smile

Pasiphae Fri 08-Mar-13 12:18:32

I loooove Basil, it's a great name, but I would never be brave enough to use it in the UK.

Sorrel, Cerise (it looks better when the food is in another language), Clafoutis, Gentiane, Juniper, Myrtille, Berry, Amandine, Benedict (sauce for the eggs), Florentine, Devon (cream), Mace, Coriander?

Moominsarehippos Fri 08-Mar-13 11:04:05

You just can't do Basil! Even now, if you go into any supermarket in the world, you will hear a Brits voice coming from the fresh herb section saying 'Basil...BA-sil...BASIL!' (fawlty towers), with the locals looking on with bemusement.

Frikadellen Thu 07-Mar-13 17:18:48

I love Basil and I always have but dh wouldn't budge

I know people called

Rosemary
Saffron
Poppy
Benedict (like Eggs Benedict smile )
Maicey
Ginger
and used to work with an Olive

Food names have been around for a long time we just dont think of whats deemed "normal" as a food name.

PureedGoodness Thu 07-Mar-13 16:53:09

saffron?

I'm sure someone on here has a Quenelle.

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Thu 07-Mar-13 14:27:07

Paxo?

My boys would both be called Magnum. Which actually isn't too bad, better than Choc-ice anyway.

Pinkbump3 Wed 06-Mar-13 19:12:51

Hehe loving the cravings!

I wonder if I'm having another girl as I have he same craving as when pg with dd1!

Pudgy2011 Wed 06-Mar-13 17:12:22

If I'd named DS after my cravings, he would have been called Spicy Hummus Beer. Which is how I knew I was having a boy without being told.

cece Wed 06-Mar-13 17:00:34

On the cravings front I would have

Rice-pudding

Icecube

and

OJ-and-lemonade

Quite like Icecube actually smile

Pinkbump3 Wed 06-Mar-13 16:52:27

Lol at some of the suggestions!

I like cherry and cara.

Curls 78 I never really thought about names in terms of food until I heard vanilla funny how it triggered looking at names differently!

Pesto broccoli really?

atthewelles Wed 06-Mar-13 14:07:56

Candy
Basil
Rosemary
Lovage
Anise
Berry
Cherry
Suzette (crepe)
Brandy
Cauliflower

Okay, I made that last one up.

PestoFrostissimos Wed 06-Mar-13 13:18:09

I think Broccoli is pretty for a girl smile

Cara and Desiree (more potatoes). But which came first, the name or the spud?

Curls78 Wed 06-Mar-13 13:12:44

If we were having a girl, I was considering Olive. Pretty but didn't really think of the food link strangely!

Pinkbump3 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:50:41

Dessie lol at Nilly hmm

Actually on the cravings front mine would be nectarine! I am craving them and peaches so bad!

I like flora! Reminds me of my niece Nora hehe!

MyNameIsAnAnagram Wed 06-Mar-13 10:18:36

Flora wink

DessieLou Wed 06-Mar-13 03:49:22

Going on the cravings idea I would have Battered-Sausage & Orange!
Vanilla is the kind of name I would think is lovely when my brain has been hijacked by hormones but in reality I could never do it! It doesn't even have any decent nicknames she could use...Van, Nilly, LaLa?! Poor kid.

WormCanner Wed 06-Mar-13 00:18:35

Anchovy sounds nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now