Saoirse (pronounced seer-sha)

(62 Posts)
somewherewest Tue 05-Mar-13 13:39:18

...sooo how cruel would I be to inflict this obscure Irish name on a child growing up in England grin. Honest opinions wanted. Its the Irish for 'freedom' by the way.

PS I'm posting as someone who always swears blind that she will give DCs nice 'neutral' names, so probably won't go there.

I agree, siofra is not great, it means changeling.

Ginebra Thu 07-Mar-13 11:53:47

@ kendodds, i didn't know about the magazine, I just picked up a vibe. So I've learnt something there.

As well as Síofra, I love Siún. Which can be used as a nn for Siobhán, siobhan is a bit dated for me but I love Siún. That's so pretty, but strong.

Ginebra Thu 07-Mar-13 11:54:48

I thought it meant fairy!
changeling is not a nice meaning for a name confused

Skygirls Thu 07-Mar-13 11:57:28

Lovely name, but I wouldn't have known how to pronounce it if I hadn't read the earlier posts.
I have a very good friend called Siobhan, who is Irish and told me how to pronounce, and a friend I called Grainy for the longest time until someone whispered that I should pronounce Grainne as Gron-ya. I apologized profusely to her, and she smiled and said it didn't bother her as she got that all the time.

Go with what you would like your daughter to be called, but also be aware that she'll grow up always having to spell her name and tell people how to pronounce it.
At least she'll probably be the only one in her class with that name.

LulaPalooza Thu 07-Mar-13 12:09:57

How do you pronounce Síofra?

I like the name Saoirse.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 07-Mar-13 12:41:13

I really really love the name - I do think such things are fading rapidly into the past. Maybe if I have a DD2!
Plus it's something that not loads of people would know, especially not in England. DH just thought it would get a lot of raised eyebrows / commrnts back in his home community.

wigglesrock Thu 07-Mar-13 13:07:39

It's a lovely name but I'm in NI and the political connotations is the first thing that popped into my head. Sort of nailing your colours to the flag so to speak. I also know about 5 dogs called it.

forgetmenots Thu 07-Mar-13 13:51:37

ginebra am I right in saying Siun can also be spelled Siubhan (but pronounced the same, not like shoo-von)? It's lovely.

No forgetmenots the bh makes a v sound so siubhan is Siobhan spelled incorrectly differently smile

Ah sorry blush it's spelled with a u in Scots Gaelic, o in Irish.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Thu 07-Mar-13 14:53:39

I really like it. I wouldn't worry about having to spell it, I have one of the most common names given in the year I was born and it has 3 spellings, so I'm constantly having to spell it out, and I have to spell out my surname as well. It's no big deal. I actully think that people are more likely to remember how to spell it once they have learned, they never remember mine grin

forgetmenots Thu 07-Mar-13 15:22:50

That's what's confusing me pig smile no worries!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now