Ok - so what do you think of Diana, Juliet or Susannah?

(64 Posts)
emmyloo2 Tue 05-Mar-13 05:49:21

I posted recently about my recent list for DD due in 11 weeks. I wanted Mabel, Maude, Iris and Florence on the list. All bar Florence have been outright rejected by DH. So our new current short list is:

Juliet
Diana
Susannah
Florence

I like the old-fashioned grandma names but DH doesn't. He honestly thought I was joking when I suggested Maude. hmm

So this is the new short list. I love Diana and Susannah but are they a little dated? They are certainly not cracking the top 50 list in my neck of the woods where it's Olivia, Ava, Lily or Chloe.

Florence is the only old-fashioned one he likes. I have tried Edith, Esme, Mabel, Maude, Olive, Iris, Audrey. Nup. All rejected.

Our DS is George and so I wanted another old-fashioned name. However, unless it's Florence, it doesn't appear to be possible. Oh, he does like Rose however I rejected that on the basis of popularity.

Your thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

emmyloo2 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:33:21

I like Rosanna......I will run it by DH tonight. I also proposed Francesca but we thought perhaps it sounded quite Italian and we are certainly not Italian.

Good idea Donkey - I always try and think about saying the name in the park and at swimming lessons etc. I love my son's name so I just want a name I love as much, that is elegant and strong and classic. A name that will carry her through adulthood.

I think George and Susie work well together.

Bonsoir Tue 05-Mar-13 09:39:23

Juliet and Susannah are both lovely.

cuillereasoupe Tue 05-Mar-13 09:46:03

Susannah all the way.

BankWuggery Tue 05-Mar-13 11:24:42

What about Flora instead of Florence?

pooka Tue 05-Mar-13 11:27:33

I prefer Susanna to Susannah.

It's my favourite name in your list.

Susie as a nickname is lovely.

saintmerryweather Tue 05-Mar-13 12:26:54

I love francesca i dont think you need to be italian to use it

peppertree Tue 05-Mar-13 16:59:01

please don't settle for anna!
Susannah is a beautiful and timeless name
How about susannah Juliet
Hope all goes well

WowOoo Tue 05-Mar-13 17:06:05

Susanna/h is lush.

Plus, you can shorten it to Anna or Sue or Suzy - more options.

Have a very lovely friend called Susanna - it has good vibes for me.

flossyflo Tue 05-Mar-13 17:17:04

Florence is my name. Always loved it... when I was growing up so many people commented on it being a nice name. It does get shortened to Flo though - what is your view on this?

And my brother is called George!

Which is weird.

However... it is getting more popular now (thanks to Florence and the Machine me thinks, but you could have worse name ambassadors, at least she is quite cool). And assume it's not so popular in Australia as much as here?

Anyway, like Diana... although not Di so much.

LadyLech Tue 05-Mar-13 18:50:59

Another vote for Susannah - it is a gorgeous name, but I am biased as it is my daughter's middle name.

Personally, I prefer the Juliette spelling, but dependent on surname, Susannah Juliet/te sounds like a great name.

I prefer Susanna with the nn Anna, which I also consider to be beautiful.

Good luck.

WormCanner Wed 06-Mar-13 00:47:25

You would think that Diana would have had a burst of popularity in the 1980s, but it never did for some reason. It doesn't seem to have ever been especially popular, and for that reason I certainly wouldn't see it as dated, more timeless.

Much the same applies to Susannah, although Susan and Suzanne have had their moments.

Juliet is OK, but I prefer Julia. Another underused classic.

Florence is very faddy at the moment and will date dreadfully. My great grandma was Florence, she was a Victorian and it was a popular name then after Florence Nightingale.

emmyloo2 Wed 06-Mar-13 03:27:04

Thanks everyone. I do love Susannah but DH is now moving away from it. He has decided he likes Flora as an alternative to Florence.

I think this is more in keeping with the style of name that I want.

Does Flora get the thumbs up? He wanted Laura and likes Florence so he has decided this is a mix between the two. To be honest, if he had his choice it would be Rose but I can't get over the fact that I think it is going to have a massive uptick in popularity and is the middle name of choice at the moment. It's a beautiful name, don't get me wrong.

Flossyflo - thanks for your perspective! I like Flo as a nickname although like Flossie as well. Do you think Flora would get shortened? It's really starting to grow on me as a nice compromise....

NoTimeForS Wed 06-Mar-13 04:02:57

My favourite is Susannah, then Juliet. I don't really like Diana (dislike Di) and can't warm to Florence or Flora I'm afraid. I don't like Flo as a nn.

NoTimeForS Wed 06-Mar-13 04:05:36

Oh sorry Flossyflo blush. That was rude of me. I didn't spot you until I had already posted.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 06-Mar-13 10:40:39

Flora is delightful.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 06-Mar-13 10:41:47

Unless your name is MacDonald perhaps.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 06-Mar-13 10:42:39

Heck, so what, it's lovely and sounds nice with George!

Ginebra Wed 06-Mar-13 10:59:59

Juliet and Susannah are loely. not keen on diana.

Susannah is the only one I really like, I'm not a fan of old lady names (having been saddled with one as a middle name and endured an awful lot of teasing as a result, I still admit to it as rarely as possible in my 40s.

I prefer Laura to Flora or Florence. Laura I have always loved because of the Little House books.

DawnOfTheDee Wed 06-Mar-13 11:11:01

Just to throw it out there my given name is Diane and i have never been nicknamed Di. It's always been Diane or Dee smile

TheComputerClub Wed 06-Mar-13 11:25:01

I personally love Esme from your original list. Maybe your DH would like Roise (Irish for Rose and pronounced Rocha) which is what my baby girl is called. Good luck smile

Beamur Wed 06-Mar-13 11:31:03

I think all three of your names are good and your DH is side stepping some lovely but rather over used names.
Out of the three I probably like Juliet the most, then Susannah (I like Susie as a nn) and then Diana.
I'm not keen on Florence, Flo is just a dreadful nn (apols to anyone who loves it/has one) but I love Eliazabeth - what about Eliza?

monica77798 Thu 07-Mar-13 09:40:48

Diana will be good, as she may be the same age as the future Queen Diana.

OkayHazel Sat 09-Mar-13 01:09:14

ANYTHING but Sue. Can't call a child Sue.

TheCatInTheHairnet Sat 09-Mar-13 01:15:30

Love Susannah. Prefer Julia to Juliet. But that's because DDs BFF is Julia and it struck me as a cute name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now