Eden or Edith (nn Edie either way)? Polling station here!

(57 Posts)
Umlauf Tue 26-Feb-13 16:02:19

Dd will be known as Edie most of the time but we don't want a nn on the bc. DH loves Edie but not so keen on Edith, whereas I love it, but I quite like Eden as an alternative. He likes it more!

Which would you vote for?!

eachtigertires Mon 04-Mar-13 16:31:10

Eden.

beckie90 Mon 04-Mar-13 10:25:20

I prefer Eden it was in my girls list names, mainly because I think its pretty but unusual. I'm not keen on edith to be honest but that's just my taste.

proudbi Mon 04-Mar-13 00:10:55

Edith

DewDr0p Thu 28-Feb-13 22:52:04

Definitely Edith.

Clary Thu 28-Feb-13 22:48:29

Eden is a boys' name.

Edith is a lovely name grin and pretty unusual still (round here anyway - I know a grand total of one under 16 and I know a lot of kids) whatever you may read on MN.

Umlauf Thu 28-Feb-13 22:28:39

Love the very responses to our choice of name here, I was waiting for a flaming (although did really want honest opinions!) and so very chuffed about the positive responses!

I can't remember who said Meredith - its lovely but I was in Perugia with Meredith Kercher on my yr abroad and so that ones a little too close for me...

jesse I don't know.. Maggie was Margaret though wasn't she? I like the option of a more formal name which she can use if she wanted to. Although we'd just call her Edie, in the same way Kate Middleton is only Catherine is royal circles not that I have princess aspirations for my daughter!

Thinking Edie Louise to name her after family...

Jessepinkman Thu 28-Feb-13 21:02:11

The Edie in our family is the driving force. We all aspire to be her. She is intellectual, intelligent, seriously funny and can hold her own. I honestly believe that if she met the queen the queen would be eating out of her hand.

She is an Edith. I only know her as Edie so I love the name in its own right. As for the pm test Maggie can be pm, why not Edie?

forgetmenots Thu 28-Feb-13 20:29:29

Edie on its own, but out of those two Edith.

Like the idea of Meredith!

coldcupoftea Thu 28-Feb-13 20:27:49

Edith, definitely. Or as a suggestion, how about Meredith with NN Edie?

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 28-Feb-13 20:06:08

DD is Edith, we call her Edie, interetsingly she always introduces her self as Edith.

DD2 is Edith, we call her Edie (and Eeds when we want to shorten it even more grin). I love it, and everyone else seems to approve too.

Blanketsandpillows Thu 28-Feb-13 19:53:19

Edith-love it

Purplecatti Thu 28-Feb-13 19:24:43

Edith.
Eden Woods is the name of a beauty pageant brat.

Ginebra Thu 28-Feb-13 19:18:52

Edith

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Thu 28-Feb-13 19:16:30

I think Edith sounds very arty and creative.

Agree, I never understand how they can look like a name.

Umlauf Wed 27-Feb-13 09:06:43

Hmmm Edan reminds me of Edam cheese! It's strange I like names in such different ball parks! And strange you know two spider I thought Eden was so unusual!

I think I'm going to have to stare at baby's newborn expression and judge whether she looks arty and creative (like her Mummy!) in which case ill go with Eden, or mathematical and practical (like her Daddy) and go with Edith! That is how I associate the two names I guess. I always think it strange when people say a newborn 'looks like a Tom' or whatever because, well... they all just look like newborns don't they?!

Ham69 Tue 26-Feb-13 21:32:44

Edith! Love Edie and would def put Edith on birth certificate. I know a boy Edan.

MorphandChas Tue 26-Feb-13 20:35:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Just Edie is lovely. Eden is a bit daft imho and Edith isn't v pretty.

Sashapineapple Tue 26-Feb-13 19:13:46

Like Eden, funky but not wierd. Dislike Edith, too old lady.

almapudden Tue 26-Feb-13 18:26:22

Edith. Eden is a boy's name ime. It's a bit, well, modern for a girls' name.

Eden definitely smile

Umlauf Tue 26-Feb-13 17:52:43

thats a great idea spider i think we'll do just that, it does seem scary and erratic leaving decision to the last minute though!

CheeseStrawWars Tue 26-Feb-13 17:52:14

If you look up Eden on a certain baby name website, it suggests 'names like this' and proposes "Jayden" and "Kayden"

If you look up Edith on the same website, it suggests 'name like this' are "Judith" and "Edita".

You're in quite different taste-ballparks... not that I am saying either is better, they are just very far apart.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Tue 26-Feb-13 17:45:45

Edith

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now