Names you can picture on any age?

(33 Posts)
Thisisaname Tue 26-Feb-13 03:21:00

JW what names you think can suit any age? For example I would be (pleasantly) suprised to meet a baby named Doris but not an adult named Jane IYSWIM?

OkayHazel Fri 01-Mar-13 17:09:13

Cannot wait until (Though I won't be here) all the grannys are Daisy-May and Lily-Rose.

happyhorse Wed 27-Feb-13 19:17:35

I have a Luke, which must be a classic name as it's in the bible, but I've never come across any older men with the name so find it difficult to picture an old Luke.

exoticfruits Wed 27-Feb-13 19:05:15

It is the classic names that don't date-that is why I like them.

PuddingWhine Wed 27-Feb-13 18:59:09

There are a lot of dated names in my son's class, so i wonder if there is a fashion for anti-fashion

manicinsomniac Brazil Wed 27-Feb-13 18:54:45

In my daughter's year at school there are several girls with the same names as the girls in my year at school had. So I tend to think of them as age-less.
We have:

Rachel
Sarah
Amy
Emma
Rebecca
Emily
Gemma
Lucy
Katie

I think there are far more age-less boys names simply because boys tend to be names from a much smaller pool of names to start with. So, apart from the more trendy or American style names and the very old fashioned, I think you could class most boys names as age-less.

Ones we have at school:

Adam
James
Edward
George
Thomas
Matthew
Christopher
Peter
Ben
William
Charles
Daniel
Samuel
Simon
Stephen
Robin

PuddingWhine Wed 27-Feb-13 18:47:25

I know 3 women with my daughter's name and two men with my son's name. in their school neither of them shares a name with another child in the school. But I don't think their names sound dated. They're not Debbie and Steve!

PuddingWhine Wed 27-Feb-13 18:45:00

Kate
Beth
Emma
Susie (maybe)
Rachel
Juliet
Anna

MsAkimbo Wed 27-Feb-13 18:15:34

I chose Abigail for that reason. For a boy, Charles.

poppydaisy Wed 27-Feb-13 07:07:21

I wonder how many parents are going to say that they cannot picture their kids' names at any age wink

Shesparkles Tue 26-Feb-13 23:45:41

In no particular order my children's names are Olivia, John, Rachel, Edward, Megan and Connor.
I'll let you decide how many children and how many names they have grin

I ^ think^ they're all pretty timeless

pigletpower Tue 26-Feb-13 23:40:57

My kids names are Hattie,Dexter and Felicity.Lots of short versions to keep them going throughout their lives I should think! Did anyone do the 'Grandparent Test' when they named their kids? Nanny Hattie,Nanny Fliss and Grandad Dex-sound fine!

I think they may be names that suit mugshots too :-D

pinkpaws Tue 26-Feb-13 17:58:02

Hi i think Victoria is a lovely name that suits both a baby and adult. Tom is another good choice.

ElfOnTheTopShelf: what if they don't want to go into teaching? grin I'm just teasing, they're both lovely names.

thunksheadontable Tue 26-Feb-13 17:53:51

I agree with Anna, but I guess it is based on who you know as I know an adult Jane and would assume it was an adult name and would view Sophie as a baby/little girl name, certainly not an old woman name. One of my sons is Rory and I have been told that is an "all age" name but I think that's because of the combination of Roary the racing car, Rory on Dr. Who, Rory McIlroy and Rory Bremner rather than because of any intrinsic features of the name itself!

I think (hope) my children's names match the baby/teacher/pensioner rule. They are Evelyn and Sebastian.

All twelve names represented now! grin

Don't think I'm outing myself too much as I haven't said which are first names and which are middle names.

For the sake of completeness:

Alexander/Alex
Benjamin
Theo

They each have two middle names and I've just noticed that most of those are on here too! smile

All four of our children have these names. Three of their names have been mentioned on this thread more than once.

Your OP made me smile. My mum has a saying:

"I like a name that looks as good on a birth certificate as it will on a pension book"

I shall have to tell her that she was way ahead of the curve for classic and timeless names.

Some of her lecturing must have sunk in as I have three children, two with names already mentioned and I would probably add the third - Joanna because I am biased smile

DizzyHoneyBee Tue 26-Feb-13 17:21:59

James, Chris(topher), Adam, William, Lucy, Annie, Olivia.

gerbilsarefun Tue 26-Feb-13 17:11:13

I would say the name Kirsty is fairly timeless (biased though, my dd's name), not hugely popular for her age group but I have heard a couple of little girls called the same.

RobinSparkles United States Tue 26-Feb-13 17:07:39

Charlotte
Elizabeth
Victoria
Catherine
Katy
Kate
Emma
Emily
Anna
Alice
Sarah
Harriet

Jack
William
George
Thomas
Joseph
James
Edward
Henry

I would have said Isabel(la) a few years ago but I think that it's going to date now that it's so popular.

I know babies, children, teenagers and adults of most of these names.

Theas18 Tue 26-Feb-13 16:58:12

Any name that isn't " in fashion"

All the Kayden/caiden /Kai type boys of now will be very much of their time as were the Traceys and Sharons of the 1970s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now