If someone handed you a baby girl...

(305 Posts)
CheerfulYank Thu 21-Feb-13 15:22:33

And said, "you have seven seconds to name this child," what would your off-the-top-of-my-head response be? (Besides, obviously, wondering who this loon passing a baby around is.)

Catchingmockingbirds Thu 07-Mar-13 07:52:09

Jessica.

amandine07 Thu 07-Mar-13 00:14:14

Sophia or Juliette.
Those are top of my baby girl name list!

nannyof3 Wed 06-Mar-13 20:56:45

London

crashdoll Wed 06-Mar-13 20:51:46

Molly Rachel

meddie Thu 28-Feb-13 16:08:46

Tilda

coecoe Thu 28-Feb-13 07:21:58

Cheryl

Alys

rainbow2000 Tue 26-Feb-13 21:42:37

Wallis or Willow love the names

Celeste, Darcy, Daphne, Anastasia. I love them all grin

birdofthenorth Sun 24-Feb-13 23:14:39

Or Audrey.

birdofthenorth Sun 24-Feb-13 23:13:52

Juliet

dashoflime Sun 24-Feb-13 15:35:27

Robyn or Martha

mathanxiety Sun 24-Feb-13 15:30:46

Niamh, Aoife, [Angharad] or Alice..

mathanxiety Sun 24-Feb-13 15:29:23

Niamh, Aoife or Alice

I love Margaret. There are too many in my family to use it.

gallicgirl Sat 23-Feb-13 23:41:02

I hate Thatcher but I still like the name Margaret, mostly because it's my gran's name and she rocks. Seriously, totally and utterly rocks.

My immediate choice would be Audrey i think.

I do like Seren and Agnes too

goldenlula Sat 23-Feb-13 23:26:05

Esme. This is not dd's name, but was one I wanted fo her but dh disliked it. That said, dd totally suts her name and did from the moment she was born.

maxbear Sat 23-Feb-13 20:07:29

Bryony

MargaretsMum Sat 23-Feb-13 19:08:15

God for it! To be honest, I'm not sure 'Thatcher' is the first thought of most Brits in real life these days either. It just is on the internet and they think it would be.

We love Maggie too, though weirdly we use her full name more than we expected.

recall Sat 23-Feb-13 18:48:55

Elspeth

I have a fabulous Aunt Margaret, who loves her name, and her mother (my Grandma) is known as Peggy, as she is Margaret too.

Go for it!

LongWayRound Sat 23-Feb-13 18:42:13

Eilonwy
Demelza

CheerfulYank Sat 23-Feb-13 18:23:56

Oh lovely MargaretsMum! smile Thank you for posting. I think it will be her name, we really can't agree on anything else and I love Maggie as a shortening.

And, as previously stated, neither Thatcher nor Princess Margaret mean much to most Americans, so I'm not too worried about associations there.

MargaretsMum Sat 23-Feb-13 17:50:38

I have name changed for this (fairly obviously) because, along with other personal information I've shared, I would utterly out myself if I used my normal name.

I have a Margaret and I absolutely love and adore it. She's nearly two and I'm so glad that the 'Thatcher' comments I've seen on here didn't put us off. I find that, in real life, lots of people have a much loved aunt/grandmother/other relative who they think of when they meet my Margaret. I love that her name is strong and has lots of shortenings to suit what she likes - she can use cute ones when she is small, funkier ones as a teenager if that's what she wants. I love that her name doesn't end in either an 'a' or an 'ee' sound, which almost every girls' name at the moment seem to (nothing wrong with that, my other daughter has a name which does). I love that little old ladies stop me to say how pleased they are to hear a name that they thought had gone forever come back.

I hear people on here quite regularly say that it is harsh, or clunky, or ugly. But personally I think that is because the trend at the moment is very much for frilly, cutesy names. We are very much in a phase where people go for Annabella, not Anne. And I think that skews perception. Personally I am of the Anne (not Annabella), Isobel (not Isabella), Mary (not Mariella) school of taste and I don't think that's harsh, just not as overtly cute as some taste.

Go for it CheerfulYank. It is a brilliant, versatile name and we love it.

Selks Sat 23-Feb-13 14:37:43

Shona

KhloeRye Sat 23-Feb-13 14:32:31

Valentine or Katie or Tara or Lola or Shalrose

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now