Is 'Posy' strong enough to use as a stand alone name...?

(42 Posts)
Stateofgrace Mon 18-Feb-13 19:30:35

Just that really.

Not keen on Josephine or Persephone and lacking thought as to what else Posy could be a diminutive for...help!

TIA x

YummyMummyFeelingFunny Mon 18-Feb-13 19:34:01

I think so, it is super cute I love it but doesn't go with our surname. I'm sure plenty will come on and say that you should give your dd options though!

EeyoresGloomyPlace Mon 18-Feb-13 19:38:55

Wasn't there a Posy in 'Ballet Girls'? That's what it reminds me of anyway, delicate and pretty. I suppose your dd may want 'options' when they are older, but equally if you named her something longer she might use the short version all her life anyway. If you & DH like it enough use it, its a lovely name.

DearPrudence Mon 18-Feb-13 19:39:26

I love it. Could be short for Rose, or Rosemary, or even Sophia.

I really hope your surname is Fossil.

Stateofgrace Mon 18-Feb-13 19:46:15

I'm afraid it's not Prudence... It is, however a colour surname....

Thanks for replies thus far all smile

DifferentNow Mon 18-Feb-13 19:54:20

I was just coming on to start a thread for Posy!

Dd due in July will be called Posy. DH and I LOVE it but everyone else we've told has responded quite negatively. I'm surprised by this - obviously not everyone is always going to love your name choice but I really hoped lots of people would think it was beautiful, feminine, simple and unusual without being too weird, like we do. Some people have even been rude enough to tell me that it's not a name/made up.

We will of course still be using it and DH says other people's reactions have made him like it more!

SorrelForbes Mon 18-Feb-13 20:07:12

My absolute favourite name and it definitely doesn't need to be short for anything. I wonde I she'll get her name in the history books...

austenozzy Mon 18-Feb-13 20:15:03

If you do go with Posy, and she later has a brother, he'll have to be called Pip:
www.worldofpipandposy.com/ (My DD's favourite)

Here's a thread on a different board re names that Posy could be short for. Sorry if you've seen it.
nameberry.com/nametalk/threads/63699-Names-with-the-nn-Posy

I like Rosanna from their suggestions.

Yes, yes. Good strong role model: Posy Simmonds.

Don't let her grow up to join the Po, though.

ladymia Mon 18-Feb-13 20:33:05

I know a Posy that unfortunately got called "Posy prosy" at school!

Stateofgrace Mon 18-Feb-13 20:42:40

I do love the name and pleased it has so many positive reactions...my mum worried me the other day - our cousin named her baby 'Mia' and she said it was ''quite unusual and showbizzy'' lol.....eeek!

I think she expects me to call her Sarah or Rachel... (disclaimer: nowt wrong with these names, was used as a marker for popularity / common in terms of useage - and not "dullness")

I tend to swing from ''will they take her seriously when she is in the boardroom/classroom/at her art gallery opening/with a supermarket name badge on'' (covering all angles there!) to ''I know people who have named their baby son Buddy / Moss and they didn't think twice about what others thought''...

This naming business is so darn hard...especially when you over think it as I am wont to do.... smile

Thanks for all help and comments x

BuntyPenfold Mon 18-Feb-13 22:31:00

Love love love Posy.

'The Painted Garden' has Posy Fossil grown up and successful in it.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Mon 18-Feb-13 22:36:35

It's a really lovely name but I always think Flump when I hear it. Obviously that's just be a (really old) generational thing though!

Ruprekt Mon 18-Feb-13 23:37:04

Tis cute but used as a nn for a front bottom where I come from!!shockshock

squoosh Tue 19-Feb-13 00:03:25

I know a baby Moss too. Wonder if it's the same one.

MidnightMasquerader Tue 19-Feb-13 00:08:50

It's slightly too twee for my tastes, but that's just first impressions. I'd get over it soon enough.

5madthings Tue 19-Feb-13 00:20:22

I know a posy who has a sister called Hebe, both lovely, sweet names smile

I love it. I wanted it for dd2 but dp wouldn't let me!

Sashapineapple Tue 19-Feb-13 13:33:55

A bit too cutesy to be taken seriously imo and better as a middle name.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 19-Feb-13 13:48:59

Fine for a child but personally I'd hate to be called something so babyish as an adult. May be just me. <serious kind of person>

happystory Tue 19-Feb-13 13:50:55

Agree with rhubarb.

wiltingfast Wed 20-Feb-13 08:34:09

Honestly, I think it's lovely for a little girl but that an adult might prefer something a bit more serious! What if she's prime minister ;) !

Ruprekt Wed 20-Feb-13 10:14:54

You need to do the test.....

'All rise for Judge Posy Maynard'

'This is Posy Wright, News at 10, in the Gulf.....'

'this is your Captain,Posy Foster speaking......'

Not sure these work for me and not a name I would have wanted for me.

However, Francesca Posy or Gabriella Posy could work.......

WeAreSix Wed 20-Feb-13 10:18:41

I have a Rosie who is Rosie Posy most days smile

squoosh Wed 20-Feb-13 10:58:11

I would cringe if my name was Posy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now