Which of these four boys' names?

(50 Posts)
jaffajiffy Thu 14-Feb-13 22:13:17

Please help DH and me. We are 33wks and no movement on these 4 names for our first child:

James (we'd call him Jem while small)
Lewis
Rowan
Hewan (DH's grandfather who died recently. We love the name and it's DH's middle name)

Considerations:
-My first initial is J and I wonder if we should have an unique initial each?
-our surname ends in 'ton' so I wonder about the names ending in 'an' sounding a bit twee with the surname?
-is meaning important? James means "supplanter" which isn't that nice. Rowan means "red". Hewan doesn't have a meaning, and Lewis is "fame and war". None too inspiring!

Maybe I'll leave it til I've pushed him out and decide then!

Thanks in advance.

jaffajiffy Mon 18-Feb-13 15:14:05

As a result of this thread, we have discarded Rowan (as it's too like Hewan) and confirmed Hewan as either first or middle name. Leaning towards Hewan at the moment.
I'll pop back and let you know once he's here (33weeks now)

Thanks so much, everyone!

MerryMarigold Mon 18-Feb-13 10:16:58

Good point. Hew is a lovely nn! I don't think there have been many negatives on Hewan, which is rare on a baby name thread. Go for it!

LittlePushka Sun 17-Feb-13 22:26:37

Hewan,...lovely. Still lovely when his mates hall hime Hew. unusual and deeply respectful of your family.

Dont think any of your other considerations are to be concerned about. Good luck smile

MerryMarigold Sat 16-Feb-13 23:20:50

Interesting variety there. I'd say they are quite different. James, to me, is a bit boring, and I think you may regret it. (I've noticed people's dc1's tend to have 'safer' names and then with subsequent children, people relax into names that are more interesting). I really like Hewan, especially as it has a sentimental reason too...

Allalonenow Sat 16-Feb-13 23:20:45

I like Lewis best, a super name with a long history, Chaucer's son was called Lewis.
I do not like Rowan, especially for a boy, though just about acceptable for a girl, and have never seen Hewan with that spelling. James is a good standard no nonsense name.

slambang Sat 16-Feb-13 23:15:05

Jem is a lovely and traditional old name. Also Jem's the brother in To Kill a Mocking Bird - it has my vpte.

SanityClause Sat 16-Feb-13 23:07:35

I like Hewan. I've never heard of it as a name, before, but it sounds like a nice solid name, IYKWIM.

Sashapineapple Sat 16-Feb-13 23:06:01

James or Lewis, not mad keen on either but don't like the other two at all.

Rowan then James.

neolara Fri 15-Feb-13 21:49:20

I have a Jem, so I'm going for James (nn Jem).

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 15-Feb-13 21:43:46

James Hewan. Hewan is lovely , never heard it before .
Hate Rowan and Lewis.

MajesticWhine Fri 15-Feb-13 21:09:33

I like them, probably in this order
Lewis, Hewan, James
all very nice.

but don't like Rowan at all. I too think it's a girl's name.

stripeypjs32 Fri 15-Feb-13 21:04:15

James

MoonHare Fri 15-Feb-13 18:42:05

Not at all keen on Lewis. James is solid and safe. Rowan is nice in an arty vaguely hippyish way but Hewan is fab, never heard of it before but love it and you have great reasons for using it - it has to be his middle name at least, which would rule out Rowan as additonal name imo, leaving;

James Hewan or Hewan James.

smellysocksandchickenpox Fri 15-Feb-13 17:57:59

LOVE louis, hate lewis, but can't put my finger on why

ceebie Fri 15-Feb-13 13:02:37

james too dull - sorry.

rowan too associated with Mr Atkinson - although that will pass.

lewis and hewan best!

jaffajiffy Fri 15-Feb-13 09:12:02

Hi jemima! We've come a long way since we met on other, sadder boards smile

<hijacks own thread>

Glad to see Lewis gets a vote.

HouseOfBears Fri 15-Feb-13 08:45:08

I'm casting first vote for Lewis! In order, I'd pick:

Lewis
James
Rowan
Hewan

Hewan I would put as the middle name though due to family connection.

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 15-Feb-13 08:41:24

Hi jaffa, my vote is for Rowan (also on our short list and totally gorgeous) or Hewan for the family connection.
Good luck

jaffajiffy Fri 15-Feb-13 08:34:18

Thanks for all your helpful comments. Surprised Lewis doesn't get many votes! We will think about Hewan being a life of spelling and correcting.

Still got a few weeks to think. Thanks again.

VictorAndBarry Fri 15-Feb-13 07:13:30

james Hewan - and Jem is a nice variation.

meditrina Fri 15-Feb-13 07:11:42

Jem's been in use as a nn for James for centuries (check your Dickens and earlier). Also Madge's husband in the Chalet School books!

And I think it's a lovely nn. If you go for it, I hope it sticks life-long.

Hewen or James Hewen

LulaBear Fri 15-Feb-13 01:28:49

James is gorgeous and will never become old or dated. Plus dozens of nicknames if you grown tired of James- Jimmy, Jamie, Jay, Jam.

I like Jem as a shortening of James, have only heard it for Jeremys before. Not keen on Lewis I'm afraid.

I'd prob go for Hewan James tho, I love family names, and it's always good to have a nice solid middle name in case their teenage self decides they want to be 'boring'!

Hewan is very open to mishearing/misspelling tho, so if your family are meek and mild it might be best to go for James or Rowan - unusual names can work better for strong personalities, as they are more comfortable correcting people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now