A brother for James. Preferably no major tank engines.

(20 Posts)
Lyftiduft Thu 14-Feb-13 21:51:51

I like Edward and Richard and would have used one of them but our surname starts with D so it doesn't work. I think we have similar tastes.

James is lovely and was on my list for DS, he is Alex. I also like Leo, Rory and Ian which are on my list for DS2 if we have one. Joseph?

We know a James and Alastair sibling set, Alastair is lovely but a close relative so we went for Alex instead.

My DH would say trumps engines btw, not trains wink

dizzy77 Thu 14-Feb-13 05:15:15

Thanks all: lots of family names here eg Robert, Christopher, Richard. We will soon compare shortlists, there's lots if inspiration. I especially like Samuel and Leo and will keep pushing Edward as I like the king connection (which in my book trumps trains).

McGilly Thu 14-Feb-13 05:07:50

Alastair or its variations
Alexander

The train connotations might not strike adults as obvious but kids pick it up straight away!

sashh Thu 14-Feb-13 05:00:58

Robert?

MortifiedAdams Wed 13-Feb-13 23:57:56

I know a family of James, Jacob and John grin

My suggestions would be
Christopher
Edward
Harry
Samuel

Startail Wed 13-Feb-13 23:57:33

Despite being a huge Tank engine fan as a child, neither Thomas or James instantly make me think trains as they are family names both on my side and DHs.

Had we had a son he would have been James, quite possibly James Thomas (Tom was my grandfathers name)

cheesesarnie Wed 13-Feb-13 23:56:16

i have a james and thomas. the whole train thang never really came up.

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 23:56:10

James and Henry and I'd think the novelist, definitely wouldn't think Thomas the Tank Engine.

PurpleStorm Wed 13-Feb-13 23:43:17

I'm sure that most people won't make the tank engine connection if you do go for Thomas, Edward, Gordon, Toby, Henry or Percy.

People could just as easily think that you're naming your sons after kings if you have James and Edward.

Adam
Leo
Benjamin

HouseOfBears Wed 13-Feb-13 22:47:21

Or if not then I like Leo.

HouseOfBears Wed 13-Feb-13 22:46:44

I'd say stick with Edward, it's lovely - if I heard James and Edward together unwound NEVER think of tank engines (though my dc is only 6 months so haven't really reached that yet...)

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Feb-13 22:31:13

Ewen
Ambrose
Amos
Peter
Paul
Samuel
Christopher
Daniel
Kieran
Stephen
Owen
John
Matthew
Patrick
Dominic

Zappo Wed 13-Feb-13 22:29:03

Don't suppose you want another J as Jacob (Jake) goes well.

I personally love Edward.

If you're thinking 70s, I'm wondering if Richard is due a revival thanks to Richard iii.

Matthew, Luke, Tobias ( if you want something biblical)

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:28:03

John

amck5700 Wed 13-Feb-13 22:27:13

Jonathan
Nicolas
Lewis
Edgar
Miles
Austin
Christopher

Samuel
Hugo

BusyBee86 Wed 13-Feb-13 22:26:41

Oliver
Thomas
Harry

jkklpu Wed 13-Feb-13 22:24:37

Matthew
David
Michael

dizzy77 Wed 13-Feb-13 22:23:29

Ideas? DH has vetoed "obvious" other tank engines which rules out Edward, which I like. I also quite like William and George but he worries they're a bit wet. So far, all DH's suggestions have been of his 1970s classmates: Daniel, Simon, David. I don't quite think they're ready for a revival but they do indicate that Theodore (which I also like for the nns) is a bit "out there" for him. Can anyone help inspire us? Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now