Alula?

(35 Posts)
Teapig Tue 12-Feb-13 21:38:16

After much debate DH and I have found a girl's name we both like, Alula. According to our baby name book its Latin for 'winged one' or Arabic for 'the first'.

We like it a lot BUT I just Googled it and found that it's really similar to the name of Isla Fisher's baby, Elula apparently. I'd hate for people to think we were copying celebs.

So what do you think of Alula? Is it too out there? Too Isla Fisher? All thoughts welcome.

Teapig Thu 14-Feb-13 20:31:08

nilby, yeah I thought of the Amityville connection too but I figure every name will have some kind of connection unless so I'm not too worried.

sasha I really like Lula as a nickname but I think it might be a bit too cutesy for when she gets older. I'm a lover of Amity too, apparently it means friendship and harmony which is sweet.

Thanks for the encouragement lucy. I think I just need to give our LO the unusual name we love and not worry about it.

Everyone's comments have helped me realise the name that feels right (Fionnuala Amity Rose), bring on the mispellings and horror film connections grin Thanks guys!

nilbyname Thu 14-Feb-13 20:00:18

amityville super scary film!

Aphra...Aphie for short?

Atalune....Luna for short?

Sashapineapple Thu 14-Feb-13 19:51:42

Why don't you just go with Lula or Lulu if you love the short L oo names. Also LOVE Amity as a first name.

lucywiltshire Thu 14-Feb-13 19:40:25

Ditto everyone else who loves it. Good for you for choosing something other than the usual names. It's a lovely name.

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 14-Feb-13 15:52:27

She will be call allelujah most of her life... Sounds ok but either Hawaiian or made up.... Unsure which.

On here tho I have heard A LOT worse so go for it? Our opinion not worth much if u and family like it! smile

Frikadellen Thu 14-Feb-13 15:49:41

both Alula and Fionnuala but I meant in response to Fionnuala

Frikadellen Thu 14-Feb-13 15:48:45

its pretty i like it

AlohaMama Thu 14-Feb-13 15:31:33

Lovely names. I say go for it. And then you can relax!

Teapig Thu 14-Feb-13 15:27:33

After much debate DH and have decided not call our LO anything that sounds too like Alleluia, a-loo-ya or Hola. We have probably saved LO from a life time of teasing, or have we?

We have a new combo that we both like and we finally might have cracked it:
Fionnuala Amity Rose

What do you think? I know Fionnula (Fin-oo-lah) isn't everyone's cup of tea and will saddle LO with spelling it out for the rest of her life but she can always use nns, Fin, Nula, Fi or my favourite Lula. Also if she really hates it she could go by Amity or Ami or as a last resort the more classic Rose.

Teapig Thu 14-Feb-13 07:58:40

Good to have everyone's thoughts so we can look at it from all angles. I did a straight Google search and found a lot of random things called Alula, the bird wing, a holiday cottage in Norfolk etc but when I googled it with 'baby names' it does come up. I agree it has it's down sides though. Thanks for your thoughts ladies.

nilbyname Thu 14-Feb-13 07:26:15

Beebop ! Brilliant

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 14-Feb-13 07:05:43

You could give her the first name Beebop - "Beebop Alula, she's my baby..."

grin

<unhelpful>

Follyfoot Thu 14-Feb-13 06:53:20

When I searched it, the first thing that came up was 'bastard wing'. The second was that it is one of the 'my little pony' range. The third was that its a company which gives you money for your gift cards. For those reasons, I'd not chose it

ErikNorseman Thu 14-Feb-13 06:47:40

I've never met an Alula by the way and I've spent a lot of time in an Arab country and met a lot of people. It doesn't sound Arabic.

nooka Thu 14-Feb-13 03:35:06

Looks like a bit of Alleluia to me. I'd wonder a bit about the veracity of the baby name book. According to Wiki alula is a technical term for a bit of some birds' wing, also known as a 'bastard wing'. I'm not sure it is really a name.

I have an interesting/unusual name and am very happy with it, but it is recognizably a name. I don't think I'd like to be called Alula. Plus the main sound is 'loo' which might be very tease worthy in some circles.

HouseOfBears Wed 13-Feb-13 22:57:48

She could shorten it to Ally! Though I'm afraid I agree with the others who said they would think you said Talulah. It does sound a bit made up but I think it's one that might grow on me slowly!

Rhubarbgarden Wed 13-Feb-13 22:32:03

Does the hula.

No.

Teapig Wed 13-Feb-13 21:55:18

Ha, ha, good advice very dull. I will also practice spelling it and surname 20 out times to see what we'd be saddling LO with.

nilby, our short list is all unusual so I probably be going to hell too! There are some lovely more popular names but they just don't float my boat.

Still torn between Alula and Fionnuala, I guess with the latter if she didn't like her name she'd have 3 or 4 different shortenings to choose from whereas with Alula the only option is Lula. This naming business is hard.

VeryDullNameChange Wed 13-Feb-13 21:15:07

I'm normally hyper-judgy about names, but I rather like this one. Sounds a teeny bit made up, but it's very "name-shaped" IYSWIM.

Practice saying "It's Arabic actually, no, no family connection, we just really liked the sound of the name" twenty times, and if that hasn't put you off then go for it.

ErikNorseman Wed 13-Feb-13 21:11:25

Oh no, it's bad. Tallulah is naff but alula is worse. Fionnuala is really nice.

ellesabe Wed 13-Feb-13 19:44:51

I also would possibly mishear it as Tallulah.

nilbyname Wed 13-Feb-13 19:23:54

tea

Sorry, no the name is A-loo-la, but I kept saying it in my head and it sounds like a-loo-ya?. Just the way it ends up in my head.

In saying that both my children have "unusual" names that I am often repeating/spelling. They also have a complicated surname. I am probably going straight to hell.

AlohaMama Wed 13-Feb-13 17:58:22

I would pronounce A-loo-la but would immediately think Talulah. Again, hardly know who IF is let alone her kids.

Teapig Wed 13-Feb-13 15:49:03

Crikey, I might have been pronouncing it wrong. nilby, I was thinking it was A-loo-la.

Damn, I thought this was a simple one to pronounce and I may have been saying it wrong myself!

nilbyname Wed 13-Feb-13 08:21:54

I like it, but saying it a couple of times I cannot get this out of my head...

A-loo-ya? Like, you need the loo yeah?

I think it has the potential to sound a bit silly, like Tinkiewinkie, or Lala.

However, names are very dear, so if you like it, than have it.

Did not know the IF connection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now