Classic, strong but elegant girls names

(62 Posts)
emmyloo2 Tue 12-Feb-13 07:41:22

Ok, give me your best strong, classic, elegant, timeless girl's names. Preferably nothing to frilly, too cutesy or too long. Some examples of what I like are Alice, Margaret, Ruth, Elizabeth, Alison (family name) and Audrey. My DH likes Rose and won't open his mind to other options. I have a DS George and I want a short, old fashioned strong name like this, but I am having a girl.

I am really starting to get quite annoyed with DH because he won't agree that my suggestions are fabulous! shock.

All suggestions gratefull received because I feel like I am going around in circles and I thought naming a girl would be easy!

Helen?

MortifiedAdams Fri 15-Feb-13 11:06:45

«beams»

She totally suits it. Margaret in general is great as she could get Meg, Maggie, Peggy, Greta.

DH disliked Meg before we were ttc but by six months pg he was using it as his benchmark "Nah, not as nice as Meg" grin

emmyloo2 Fri 15-Feb-13 11:01:46

Mortified - Meg is brilliant. This is the nickname I would use if we went with Margaret. I just love it. I like Tess as well but DH doesn't. Boo!

He has proposed Thea which I am starting to like. Not as much as Meg though....

MortifiedAdams Fri 15-Feb-13 09:26:41

Ooh OP, I adote Little Women and have a Meg (just Meg). Her MN is Alice too so needless to say I think you have great taste.

Saying that, I also love Rose and its not at all popular as a first bame roubd here (though is used a LOT as a MN).

Seems your DH likes short names. What about Tess?

Gingerbreadlatte Fri 15-Feb-13 09:22:17

Margaret is my favourite from your list now. Lots of shortening options.

Edith is very harsh and there are lots of Edies around. Not keen on other suggestions

Infestedwithcats Thu 14-Feb-13 07:45:01

Christabel

emmyloo2 Thu 14-Feb-13 04:38:54

Ginger - Esther is a great suggestion and one DH actually likes. I think it might be a mouthful with our surname though...

I used to love Alexandra but it has had a surge in popularity where I am from and I know a few little Alexandras which has put me off.....

My current shortlist is now:

1. Margaret (still my deep down favourite)
2. Eliza
3. Rose (I am keeping this in there)
4. Alison
5. Hmmm..not sure. Maybe Edith?

Gingerbreadlatte Thu 14-Feb-13 04:27:40

Esther.

If you go with Alexandra think of a better shortening than the default Alex. (Years of dislike here!!) - something more feminine like Alexa or Lexi.

CheerfulYank Thu 14-Feb-13 03:36:30

I don't know any little ones. smile

emmyloo2 Thu 14-Feb-13 03:25:08

Yes Eliza is starting to grow on me. Is it super popular???

wiltingfast Wed 13-Feb-13 19:02:18

Lots of great suggestions, think a george needs a strongly named sibling, really like eliza actually,

eliza and george!

They work really well together smile

MolotovCocktail Wed 13-Feb-13 09:38:19

Lots of lovely name suggestions here. My personal favourites of this type are:

Grace
Laura
Eleanor
Charlotte
Jennifer
Amy
Juliette
Louisa
Sophia
Francesca

MiaowTheCat Wed 13-Feb-13 09:26:32

Anna was what DD1 was going to be called, until a very random 8am conversation in bed one morning where we discussed something else - and she decided to arrive that day so obviously preferred that suggested name.

BellsaRinging Wed 13-Feb-13 06:12:53

Mary.
Eve/Eva.

Imaginethat Wed 13-Feb-13 06:00:10

Anna
Sarah
Elizabeth

CheerfulYank Wed 13-Feb-13 05:39:59

I think so! We would probably go with Maggie for a nickname though as I am Megan, so Meg would be too similar. I'm worried Megan and Maggie are too close already. sad But I love Margaret so much!

emmyloo2 Wed 13-Feb-13 05:17:56

Cheerful Yank - are you calling your daughter this? I am so jealous. It's my favourite but I am yet to convince DH. I am working on it.

Alexandra is a great suggestion. DH likes this.

VictorAndBarry Wed 13-Feb-13 05:04:50

Emily?

claraschu Wed 13-Feb-13 04:21:42

What about Anya?

CheerfulYank Wed 13-Feb-13 04:01:34

I love Margaret, it's what I'm calling my bump. smile

I like Frances too.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 13-Feb-13 03:54:37

Ava
Annabelle (and call her Anna, the name you both like as a nickname)
Amelia
Sophia
Alexandra
Lauren

emmyloo2 Wed 13-Feb-13 03:42:49

Esme - Eliza is one I have thought about before. I love this.

worm77daisy Wed 13-Feb-13 03:38:31

Jocelyn
Felicity
Emma
Charlotte
Kate
Megan
Gemma
Jennifer

EsmeWatson Wed 13-Feb-13 02:07:52

Eliza Catherine = perfect!

FactuallyI Wed 13-Feb-13 01:22:55

Matilda?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now