Name delema, Dh and I can not agree.

(39 Posts)
chocolateicecream Sat 09-Feb-13 21:55:08

I have been struggling to find the right name for baby number three. We have two dd's and have agreed on a boys name but cannot agree on our girls name choices.

So far I like Mahala, Nina, Shona, Abrielle, and Heidi, but am very keen on choosing the name Jemima, a name that I have always loved.

My husband wants to call the baby Heidi if it is a girl. I do really like the name but it sounds like hidey hole, a phrase that I sometimes use when playing with the children, or referring to a pets hiding place. We both like Nina but it makes me think of ne na. I think that I may regret it if the baby has one of these names.

I would appreciate any input or advice with our name choices or help with how to get round this one get my own way. I have told my Dh that we need to wait and see what the baby looks like in order to deter him from thinking of this little one as a Heidi.

OhThePlacesYoullGo Tue 12-Feb-13 07:28:23

How about Janina? Think it's a lovely name and it kind of mixes Jemima and Nina (it's a 'real' name though).

catladycourtney1 Tue 12-Feb-13 00:11:54

I love Nina, it was on my shortlist too but DP said no sad
I don't like Heidi.

iheartmycat Tue 12-Feb-13 00:09:25

I LOVE Shona - uncommon but not weird, doesn't rhyme with anything silly, easy to spell, easy to say, and doesn't sound like an ambulance! (Much as I think Nina is beautiful....I can't get past the nee na sound!)

MoppingMummy Mon 11-Feb-13 22:18:07

I love Nina!

chocolateicecream Mon 11-Feb-13 22:14:43

Oh thank you mathanxiety and ShesAStar smile.

ShesAStar Mon 11-Feb-13 19:04:00

I love the name Heidi and almost called DD it, but I think Jemima goes better with Ruth and Alice. Ruth, Alice and Jemima - that sounds lovely to me.

mathanxiety Sun 10-Feb-13 20:35:00

I love Ruth and Alice. I think Jemima would 'go' very nicely with those names.

chocolateicecream Sun 10-Feb-13 20:18:30

Hi Merry, yes I do think of Jemima Khan, she is pretty fab. Allalonenow, I do agree that Heidi does sit well with my girls names.

Naming babies is hard work!

Allalonenow Sun 10-Feb-13 14:16:35

For me Heidi is streets ahead of your other names, it is pretty for a little girl and lovely for a woman, also sits well with the names of your other girls.

MerryMarigold Sun 10-Feb-13 14:05:01

I love Ruth. Would go for Jemima with them. Think Khan not puddleduck!

rachel234 Sun 10-Feb-13 13:43:40

Jemima is lovely. Really, really dislike Heidi, sorry.

chocolateicecream Sun 10-Feb-13 12:35:48

Hi and thanks for the replies. You have all given me some food for thought. Sorry if the title sounded a bit misleading. I had a small person jumping around me when I typed it (does nothing for the brain power). I do know a real life Mahala who is 15. Our children are of Scottish and Germanic ancestry. We have a German sur name. My girls are Ruth Lornamarie and Alice Eloise.

Sashapineapple Sun 10-Feb-13 12:10:12

Prefer Gabrielle. I also thought you were suggesting Delema as a name. Nina is an international name and although not my taste it sounds strong.
Like a previous poster said I do think of Jemima Puddleduck and it does sound a bit wet. I knew a girl at school who was called Daisy Jemima and she got teased a lot sad

sw11mumofone Sun 10-Feb-13 11:21:10

Jemima is the best on your list imo. Gabrielle is nicer than Abrielle I think.
Heidi I really dont like and Kerry Katona has a Heidi so that would put me right off even if I loved the name!!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sun 10-Feb-13 10:35:18

Nina and Heidi are both nice. Yes, there might be a phase where class mates replace with nee-naa or hidey-hole but most names can be made into something else if you try hard enough e.g.. Jemima = Jemima Puddkeduck to me!

lottiegarbanzo Sun 10-Feb-13 10:23:14

Sorry, Eastern European.

lottiegarbanzo Sun 10-Feb-13 10:22:40

Ok, well I looked it up myself and wikipedia says 'Mahala is a name used in many languages and countries referring to Neighbourhood or Locality' (Turkish, Arabic, Easter Euorpean). 'In Bengali Mahalla pr Moholla also means an urban neighbourhood'.

JumpingJackSprat Sun 10-Feb-13 09:39:05

i like nina and heidi the best. if you like jemima and always have done then id try and convince your husband or you migt regret not using it.

MerryMarigold Sun 10-Feb-13 09:13:26

I like Nina and Jemimah. I love the name Jemimah and wish I'd been allowed to call my dd that. I also like Heidi. I like your list! (except Mahala unless you have some obviously exotic roots).

Gwennan Sun 10-Feb-13 09:10:46

I agree that your list is quite eclectic! It makes it hard to suggest names you might want to consider.

But, as you like Mahala, what about Malala (as in, Malala Yousafzai)?

lottiegarbanzo Sun 10-Feb-13 05:18:56

I think Obama's dd is Malia.

UterusUterusGhali Sun 10-Feb-13 02:49:49

Yes, Greensleeves!

Id be proud to be named after her!

Isn't Obama's gal called Mahala?

Greensleeves Sun 10-Feb-13 02:40:38

how about Malalah after the brave, beautiful Pakistani girl who is campaigning for girls' education?

Mahalia is also a name, there's a singer called Mahalia Jackson

UterusUterusGhali Sun 10-Feb-13 02:34:53

Nina is great. Recognised all over the world!

Heidi is great too. You both like it!

mathanxiety Sun 10-Feb-13 02:32:03

I know a Mahala, pronounced Moholla. Unusual name.

I like Jemima a lot, not so keen on Heidi or any of the others. I like Gabrielle but not Abrielle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now