Name delema, Dh and I can not agree.

(39 Posts)
chocolateicecream Sat 09-Feb-13 21:55:08

I have been struggling to find the right name for baby number three. We have two dd's and have agreed on a boys name but cannot agree on our girls name choices.

So far I like Mahala, Nina, Shona, Abrielle, and Heidi, but am very keen on choosing the name Jemima, a name that I have always loved.

My husband wants to call the baby Heidi if it is a girl. I do really like the name but it sounds like hidey hole, a phrase that I sometimes use when playing with the children, or referring to a pets hiding place. We both like Nina but it makes me think of ne na. I think that I may regret it if the baby has one of these names.

I would appreciate any input or advice with our name choices or help with how to get round this one get my own way. I have told my Dh that we need to wait and see what the baby looks like in order to deter him from thinking of this little one as a Heidi.

sw11mumofone Sun 10-Feb-13 11:21:10

Jemima is the best on your list imo. Gabrielle is nicer than Abrielle I think.
Heidi I really dont like and Kerry Katona has a Heidi so that would put me right off even if I loved the name!!

Sashapineapple Sun 10-Feb-13 12:10:12

Prefer Gabrielle. I also thought you were suggesting Delema as a name. Nina is an international name and although not my taste it sounds strong.
Like a previous poster said I do think of Jemima Puddleduck and it does sound a bit wet. I knew a girl at school who was called Daisy Jemima and she got teased a lot sad

chocolateicecream Sun 10-Feb-13 12:35:48

Hi and thanks for the replies. You have all given me some food for thought. Sorry if the title sounded a bit misleading. I had a small person jumping around me when I typed it (does nothing for the brain power). I do know a real life Mahala who is 15. Our children are of Scottish and Germanic ancestry. We have a German sur name. My girls are Ruth Lornamarie and Alice Eloise.

rachel234 Sun 10-Feb-13 13:43:40

Jemima is lovely. Really, really dislike Heidi, sorry.

MerryMarigold Sun 10-Feb-13 14:05:01

I love Ruth. Would go for Jemima with them. Think Khan not puddleduck!

Allalonenow Sun 10-Feb-13 14:16:35

For me Heidi is streets ahead of your other names, it is pretty for a little girl and lovely for a woman, also sits well with the names of your other girls.

chocolateicecream Sun 10-Feb-13 20:18:30

Hi Merry, yes I do think of Jemima Khan, she is pretty fab. Allalonenow, I do agree that Heidi does sit well with my girls names.

Naming babies is hard work!

mathanxiety Sun 10-Feb-13 20:35:00

I love Ruth and Alice. I think Jemima would 'go' very nicely with those names.

ShesAStar Mon 11-Feb-13 19:04:00

I love the name Heidi and almost called DD it, but I think Jemima goes better with Ruth and Alice. Ruth, Alice and Jemima - that sounds lovely to me.

chocolateicecream Mon 11-Feb-13 22:14:43

Oh thank you mathanxiety and ShesAStar smile.

MoppingMummy Mon 11-Feb-13 22:18:07

I love Nina!

iheartmycat Tue 12-Feb-13 00:09:25

I LOVE Shona - uncommon but not weird, doesn't rhyme with anything silly, easy to spell, easy to say, and doesn't sound like an ambulance! (Much as I think Nina is beautiful....I can't get past the nee na sound!)

catladycourtney1 Tue 12-Feb-13 00:11:54

I love Nina, it was on my shortlist too but DP said no sad
I don't like Heidi.

OhThePlacesYoullGo Tue 12-Feb-13 07:28:23

How about Janina? Think it's a lovely name and it kind of mixes Jemima and Nina (it's a 'real' name though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now