Tor to go with Eirik?

(27 Posts)

I really love the name Tor and DP and I both like it if we were to have another Son.

Wondering though if we would have to keep explaining the name. confused

I pronounce it (as it should be) AY-rihk but I am the only once who does. The rest of my family and friends say Eh-rik. sad

Definitley starting to love the name Tor. smile

CaptainNancy Wed 06-Feb-13 21:27:16

I am howling with laughter at 'Faroese' being an autocorrect on a skandi name thread!

Tor is nice, and I think most people would pronounce it okay. How do you pronounce Eirik properly please?

Tor is fantastic, it was on our name list (but we're having a girl).

forgetmenots Tue 05-Feb-13 22:18:17

The names are amazing! smile

BinarySolo Tue 05-Feb-13 20:07:23

Faroese? Far more. Bloody phone!

BinarySolo Tue 05-Feb-13 20:06:42

I meant Tor's a great name. That last sentence sounded Faroese self congratulatory than I intended'

BinarySolo Tue 05-Feb-13 20:05:08

I think if you worry about people not being able to pronounce a name you'd end up with something very run of the mill. My ds is Huey, so I found it quite surprising that the doctor had to ask me how it was pronounced. I'd only worried about it being misspelled up until that point!

It's a great name and goes brilliantly well with the name of your other ds. Go for it.

Forget I don't actually... I have an Uncle who moved to Sweden and I fell in love with the names, there are other reasons for not wanting a very British name as well but mostly because the Scandinavian names are pretty amazing.

I'm Scottish/German. blush

Snus I'm feeling a bit easier about it now, can't be worse to pronounce than Eirik... hmm

Binary I think that's what worries me too, I have a name that is pretty easy to read, it's not usual but it's obvious. Everyone gets it wrong.

BinarySolo Tue 05-Feb-13 14:51:23

Tor is English as well. Think Glastonbury Tor. I can't see people struggling with the pronounciation, but having said that I had a doctor ask me how my very obvious to pronounce son's name should be said.

Snusmumriken Tue 05-Feb-13 13:49:42

I think Tor would be easy for English speakers to pronounce. Although, I understand your concern. I have a scandi name that no one outside of scandinavia can get the hang of.

Snusmumriken Tue 05-Feb-13 13:46:33

Love it.

forgetmenots Tue 05-Feb-13 13:44:34

(Guessing you have Norwegian connections?) Scandinavian names are generally awesome.

forgetmenots Tue 05-Feb-13 13:41:32

Love torgeir, torleif and Torfinn (used in Shetland as Thorfinn).
Great names all, I'd put one of the longer ones on his bc and call him Tor day to day smile

BinarySolo Tue 05-Feb-13 09:34:40

I love it! It's on my list.

Shoob smile I'm liking it more and more, I think it will definitely be used if this one is a boy.

grin @ Torquay! I will have to make sure DP doesn't see that, I don't want him to change his mind. smile

I really do love the name, I just worry a bit about him maybe having to correct people on how they pronounce it a lot.

I already have to correct a lot of people with Eirik, we had one nurse call him "ear ache". confused And we have also had the "you've made that spelling up and it is stupid" tripe. sad

I just want to make sure we would be making the right decision.

shoobidoo Mon 04-Feb-13 22:22:16

I know a Tor - great name and goes well with Eirik.

ceramicunicorn Mon 04-Feb-13 22:06:41

I think Tor just on it's on is great as well. It makes me think of Dartmoor and lovely rugged Scandinavian stuff. DH vetoed it for our DS though as it made him think of Torquay.

Like door with a T. smile

What is the pronunciation if not tor as is spelt?

Not too fond of that tbh.

amck5700 Mon 04-Feb-13 21:02:58

Torin?

Wouldn't really be confusing it with Thor as it is the same person. smile

Torgeir is a brilliant name but I think he would spend his whole life trying to explain the pronunciation. sad

ceramicunicorn Mon 04-Feb-13 20:32:58

Love Torgeir

ProphetOfDoom Mon 04-Feb-13 20:30:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now