What are the most boring, unsexy names in your opinion?

(85 Posts)
HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 08:53:51

I would go with Martin.

AngiBolen Tue 29-Jan-13 21:07:27

Yes, but you don't give your own baby a "sexy" name....do you? Fro example, Carlos is a sexy name (IMO) but it's not a name I would give to my DC.

Nigel, Robert (which is very popular around here), Janet and Maureen are dull names.

Although Maureens tend to be lovely, I find.

chipmonkey Tue 29-Jan-13 21:02:10

Or Rose?

chipmonkey Tue 29-Jan-13 21:01:42

Iris, seeker?

mathanxiety Tue 29-Jan-13 20:10:00

Was it Olivia, Seeker?

Reaa Tue 29-Jan-13 16:37:52

Elsie is making a come back already

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 29-Jan-13 16:29:27

Griselda grin

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Tue 29-Jan-13 16:27:52

Bob?

seeker Tue 29-Jan-13 16:17:36

My mother was dissuaded by all her friends from calling me the name she loved, because everyone said it was dull, old fashioned and grannyish. Guess what it was?

MooMooSkit Tue 29-Jan-13 15:55:37

Bob.

mayanna123 Tue 29-Jan-13 15:45:01

"The only name I think is truly,irredeemably awful is Ethel...not on someone's Gran...on a modern day child. Names are cyclical I suppose"

But they only become 'cyclical' if everyone follows the trend and names their kids the same top 10-20 names e.g. Harry, Amelia etc currently. If no name ever becomes 'overused' it will never 'belong' to any particular era.

Sasparillo Tue 29-Jan-13 08:52:54

I don't think any names are boring & unattractive. Although I've met PEOPLE with some of the names mentioned that are boring & unattractive! Lol. I met a Barry once who was extremely handsome & charismatic, and his name didn't matter to me in the slightest :D xx

mathanxiety Tue 29-Jan-13 06:42:23

A box of chocolates is attractive and appealing but I don't particularly fancy a roll in the hay with one.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 28-Jan-13 22:46:11

I thought Andrew was of Greek origin?

The only name I think is truly,irredeemably awful is Ethel...not on someone's Gran...on a modern day child. Names are cyclical I suppose,the people calling their daughters Ethel are probably ahead of the curve.

I do have a soft spot for Dorothy though.

wigglybeezer Mon 28-Jan-13 20:52:33

Oops, I have killed this thread with my pedantic lecture! Story of my life [ grin]

wigglybeezer Mon 28-Jan-13 19:33:45

There seems to have been a fashion for Scottish names in England in the forties and fifties, lots of Donalds, Colins and Kenneths, Andrews and Gordons and Douglases etc. When the fashion ended they became uncool but they are more traditional and classic in Scotland and are not just old mens' names.

The Scottish patronymic naming traditional didn't die out in Scotland until more recently than in England, again especially in the Highhlands, so lots of wee Kenneths and Donalds names after their Grandfathers.

wigglybeezer Mon 28-Jan-13 19:26:42

Colin is a Scottish name, more common up here, particularly in the Highlands and traditional with some surnames eg. Campbell. It doesn't have the same negative connotations really (or it didn't until it spread from jokes and adverts originating down south). My brother Colin, reckoned it affected his dating success in London, thankfully he is now happily pared up with a Scottish girl ( who also has a derided name. I kind of wish I'd called one of my DS's Colin now, I love my DB.

DS3 was doing a family tree for homework and asked why we hadn't named him after his Grampa Ronald as he thinks it's a cool name! That would have been a step too far for me.

PenelopePisstop Mon 28-Jan-13 19:12:13

Nor does Donald. Don?

PenelopePisstop Mon 28-Jan-13 19:11:52

Kenneth doesn't appear to be making a come back. Even Ken doesn't work?

MidnightMasquerader Mon 28-Jan-13 18:56:42

I was given a desperately old-fashion, boring, dreary, old-lady name in the 70s - Isobel.

DS has a name mentioned very early on on this thread (but is known by a nn) - won't say which one for fear of outing myself entirely!

By the time he's in his prime, it'll be back in, and he'll stand out from all the Harrys, Charlies and Fins. That's my theory anyway, since it worked for me. grin

atthewelles Mon 28-Jan-13 17:04:39

I agree badtime, names like Sarah and Emma would not have been popular at all in 1970s Ireland, grew hugely in popularity in the 1980s and are still used quite frequently for new born babies. I also hear a lot of people on MN talking about how boring the name Louise is, whereas again it wouldn't be a particularly dated name here at all. Rachel would also be considered a pretty contemporary name and was practically unheard of here before the 1980s.

badtime Mon 28-Jan-13 16:51:20

atthewelles, suddenly it makes sense! I'm from NI, so I have slightly different ideas of what is dated from the English. I only ever knew one Colin!

There are so many threads that say how dated Sarah is, but I think everybody who would be called Sarah in England was called Roisin or Aisling (or, weirdly, Naomi) in NI. I never met a single person called Sarah back home (except my granny).

FruitOwl Mon 28-Jan-13 16:17:43

I had a crush on a lovely guy called Colin at uni. Now have a housemate called Colin! Must be more common than I realised! Also in my social group we have a Dennis, a Keith, a Brian and an Eileen (all late 20s/early 30s). On the right people those names can be lovely smile

atthewelles Mon 28-Jan-13 15:53:51

I only knew one Colin when I was growing up - a gorgeous looking boy from a very artistic family who ended up working in theatre. Then I worked with a very glamorous sophisticated girl who called her son Colin. As a result I always loved the name and was very surprised to realise it had such a nerdish image in England.

IceNoSlice Mon 28-Jan-13 15:30:06

To me, Dermot is rather a sexy name. But that's because I have a thing for Mr O'Leary. Mmmmm...

almapudden Mon 28-Jan-13 15:28:28

David, Stephen, Daniel, Mark and Ben.

Zzzzzz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now