What are the most boring, unsexy names in your opinion?

(85 Posts)
HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 08:53:51

I would go with Martin.

Nancy66 Mon 28-Jan-13 09:49:10

do you think there are loads of people out there called Kevin and Barbara who are all harbouring under the belief that they have a sexy name - and now their dreams are crushed?

It wouldn't upset me if I saw my name. I couldn't give a fuck what a bunch of faceless people on an internet forum think.

I've already seen my mum and dad's names. So what? It's not an attack on the person - it's just an opinion on their name - and one they didn't choose at that.

What's wrong with Norman???? shock

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Mon 28-Jan-13 09:54:27

Norman

It works, yes?

grin

bobthebuddha Mon 28-Jan-13 09:57:27

Good for you, Nancy66, but you're assuming everyone else is exactly the same as you. Empathy dear girl, empathy. I'm sticking to my point. These threads are mean-spirited.

fridayfreedom Mon 28-Jan-13 10:00:34

Thanks you just made my day, just spotted my name : ((

badtime Mon 28-Jan-13 11:39:57

My name has been mentioned here. It's not horrible, there have been a few threads recently where people have shame-facedly said that they really like it. I've always thought it was cute in its inappropriateness.

And frankly, some of the 'horrible, dated' names are much nicer than the fashionable ones. For example, I really like Colin and Deborah. Really.

And I don't need my name to be sexy, because I am.

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 11:43:57

I believe it badtime

badtime Mon 28-Jan-13 12:06:45

Huh?

Anyway, it's only time that separates the reaction to something like Maureen (which is officially dated and horrible) from the reaction to something like Edith (which is cool old lady chic, but was dated and horrible until a few years ago). I think it's hard to believe, but I would never have though 'Elsie' would be cool again.

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 12:14:49

Sorry, it was your user name! wink hard to write innuendos - must use more smileys

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 28-Jan-13 12:25:42

Well an unsexy name would surely be the name of your dad or brother (tries not to offend anyone by giving specific examples).

Hello HoneyandRum btw don't be put off starting off other threads smile

PootlePosyPerkin Mon 28-Jan-13 12:30:45

Names aren't sexy or unsexy IMHO, it's the people who carry them.

But if I was being pushed for an answer I'd say Vera or Derek grin.

mayanna123 Mon 28-Jan-13 12:46:06

How can a NAME be sexy or unsexy confused? A person, yes, but not his/her name imo.

However, a name CAN be dull if it has been overused. So names like Jack, Tom, Steve, Mike, Finn sound dull to my ears.

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 13:22:31

When I turned up at Uni and read the list of names of people in my year I saw the following names Juliana van der Grift and Johnny Buckle. I thought "I have to meet these people!" just their names made them intriguing. They ended up as great friends. Both are Brits. Johnny has a brother called Clint - they're from Manchester. You can't make this stuff up.

So although ultimately people not names are sexy, "A rose by any other name etc." names can give more for your imagination to play around with. (I imagine in 15+ years the page three girls will be Ethel, Agatha and Elsie.)

seeker Mon 28-Jan-13 13:23:53

It is completely ridiculous to say that a name is boring and unsexy!

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 13:24:58

Yes, let's be deadly serious about it

EnjoyResponsibly Mon 28-Jan-13 13:25:29

Graham and Angela

TheSecondComing Mon 28-Jan-13 13:25:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 13:27:57

I was waiting for that comment smile no I don't but apparently many people of another gender do as they've been selling newspapers for 40+ years. My point was more that names cycle through the generations.

DizzyHoneyBee Mon 28-Jan-13 13:29:28

Cedric....

ClartyCarol Mon 28-Jan-13 13:30:30

'News'papers are only for men then? Personally I hope in 15 years time there won't be any page 3.

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 13:36:13

Yes we were hoping that in 1985

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 13:38:32

Thanks DonkeysDontRideBicycles - quite feisty around here isn't it?

ClartyCarol Mon 28-Jan-13 13:38:36

The times they are a-changing. Probably won't be any printed newspaper at all in 15 years anyway.

ClartyCarol Mon 28-Jan-13 13:39:43

Well you should fit in well then grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now