Francesca? Worried about nicknames. What about the rest of my list??

(73 Posts)
sw11mumofone Sat 26-Jan-13 21:48:46

Hi
Due in 5 weeks and have boys name sorted. But cannot find the perfect girls name that i love! I really like Francesca but hate Fran and Chessie (which DH said he would shorten to!) Dont mind Frankie so much but do you really get any say in nicknames?
Or what do you think about the rest of my shortlist?

Delilah
Georgina
Sadie
Darcy
Siena
Saskia

Or any other suggestions for me? I like strong non frilly names. Would love opinions - am totally stuck in a rut!

Thanks!

Allalonenow Sun 27-Jan-13 11:19:53

Saskia is my favourite from your list, with Francesca a very close second. Delilah is my least favourite.

thisthreadwilloutme Sun 27-Jan-13 11:20:40

I knows Francesca shortened to cesca. Lovely.

I know a toddler Frankie, I think it's very cute.

delilah88 Sun 27-Jan-13 11:22:54

I know a few Francescas -- beautiful, creative women. If they get celled Chessie it's only very cute in light of how glamorous and Francesca-ey they usually seem!

Don't know any Delilahs at all, but I liked it too for DD. DH however thought it ridiculous, and after being persuaded I can see that it might seem a bit drag queen / prostitutey.

Francesca is awesome.

sw11mumofone Sun 27-Jan-13 13:16:49

Yes Wishful that was my concern about Darcy too. Has put me off..

Snow Leopard - thats interesting. I wouldnt have thought of Delly, and dont like it at all actually. My worry was Del actually! Nearly called DC1 Delilah and changed my mind once she was handed to me!

Think it will be way easier if we just have a boy!!!!

sw11mumofone Sun 27-Jan-13 13:20:52

Haha Delilah88 - well the drag queen/prostitute angle is another twist!!
Its looking like Francesca is coming out in top!
Thanks all for your input - much appreciated x

YeahBuddy Sun 27-Jan-13 13:24:51

I've known two Francesca's whose nn's were Flick.

Fwiw I think it's a lovely name (the full version) grin

BeanstalkandBump Sun 27-Jan-13 13:25:01

Francesca is lovely as is Cesca..... Never known of the shortening Chez. I think one is more the sort of nn you'd come up with yourself as a teen maybe. Not an obvious nn IMO.
Not so keen on others on your list tbh, except Darcy.

FlipFlopFloss Sun 27-Jan-13 13:30:31

I have known 2 Francesca's. Known as Chess and Cheska.

I love Sadie on your list. Its simple but classy I think and rather unusual. Dont know any Sadies at all, adults or children, not have I ever met one in RL.

Delilah - I worked with a lady who had a daughter Delilah (she must now be in her twentys). Before this I always used to think of Tom Jones but now when I hear the name my first reaction is my friends DD. Its pretty and unusual.

ivykaty44 Sun 27-Jan-13 13:33:15

I like Erin as a name that would be hard to shorten, it is bold and elegant

ivykaty44 Sun 27-Jan-13 13:34:09

Oh an dI know two Cheskas and one chessie

FlouncingMintyy Sun 27-Jan-13 13:37:02

Francesca is a seriously beautiful name, I absolutely love it. In my experience people's names don't get shortened if they don't allow it.

roseinwinter Sun 27-Jan-13 13:59:56

Francesca is a beautiful name!

Ok, I'm biased as it's my name but I do love it. I am always Cesca (pronounced Chess-ka) to friends and family, which I really like, but also get Frankie/Frank/Cesc/Cescy/Ces - which I like too. Never Fran. My mum disliked Fran and called me Cesca from when I was a baby so I think you can definitely dictate what it gets shortened to.

I only know one other Francesca, who is also a Cesca.

sw11mumofone Sun 27-Jan-13 14:10:08

I love how many people think Francesca is a beautiful name. It has really confirmed it for me. I have just read all these messages to DH and he likes Francesca too but Sadie is probably his favourite.

So our final shortlist is (probably!!!!):

Francesca Sophia
or
Sadie Alexandra

Have 4 weeks to think about it and sure i'll get the final choice as DH is happy with either!

FirstTimeForEverything Sun 27-Jan-13 14:13:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yama Sun 27-Jan-13 14:22:25

I was just coming on to suggest Alexandra but I see you mat use it as a middle name.

I love your final shortlist.

Yama Sun 27-Jan-13 14:22:51

may use it

sw11mumofone Sun 27-Jan-13 14:27:39

Thanks Yama. I love Alexandra but too close to D1's name!!

Sunnysummer Sun 27-Jan-13 14:31:34

Francesca is beautiful, though the three I know all get nicknamed. One is called Chess and one Chesca, though - which I think are really pretty nicknames, much nicer than Fran or Chessie smile.
Otherwise, Siena and Saskia from your list are also gorgeous and with only 2 syllables are maybe more likely to be kept as full names.

TheSecondComing Sun 27-Jan-13 14:35:49

TheSecondComing Sun 27-Jan-13 14:42:10

everlong Mon 28-Jan-13 13:38:15

I adore Francesca ( know a gorgeous one who gets Fran which I think is awful ) and if she were mine I'd not shorten it.

Our Gabriel is never Gabe.

sw11mumofone Mon 28-Jan-13 14:31:49

Yes its "Fran" that im concerned about. really dislike it. So i either dont shorten it and thats how it stays or shorten it myself and hope that one sticks....

BinkyWinky Mon 28-Jan-13 14:47:07

My next door neighbour has a Francesca and calls her Chicha for short (that's what it sounds like, I'm not sure if it has a proper spelling). I think it's lovely.

FreakoidOrganisoid Mon 28-Jan-13 14:54:43

I know five Francescas, two just called Francesca, one Fran, one Cesca and one Chessy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now