South East - how many Emilias?

(35 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Sat 26-Jan-13 07:56:55

Parents in South East England (especially Buckinghamshire), please could you tell me honestly how many girls you know called Emilia, how old they are & how they pronounce it / shorten it (if you know).

Was massively put off this name by popularity, but there is simply nothing DH & I love as much. We'd picked it out years ago before it was popular due to my love of Shakespeare plus it goes well with our foreign surname.

So how many are there really in this area? There's none (yet!) at DS' nursery....

MacaroniSaysShetlandPony Sun 27-Jan-13 11:23:19

Know 2 Amelies and 2 Amelias, all under 3. No Emilias, however. And no nicknames as yet.

And it's been mentioned on the 'most over popular' baby names thread a few times too.

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 05:13:06

Amelie, Amelia, Emilia - all with a very similar sound are very fashionable and wildly popular. I know three Amelies ages 6, 9 & 15. If you absolutely love a name use it, but be resigned to the fact that it is the current Zeitgeist.

Montsti Tue 29-Jan-13 14:48:03

I live abroad but am from the UK and still know a lot of people there. I know only one Emilia who is about 3 months old and in SW London. It's my favourite girl's name but my sis-in-law named her daughter Amelia so I didn't go for it. If I had, I would've given her the nn. Emmy/Emi as I know a lot of Millies (and Lillys/Mollys/Tillys etc..). It's a pain that Amelia is so popular though.

But if you love the name I would go for it!

Montsti Tue 29-Jan-13 14:48:43

Forgot to mention that I also know a lot of Emilys and a few Amelies too...

mayanna123 Tue 29-Jan-13 18:31:27

We know several little Emilias, Amelias, Emilys, Amelies and I too feel they are all quite 'trendy' at the moment.

shoobidoo Wed 30-Jan-13 10:45:35

We're in Surrey and I know 2 Emilias under ten, several Emilys as well as one Amelia. So yes, pretty popular round here.

qumquat Wed 30-Jan-13 18:11:55

I don't know any, but I think most people will pronounce it the same as Amelia as the difference is very subtle, and Amelia is one of the most popular names in the uk. (not that that would bother me, but I know it bothers lots of people here)

OkayHazel Thu 31-Jan-13 15:53:08

My cousin in one, she's 6. Her dad calls her Meelie.

redandwhitesprinkles Thu 31-Jan-13 15:55:36

Lots of Emilia's in West London, most from eastern European heritage. Basically just Amelia spelt differently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now