Right then fuckers... Names

(53 Posts)
benheldy Thu 24-Jan-13 21:33:27

Ok our daughter will be born in a couple weeks and we're struggling for a name.
My fat lazy husband doesnt like Alice (which I love) because our niece (same surname) is called Alyssa. Fair enough point perhaps...

So give me some clues. I prefer "normal" names, none of this Lily-Rosie or Gracie-Mae double barrelled trendy gash, just give me a nice normal name that isnt too old fashioned her schoolfriends will be taking the piss but not too cutesy that at age 65 she sounds like a sideshow act.

Suggestions ladies please...

benheldy Thu 24-Jan-13 22:09:56

Hahahaha you devious byatches! Love it

tilder Thu 24-Jan-13 22:14:18

Dh vetoed several names based on 80's rock songs or films. Not convinced the cultural reference would register but there we go.

Not heard Emma for ages and really like it. Like tess too.

I drew up endless name lists for all our children, several a bit driven by hormones rather than taste. We ended up with names that a lot of people would say are classic and traditional. Others would probably say boring. I love them. They aren't trendy, they don't scream a given decade, can go anywhere and have various nicknames.

I see a lot of the more unusual names I fell in love with becoming popular, and then losing popularity and am so glad we went for the names we did.

benheldy Thu 24-Jan-13 22:18:03

Yeah was also thinking Hannah. Very cute and wont get too old when she does.. Timeless..

The husband likes really old woman names like Edna and Susan and shit. He really doesnt have a clue. At one point he suggested Lisa, but quickly changed his mind believing this to be "too hip".

Yeah bitchez, its 2013 and he said "hip".

benheldy Thu 24-Jan-13 22:18:55

Cant call her Emma as thats my name smile

emmyloo2 Thu 24-Jan-13 22:23:50

Your posts are making me laugh out aloud! My name is also Emma. That's obviously beside the point mind. Alice is fabulous and your husband is being a shit not letting you have it. We are having a DD in May and my criteria are classic, timeless, not cutesy and not overused. I am currently settled on Elizabeth. Others - Laura, Josephine, Rose, Juliet. However, I think we will go with Elizabeth. Just tell the husband the day he shits a watermelon is the day he can vet your name choice. Go with Alice.

ScaredySquirrel Thu 24-Jan-13 22:24:05

I had Anna on my list (which had Alice on it too).

also Beatrice, Matilda, Elizabeth are nice.

I think you should call her Anna. or Alice.

YoSaffBridge Thu 24-Jan-13 22:26:42

Hannah is a gorgeous name, very classic, suits every age. It's quite near the top of our list for any future DD2.

emmy, Josephine is lovely!

Alice is awesome and a squillion times better than Alyssa

Lucy
Anna
Heidi
Amy

benheldy Thu 24-Jan-13 22:35:24

Well I've set my mind on Alice now and have told the husband to deal with it.
I gave him those eyes like if he doesn't accept it I'll be putting anti freeze in his flask, so for now, hes keeping quiet.

MsFlippingHeck Thu 24-Jan-13 22:36:24

OP you are making me smile too.

DC2 was going to be Alice but he had a penis so we had to rethink.

Chardonnay125689 Thu 24-Jan-13 22:38:29

I like Lawfawnda or Shanikwa! I carnt decide between the 2!?

tilder Thu 24-Jan-13 22:39:06

Can tell I read Jane Austen stuff for the first time when pregnant.

I love Alice too. Not sure how you pronounce Alyssa.

Grumpla Thu 24-Jan-13 22:41:07

Claim you will wait until you meet the baby.
Give birth.
Take baby in your arms for the first time. Look up at husband adoringly.
Look down at baby and whisper loudly enough for everyone in the room to hear "Hello, little Alice!"

Worked for me when we couldn't agree on a name for DS2.

DISCLAIMER: I did not call my baby son Alice.

benheldy Thu 24-Jan-13 22:41:26

Wow such pretty names! Inna de Ghetto

MrsDeVere Thu 24-Jan-13 22:43:46

I know I will probably get mullered on MN for this but...
I chose all the names in my house. DCs Dogs and cats.

Oh just nods and smiles. He was a bit taken aback at Hendrix but meh.

On the way to register DC4 I said 'shall we just add Lennon in? (Dc already had 3 names sorted)

It was a rhetorical question.

I didnt start off like that. But after the first few times of asking and the best he could come up with being his horrible middle name and a few 'erm, um....'

I just gave up. He is rubbish at names. I am fecking brilliant at names.

Megsdaughter Thu 24-Jan-13 22:50:37

Romilly or Orla if I had my choice again ( and seeing my choice was over 30 years ago I have to get them out on here and not comment on my lovely pregnant DDIL smile

tilder Thu 24-Jan-13 22:52:09

Why would you get mullered for that mrsdevere? Sound like a good plan. Dc3 was nameless for a while and although I love her first name I don't like her middle name. Wasn't really concentrating on the conversation and ended up with mil's name. Nothing to do withe being het (much) just the name. Bad move.

Grumpla Thu 24-Jan-13 22:53:07

Quite right Mrs DeVere.

If it came out of your vagina, you get to name it.

Not sure how it works with horses though.

Grumpla Thu 24-Jan-13 22:53:50

Horses? Why did I assume you had horses? Dogs I meant.

MrsDeVere Thu 24-Jan-13 23:20:54

Oh how I wish I had a horsey....

biscuit

Innit

Grumpla Thu 24-Jan-13 23:28:16

They do smell though.

Mind you, so do babies.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 24-Jan-13 23:32:35

I love Alice.do it!

FeeFoo Thu 24-Jan-13 23:46:12

Emily
Amelia
Isabelle
Zoe
Saskia
Leyla
Lydia
Vanessa
Ava
Mia
Nancy
Nadia
Kate
Rose
Anna
Roseanna!
Vivian
Mary
Raffaella
Ellie
Hannah
Rebecca
Alternatively do a deal with DH about name choices, he can choose middle namewink or something else to that effect. It sounds like Alice is the right choice for you, he just needs to be persuadedgrin

benheldy Fri 25-Jan-13 01:51:43

Thanks all! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now