Make Me Feel Better that I Can't Have "Jack"...

(48 Posts)
FranglaisMaman Tue 22-Jan-13 20:19:11

Yes, I know, it is hideously popular, but I can't help it. It was the only boys name I've liked for ages. THEN, husband's sister fell pregnant again while we were still trying and guess what name she used for her son - Jack envy. Now every time I hear his name I feel a pang of regret that my baby won't be Jack. It's so cute and yet strong too. I'd feel bad using the name now even though MIL & FIL said go ahead (& SIL copied it from her friend anyway) so need something similar instead.

It really is hideously popular/overused/crap/rubbish/boring anyway isn't it? (unashamedly lies to self...)

Now we're left with either Harry, Charlie or Joshua (DH likes Joshua/Josh but we've met a few of our own age group so it feels a bit odd to me).

FM xx

ceeveebee Tue 22-Jan-13 22:13:28

I'd go for a name completely different to Jack, not beginning with J, otherwise you'll always think of the name as the next-best choice (and GPs will get all confused when they get older..). Charlie is nice. What about George? Sam? Ben? Dan? Max?

Uppermid Tue 22-Jan-13 22:17:19

Zac? Short for Zachary

Umicar Tue 22-Jan-13 22:18:08

Frank?

ceeveebee Tue 22-Jan-13 22:23:46

Love Frank. Its my grandad's name. DH overruled and we ended up with Stanley (as a middle name).

ceeveebee Tue 22-Jan-13 22:24:09

Fred?

ToomuchWaternotWine Tue 22-Jan-13 22:33:08

As is always said, good idea to wait and see baby and see what fits! I had a list of names in my head including Danny / Daniel, Liam, Callum, a few others I can't remember now, I had rejected Jack as "too popular"

Anyway when Ds was born he definitely didn't look like any of the names I had wanted, and gradually Jack just kept coming into my mind when I looked at him. DH agreed. Now he's 6 and couldn't be anything else. There is one other jack in his whole year at school. And we've only met one other jack locally too. Although we are Scottish, so are up to our eyeballs in Callums, Lewis, Rory's etc!!

VBisme Tue 22-Jan-13 22:38:47

Jack is a nn for John, so you could use John.
What about Jacob or Joshua, or Johnathan?

sashh Wed 23-Jan-13 06:55:21

Put James, John or Jacques on the birth certificate and call him Jack.

Matildaduck Wed 23-Jan-13 07:04:01

Henry is lovely.

I had this when a good friend called their son Owen, it was (at the time) the only boy's name I liked.

But I did go on to find other names I liked. And went on to have two girls anyway.

CheerfulYank Wed 23-Jan-13 07:35:22

I love Jack and it's not very popular here. We have a Sam now, may have a Jack someday.

We also like Alec a lot. smile

Smudging Wed 23-Jan-13 07:36:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BouncyPenguin Wed 23-Jan-13 08:00:10

I think if you really want it then have Jack. My father in law has the same name as his cousin. In days gone by that was extremely common. My nephew is Jack and I thought it too common at the time but love it for him now. If you decide against it then go for something completely different. Look through lots of names and find another one you love. How about Alex James, George James, Thomas James, John James, Henry James, Lewis James, Benjamin James (Ben is cute and strong)

Gwennan Wed 23-Jan-13 11:37:21

If you love Jack, you might like:

Alexander (Alex)
Alistair (Ali)
Andrew (Andy)
Angus, August, Fergus (Gus)
Barnaby, Barney
Benjamin, Benedict (Ben)
Declan
Dexter
Callum, Calvin (Cal)
Edmund, Edward, Edwin (Ed, Ted, Ned)
Eli
Elliot
Felix
Isaac (Ike)
Jacob (Jake)
Jonah, Jonas, Joseph, Josiah, etc. - all leading to the nickname Joe
Macsen, Mackenzie, Cormac etc. - all leading to the nickname Mac/Mack
Max
Peter (Pete)
Samuel (Sam)
Sebastian (Seb)
Thomas (Tom)
Timothy (Tim)
Tobias (Toby)
Zachariah (Zac)
Zachary (Zac)

NowPlayingZone Wed 23-Jan-13 12:17:53

Apologies Beaditsback. Was number one December: http://www.bounty.com/baby-names/top-boys’-names-–-december-2012, but number two overall in 2012: http://www.bounty.com/baby-names/top-100-baby-names-2012.
Think that Jack is a lovely name and know a few adorable ones. Was just trying to support op in her request- no offence to anyone with a Jack.

JustAHolyFool Wed 23-Jan-13 12:19:21

It's not an actual name, is it? It's a nickname of John.

I mean as far as names as actual names.

Beaditsback Wed 23-Jan-13 13:12:35

Not offended at all. It's a fan name and popular for that reason. grin
We like Toby if this bump is a boy.
Really hope you go with what you love. The boys aren't likely to be in the same social circles are they??

Beaditsback Wed 23-Jan-13 13:13:01

Fab even grin

Mosman Wed 23-Jan-13 13:18:24

I would go with John, very under used.

I know 5 Jacks under the age of 10 5

Mosman Wed 23-Jan-13 13:19:58

Hands off Frank, that is my imaginary DC's name.

FranglaisMaman Wed 23-Jan-13 15:39:44

Well, without going into it, we never see DH's sister anyway as we all lead very separate busy lives and tbh I couldn't stomach being around her even before she beat me to the punch on the name, haha! So no, our children won't be in the same social circles, will hardly ever set eyes on each other I should imagine, we live in completely different regions. Just don't like the idea of my baby being known as "Jack 2" within DH's family and any snide remarks. There are no Jacks in my own family though so I thought I was safe! Boo.

Hubby likes:
Sebastian James (but FIL thinks it's common as in chavvy). I think it's too long for a child learning to write & for people to write on bday cards etc.

We both like:
Harry James (our fave at the mo)
Charlie James (but hate Charles)
Jacob James (Jake)
Joseph James ('Joe' - nice but not sure if it sounds a bit zzzzzzzzzz)

Quite like Henry James but DH hates it and my Dad was always embarrassed to have it as a middle name and thinks boy will be teased for it in teens...

thegreylady Wed 23-Jan-13 18:34:28

John is perfect
I have a dgs who is Edward James and one who is Finn James [guess what my df's name was smile ]

My school friend's mum always loved the name Martha but despite having girls they never used the name so she got a dog and called her Martha. Perhaps you can use Jack another way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now