Masculine sounding girls names wwyd

(35 Posts)
Harrysmummysarah1 Mon 21-Jan-13 17:53:57

Wwyd if you knew you were having a girl but loved the name Eric for a boy and wanted to call a future son that but you also like Erica do you use Erica ? Even though you like Eric better but you may never have a son then not be able to use either if you don't use Erica?

Harrysmummysarah1 Mon 21-Jan-13 17:55:04

Hope that makes sense also suggestions instead of Erica ? This is for my dear cousin. She was talking about it the other day

Harrysmummysarah1 Mon 21-Jan-13 17:56:35

She doesn't like names like Penelope verity daisy etc etc... Nothing to frilly and girly sounding

juneau Mon 21-Jan-13 17:57:56

As there is never a guarantee that you'll have another baby of any gender, I say go with Erica, if that's a name she likes.

Girl versions of boy names:
Roberta ...

Shall I go on?

HappyJustToBe Mon 21-Jan-13 17:58:10

I prefer Erin to Erica.

IncognitoIsMyFavouriteWord Mon 21-Jan-13 17:58:20

Use Erica. You like the name just use it.

omri Mon 21-Jan-13 18:02:55

I like Erica. Other potential names:
Carla/carlie (or with a K)
Charlotte but forever only known as Charlie
Georgina but forever known only as George
Francesca known only as Frankie
I also like Petra which is derived from Peter
Hope that helpsgrin

I had the reverse. I didn't call DS2 Kit even though it was my absolute top favourite boy name, because Kitty for a hypothetical DC3/DD1 was even more of a favourite.

Is this definitely her last child?

FWIW I hate Eric but quite like Erica. Odd grin !

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 21-Jan-13 18:18:25

Harrysmummysarah1 Mon 21-Jan-13 19:13:38

Can't have an Erin and a Eric though but Erin is a nice name.
They will proberly try for another baby after this but if she never has a son she has lost her chance to use erica or Eric if she doesn't call her daughter erica. There's no other girls name she likes than boys eric and Luca/lucas but my sister has a lucas are the only two she really loves that her and her dh agree on.
Erica and Luca/lucas is that too similar?

Harrysmummysarah1 Mon 21-Jan-13 19:14:30

I mean theres no other boys names she likes other than

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 21-Jan-13 19:17:56

I think Erica and Lucas would be fine, but by DC2 they might have thought of a whole new set of parameters, smile

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Mon 21-Jan-13 19:20:31

We did this, well DH did as DD1s name was his choice. He chose the female version of a boys name because he loves the shortened version (which is the same for boy or girl). I was pleased because I love DDs name but really don't like the male form, and now it means if we have a boy he can't use it smile

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Mon 21-Jan-13 19:21:10

Oh, and I think Eric's is a lovely name that I don't hear very often.

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Mon 21-Jan-13 19:21:59

Erica that should have read. Afraid I don't really like Eric much...

SneezySnatcher Mon 21-Jan-13 19:22:20

I'm in exactly this position. We're having a DS. DH wants to call him George. I like that but if we have DC3 and it's a girl I'd want to use Georgina. Obviously there's no guarantee of having DC3 and it being a girl so I feel silly vetoing the name for that reason.

MadBusLady Mon 21-Jan-13 19:44:29

There's a whole thread going at the moment about non-frilly girls' names if any of those appeal to her? I'm just thinking if she found something she liked even better than Erica, she'd still have Eric in reserve.

But I think I would use Erica.

HotPanda Mon 21-Jan-13 20:32:58

I might be being dumb, but if she doesn't use Eric/Erica for this one and has another why has she missed her chance?
Surely she could just use for the 2nd child which you say she is planning.

I had a similar dilemma over Oliva and Oliver but since I was only ever having 1 child it actually made things easier.

mumzy Mon 21-Jan-13 21:42:29

Yfronts Tue 22-Jan-13 00:23:08

Yfronts Tue 22-Jan-13 00:24:08

Can't she name the girl erica but call her eric?

eachtigertires Tue 22-Jan-13 23:38:00

Probably unhelpful but I do know a brother and sister Daniel and Daniella!

Devora Tue 22-Jan-13 23:56:08

BourbonsandTea Wed 23-Jan-13 12:28:06

^ what hotpanda said. Use Eric or Erica for last planned child unless a boy comes along sooner

DonderandBlitzen Wed 23-Jan-13 14:10:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now