Can you help me decide if I like this girl's name?

(83 Posts)
DoodleAlley Sat 19-Jan-13 09:40:25

So we've been merrily going through this pregnancy without much thought that the product of it might need a name!

I tend to mull over names and then work out if I like it or not. Most I'll start out liking but then realise its not the name for us.

Except for one name that I can't decide if I love it or am completely not fussed.

So what do you think about... Moira?

Just general impressions if you heard it even if you wouldn't choose it would be appreciated. And is it too closely linked to the newsreader of the same name?!

Thank you!

mrsjay Sat 19-Jan-13 10:04:39

the only Moiras I know are older women in their 50s and 60s nothing wrong with it as a name but I dont think it is on it's way back just yet , although it really is your c hoice if you like it then use it you may bring it back smile

Jemma1111 Sat 19-Jan-13 10:06:27

I can't imagine any child being happy to be named Moira tbh, its an awful name, sorry

Sugarice Sat 19-Jan-13 10:09:19

If we'd had a girl I'd have chosen Lara, it's such a pretty name. smile

StinkyWicket Sat 19-Jan-13 10:09:30

It's horrible.

There's granny chic and granny vile, that falls into the vile category.

TotemPole Sat 19-Jan-13 10:10:42

NeverQuiteSure, same here, Moira Stewart also comes to my mind. I don't think I know another Moira.

mrsjay Sat 19-Jan-13 10:11:22

you dont need to be so vile stinky it is just a name and the op was just asking jeez .

DeDevilTail Sat 19-Jan-13 10:14:46

Don't like it at all, sorry.

Borntobeamum Sat 19-Jan-13 10:19:14

Are you Scottish?
There are so many beautiful names.
I think Moira is not beautiful

TotemPole Sat 19-Jan-13 10:22:22

Go on to Google and type Moira, the first in the(very short) list is Moira Stewart. So even Google agrees that that's who Moira is.

I don't mind it but I of a Victoria wood sketch where the Moira in it was a bit posh and called herself Mwah-rah grin

mirpuppet Sat 19-Jan-13 10:23:58

One of my least favourite names.

TotemPole Sat 19-Jan-13 10:26:12

What about Mia?

DoodleAlley, how many syllables does your surname have?

Lafaminute Sat 19-Jan-13 10:27:42

I liked Mara but thought it meant bitter - which mput me off. Ditto for Myra after Myra Hindley. Moira is pretty though....and you know, your child will make the name lovely too. My friend called her son a name I thought was god-awful at the time. He's such a lovely boy that I would - 10 years later have loved the name for my son: totally converted!

DoodleAlley Sat 19-Jan-13 10:30:11

One syllable surname

carbondated Sat 19-Jan-13 10:30:31

My window cleaner has a dd called Mirrin. I thought it was so unusual and pretty. I like Mara too. But as uppermid says, it's not what other people think - if you like a name then I wouldn't let people put you off using it unless you were thinking of Hitler for a boy or something.

MarmaladeSkies Sat 19-Jan-13 10:31:27

It's a very unattractive name.

Moira is a nice name, I went to school with a girl called Mira & that was quite a common name back then.

mrsjay Sat 19-Jan-13 10:32:42

god when I had dd2 the spate of Mirrins it took over It is a strange sounding name far to many Rs especially for scots it goes on for days mirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrin grin

Myra Hindley doesn't bother me. I was born in the year of the last official investigation.

Nobody bats an eyelid at the million Rose's and Fred's being born. You wouldn't think twice about Harold, Ian, or Mary.

I quite like it, makes me think of Peter Pan - Wendy Moira Angela Darling smile

TotemPole Sat 19-Jan-13 11:37:05

Myra isn't a common name, so people associate it with the one very infamous person they know of.

They won't that with Peters & Freds because there are plenty of other people to associate the name with.

TotemPole Sat 19-Jan-13 11:38:12

The won't do that with Peters & Freds because there are plenty of other people to associate the name with.

KnightBusRider Sat 19-Jan-13 11:38:40

First of all I though NO! but then I thought of a little toddler called Moira and thought awwww.

I still don't think i could use it though.

AlienReflux Sat 19-Jan-13 11:40:36

I like Mara, and lara, but not Moira, sounds too old womany to me

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sat 19-Jan-13 11:42:07

I don't like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now