Gus?

(21 Posts)
OkayHazel Sun 20-Jan-13 14:36:29

Augustus Waters became Gus as he lost his magnificence and became more and more ill.

Though I appreciate he is quite a niche literary character. I love Augustus because of this namesake.

bex2011 Sat 19-Jan-13 21:20:24

I have a 'just' Gus! I really worried about him having a full name but knew I would only call him Gus so went for it. It suits him really well and we've had really positive comments about his name. Do it!

Rhubarbgarden Sat 19-Jan-13 21:09:41

Did he? Well then you see - all Gus's are lovely people. smile

WinkyWinkola Sat 19-Jan-13 21:06:35

I love Gus. Wanted to call ds3 Atticus and Gus for short - tenuous I know grin - but dh vetoed.

scurryfunge Sat 19-Jan-13 21:00:12

Oh, middle name is Edmund(family name).

Oh yes, fetched me a glass of wine once, so definitely rated highly by me grin

kitsmummy Sat 19-Jan-13 20:57:24

it's a fab name

Rhubarbgarden Sat 19-Jan-13 20:54:36

Yes, but the fact that he's chosen to use Gus professionally rather than Augustine demonstrates that it hasn't held him back.

Gus O'Donnel is really Augustine though

scurryfunge Sat 19-Jan-13 20:50:35

I have a Gus though it it is a shortened version of his proper name.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 19-Jan-13 20:48:15

I have a Gus so obviously I love it. He's half Dutch and in Holland it's a standalone name (albeit spelt Guus) so I had no qualms about not using Augustus or anything long. And Sir Gus O'Donnell's success rather scotches the high court judge argument. My Gus's middle name is Antonius (family name).

forgetmenots Fri 18-Jan-13 21:36:45

I like it, Angus is top of my name list and I love Fergus and Magnus too. Gus doesn't go with my surname on its own (IMO) but thinking if it's a nn his friends use, they won't use it with his surname.

Middle names would depend if he is Fergus or just Gus, I think - but something a bit longer to balance out the short first name?

OddBoots Fri 18-Jan-13 21:16:58

I know a Magnus who is a Gus, I like it. smile

Anonymumous Fri 18-Jan-13 21:15:23

Augustus is lovely. Fergus makes me think of Fungus.

Timetoask Fri 18-Jan-13 16:48:59

I love it, original, short, lovely!!!

I've just remembered Gus Honeybun. That's the only 'negative' I can think of for the name Gus, and hardly relevant.

12ylnon Fri 18-Jan-13 16:46:29

Ohhh, Fergus! Thats lovely!

I know a (grown up) Gus and he's lovely. I think he's really a Fergus though. I like the name Gus.

Minty82 Fri 18-Jan-13 16:45:08

I like it, but I do think of it as a nn. I sympathise though, I don't like those two either. Fergus?

lljkk Fri 18-Jan-13 16:43:12

I know one, 5yo.
I admit I blanched a lot when I first heard it.
I even confessed as much MN while most people said they loved it!
Still makes me think of Gomer Pyle, sorry.

12ylnon Fri 18-Jan-13 16:40:50

For a boy- just Gus. Not to keen on Augustus or Angus.
Also, what middle names would go nicely with it? Our sir name begins with 'G'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now