boys names for cool boys?

(131 Posts)
MyFriendGoo Tue 15-Jan-13 15:58:18

DH and I are totally stuck- he thinks my choices are boring (Henry, Barnaby, Max) but his choices are too out there for me (Milo, Jobie, Amos). We've agreed we want a name that shows a bit of spark and individuality, but we need a middle ground! Thoughts?

evamummy Mon 21-Jan-13 07:30:22

Absolutely. Unless the name is Poopoohead or Willy, most kids just accept a name for what it is, what their mates are called. We've got so many different names at our school, from all cultures that the kids seem pretty open minded about different names.

amck5700 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:42:56

Whilst I agree that a lot of the names people have said that are cool don't sound cool to me, I also agree that kids don't really bother about names too much. My son had a girl called Santa in his class for a while and he didn't even think that was odd, it was just her name.....and he was age 10/11 at the time.

evamummy Sun 20-Jan-13 22:01:35

serin, I don't think kids would find Sebastian, Mungo or Florian that odd. I also don't think you need to be a 'strong character' to have an unusual name.

There are so many names used these days, from different cultures (e.g. Florian is a top 10 German name) that most kids are more open minded than some of us smile.

carameldecaflatte Sun 20-Jan-13 19:58:32

Felix. I must admit to being rather biased. It means fortunate/happy.
DH vetoed Milo, Arlo, Max and Ted.

LittleDonkin Sun 20-Jan-13 19:47:19

After reading through this thread my favourite name in the world has been mentioned umpteen times! I have loved the name Xander since I was a teenager (I watched far too much Buffy!). Do you think it "goes" with my surname which is the 2nd half of my username, I dont know if it does with the der and don sounds. What do you think? (Sorry to hijack thread!)

I always liked Jolyon after watching the Forsyte Saga. DD2 would have been Jonah if she'd been a boy which I think is very cool.

I work in a nursery and 'classic' names are really popular, we have several girls named Ava for example. When I was pregnant I downloaded the Scottish registrars list to see what names were registered last year. Good way to find new names too smile

lockets Sun 20-Jan-13 19:03:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

serin Sun 20-Jan-13 18:55:36

Oh come on!

Florian, Mungo and Sebastian?

Cool?

Dh works in a posh private school and kids would have to be pretty strong characters to carry these names off even there.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 19-Jan-13 16:29:35

Raphael
Dashiell
Sylvester (Sly)
Aaron
Seb
Xander

FayeKorgasm Fri 18-Jan-13 23:03:13

So is Magnus.

FayeKorgasm Fri 18-Jan-13 23:00:17

Hector is so cool

Selks Fri 18-Jan-13 22:53:46

Louie / Louis
Cade
Caspar
Quentin
Miles
Florian
Corban
Gus
Gregor
Stefan
Xander

Purplelooby Fri 18-Jan-13 22:40:17

I'm in love with the name Rex! DH says no sad

LMAO doyouwantfrieswiththat

BinarySolo Fri 18-Jan-13 17:29:39

Griff is on my list! Love it. Definitely agree that it's the person that makes a name cool. When naming my son, we did however say how can he fail to be cool if he's called xxxx! (He's not called xxxx btw. That would be weird and trick to pronounce)

I know a couple that adopted a boy called Nigel. I kinda think he'll still turn out to be a little dude.

Travis
Seth
Griff

bigbluebump Fri 18-Jan-13 14:55:29

Lots of great names on here!

I think most names become 'cool' if the the child/person is cool/nice and this will be easier if the name isn't already used a lot (as people don't have many associations).

We have a Quentin who is super cool grin.

BinarySolo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:30:23

My dh, ds and dad's names are all listed here, as is half of our surname! Currently trying to think of a name in case I have a boy in September. Wished I kept back the name Morton, rather than using it for ds's middle name.

lockets Fri 18-Jan-13 14:01:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LJBrownie Fri 18-Jan-13 13:53:36

I like Dexter and Woody and have a baby Quinn (yes a boy - damn glee wink).

mrsmindcontrol Fri 18-Jan-13 13:44:42

All 3 of my boys names are on here including my super cool DS1 Felix. And our dog is called Dexter. AND Milo is our standby name should there ever be a DS4 (unlikely).
I must be the coolest mum ever wink

notso Fri 18-Jan-13 13:37:20

I wanted Linus for DS3 Littlecherublegs uncoolDH disagreed!

NaturalBaby Fri 18-Jan-13 13:27:45

My 2yr old has a friend called Atticus. DH looked hmm when I told him but met the family and totally gets it now!

I had 3 boys and think they all have pretty cool names, one could be called a chav name though, but each time had to start over because I didn't want to use a name from a previous shortlist. I'll have to use up the names I really wanted on future pets.

Littlecherublegs Fri 18-Jan-13 12:51:48

Love Amos!

Silas
Otto
Cornelius
Xander
Travis
Jarod
Linus
Zacharius
Elijah
Monty
Jackson
Tait

notso Fri 18-Jan-13 11:16:43

My three boys names are listed here but two of them also always get listed on "chav" or "names you hate" threads, one parents cool is another ones naff.

I recently met an Atticus and I instantly thought cool name.

persephoneplum Fri 18-Jan-13 10:47:57

Love this thread. I don't see any harm in wanting a cool name - I want one too, for my last child.

We're still down to Jarvis and Kit and they are really cool to me. I want a name that is a little unique, yet familiar and these days, most kids seem to like that about a name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now