boys names for cool boys?

(131 Posts)
MyFriendGoo Tue 15-Jan-13 15:58:18

DH and I are totally stuck- he thinks my choices are boring (Henry, Barnaby, Max) but his choices are too out there for me (Milo, Jobie, Amos). We've agreed we want a name that shows a bit of spark and individuality, but we need a middle ground! Thoughts?

Frikadellen Tue 15-Jan-13 18:52:49

IMO the way around this (dh and I had a similar problem) is to find traditional names that are not commonly used. That way you get your traditional feel and dh gets his " out there " feel so names like

Ely
Conrad
Edmund
Douglas
Reginald
Solomon
Horatio
Walter
Pierce
Neil
Miles
Frank
Glynn/Glen
Elvis
Wayne
(Sorry I had to add the last 2)

everlong Tue 15-Jan-13 18:56:35

Spike is pretty cool.

tammytoby Tue 15-Jan-13 18:58:40

Quentin
Fabian
Austin.

Are all 'cool' based on my experience of people who own them.
But agree that a cool person will make ANY name cool!

amazingmumof6 Tue 15-Jan-13 19:00:40

"who own them" - LMFHO grin

amazingmumof6 Tue 15-Jan-13 19:04:19

cheesestraw - yes, good point and based on that how about Kojak? grin

twoteenagers2 Tue 15-Jan-13 19:08:41

You can't choose Max with today's links with yewtree. How about Leo, Noah, Stanley, Kevin, Robin?

shufflebum Tue 15-Jan-13 19:11:12

Xander
Jude
Zachary
Xavier

Jed

wiltingfast Tue 15-Jan-13 19:15:36

Ultan
Finbarr
Tarquin
Fred
Wilf
Declan

Love Barnaby and Milo!

marriedinwhite Tue 15-Jan-13 19:16:21

If your son is cool, the name will seem cool. That's the way it works I think. DS's cool friends don't have particularly cool names. Would list them but likely to out myself because that group is pretty well known and most of you lot know where I'm from but needless to say there's a James and a Will. DS is 18.

amazingmumof6 Tue 15-Jan-13 19:18:45

Max & yewtree - meaning?

Iris1 Tue 15-Jan-13 19:21:13

(B)eggs(B) - what a judgemental thing to say. You should meet my Oliver he's far from snotty and wet. A name really doesn't make someone behave a certain way. My son is a genius - I'm not kidding, I have another child and the age difference is small but i wouldn't say she was a genius. He is though, and he blows people away with his intellect, kindness, and confidence . He's a million miles away from being 'wet', and although I dont usually let comments on here bother me I feel obliged to tell you how rude it is to make assumptions like that.

Back on topic I think Barnaby is absolutely awesome.

Megglevache Tue 15-Jan-13 19:33:44

Ted
Spike
Ralph
Roberto
Wilf
Art
Leonardo

oopsadaisymaisy Tue 15-Jan-13 19:35:18

Traditional appears to be cool these days.

Piemother Tue 15-Jan-13 19:37:56

Knox

TheSecondComing Tue 15-Jan-13 19:39:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZumbaZara Tue 15-Jan-13 19:39:56

Saul

Savechamges Tue 15-Jan-13 19:41:28

Carter if it hasn't already been mentioned!

Beehatch Tue 15-Jan-13 19:43:50

Kester
Cassian
Alban
Cyrus

everlong Tue 15-Jan-13 19:45:32

I think Woody is pretty awesome but I know I'm in a minority.

I like Rex and Ned too.

brambleking Tue 15-Jan-13 19:45:59

Monty
Arlo
Ted
Hector
Spike
Wilbur
Percy
Woody

brambleking Tue 15-Jan-13 19:46:50

Everlong - we posted Woody at the same time!!!!!

A cool kid makes their name cool, unless they have a really normal boring name like Matthew or James, in which case they can still bew cool but their name won't stand out as part of their coolness.

I am a KS2 supply teacher and observe these things very closely so I am speaking from experience here grin

Cool nmes do help though, if the kid has something about him anyway, it adds to the complete package, as does being a good looking kid.

Some names that can add to a cool kid and that seem cool becuase a kid carries it off well include Bo, Hugo, Mungo, Bruno, Aston, Henry, Max, Saxon, Roman, Rufus, Cornelius, Logan and Zak.

I have known kids by these names who are not cool and the name then just becomes a nice name, rather than a cool one.

Also though, kids go through different stages in their lives when they are cool and then not so cool, so it changes anyway. No kid is cool all the time. Nor should we want them to be.

Oh yes, Arlo, and Orson too.

SmallKindnesses Tue 15-Jan-13 19:49:55

Lev
Seth
Hector

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now