Final decision made- could you Please give your very honest views??

(73 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Mon 14-Jan-13 17:21:22

Hi all due very soon having a girl- we have finally agreed on a name I liked very old-fashioned names my partner does not but we have finally agreed on ...............Georgia Elizabeth.
Can I ask what is your opinion?
Do you think Georgia is chavvy?
Thanks for any feedback

meditrina Mon 14-Jan-13 19:19:42

Georgia is OK.

Personally I prefer the other female forms of George, though.

Silvertop Mon 14-Jan-13 19:25:47

Beautiful and not at all chavvy. Surprised you even considered it to be chavvy. I always think of Georgia O'Keefe the famous artist.

TwoFacedCows Mon 14-Jan-13 19:29:43

I personally dont like it.

Viviennemary Mon 14-Jan-13 19:35:22

I quite like it. And prefer it to Georgina. What about Georgiana. Wasn't she a character out of Pride and Prejudice.

Georgia isn't chavvy. Jorja might be.

Not my style, but pretty.

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 14-Jan-13 19:37:09

i love it (still gutted DH vetoed georgia as name for my dd1 and dd2)

Georgiana is Darcy's sister.

She was also the Duchess of Devonshire (as recently played by Keira "fishface" Knightley.

Georgiana's rhymes with anus. Which puts me off grin

Coconutty Mon 14-Jan-13 19:42:43

I don't like it, there are lots around here and I have known a few naughty ones (work in a school) which has probably put me off even more.

I like Georgina though, it seems more solid and less fashionable.

Georgia sounds very dated to me, sorry.

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Mon 14-Jan-13 19:48:02

Personally i'm not keen, Georgina is much nicer smile

EugenesAxe Mon 14-Jan-13 19:50:44

No, I don't think it's chavvy & I like the combination.

curiousgeorgie Mon 14-Jan-13 19:52:57

I love it... It's beautiful.

TidyDancer Mon 14-Jan-13 19:59:02

It's nice. It's one of those names that doesn't really impact me one way or the other, but it's certainly not chavvy. As others have pointed out though, if you spelled it Jorja then it would be a tad trashy.

AlexanderS Mon 14-Jan-13 20:15:14

I think Georgia is predominantly, though not exclusively, associated with a working class background.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 14-Jan-13 20:21:02

Is that based on children you know from your area*alexanderS*? It's not very common at all where I live but know it is more common in other areas

permaquandry Mon 14-Jan-13 20:23:28

I think it's lovely. I know a Georgia and she is an adorable, sweet, and funny little girl.

Zavi Mon 14-Jan-13 20:32:57

Georgia lovely. Def not chavvy. Will almost certainly be called Georgie or George by her friends though.

I think Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall's children are called Elizabeth and Georgia aren't they?

AlexanderS Mon 14-Jan-13 20:34:26

Maybe I've developed the wrong impression - have just asked DP what his impression is of Georgia (he's a teacher) and he said it's mixed - he has taught posh Georgias and not-so-posh Georgias.

AlexanderS Mon 14-Jan-13 20:36:54

I do like it as a name, by the way.

Actually for what it's worth I notice that they run in - GeorgiaRelizabeth.

Elizabeth Georgia doesn't.

OkayHazel Tue 15-Jan-13 21:10:03

Georgia is the only 'George-starting' girls name I dislike.

Hoping her nickname is George! Love George on a girl!

BeaLola Tue 15-Jan-13 21:20:47

Its ok but I don't love it . Like Elizabeth a lot as a mkiddle name - timeless quality.

xXjoiedevivreXx Tue 15-Jan-13 21:26:42

I think it's lovely. If we were having a girl Elizabeth would have been her middle name for sure. Georgia is a gorgeous name and was on my list, I think they go very well together.

thegreylady Tue 15-Jan-13 22:01:12

lovely names smile

Megglevache Tue 15-Jan-13 22:05:29

Congratulations :-D
It's a really pretty name .

WifeofPie Tue 15-Jan-13 22:08:58

I'm with Hazel. Love George for a girl! I'd pick Georgina for her birth certificate but call her George right from the start.

Not totally opposed to Georgia though smile. It makes me think of peaches and white gloves and mint juleps on the front porch...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now