Lyra classless or not?

(77 Posts)
Babygruffalosmum Mon 14-Jan-13 12:44:22

My little girl is already called Lyra. I think it's beautiful. Just want to know whether people think it's one of those names that you can tell what social background they come from. So let me know what it makes you think. stupidly bloody read an article about teachers name stereotyping and got worried

PoppyAmex Portugal Sun 20-Jan-13 08:12:53

In Latin languages it's a musical instrument, similar to harps.

It reminds me of harps or the old Italian currency (albeit different spelling)

Chumpster Sun 20-Jan-13 00:17:39

Sorry that wasn't the question. It's classless.

Chumpster Sun 20-Jan-13 00:15:48

I don't like the name because a little girl callled lyra once put a handful of soil down dd's knicks. Dd was very upset. I can't be objective about that name anymore.

ProtegeMoi Sun 20-Jan-13 00:05:42

I love it, it was our second choice for DD, we went with Evelyn in the end.

overthehill Sat 19-Jan-13 23:58:57

We really like the name Lyra, so much so that this is what we called our cat. She is beautiful and tortoiseshell and the name really suits her - and is much more distinguished than Pudding, which was on her identichip (her colouring is quite Christmas-pudding-like but also like a constellation!).

NC78 Wed 16-Jan-13 11:44:34

Very middle class. Wouldn't dream of burdening my child with such a poncey name.

Viviennemary Tue 15-Jan-13 19:18:32

Don't like it very much I'm afraid. It sounds like a made-up name which it isn't. Not everybody is up on their Greek mythology. grin

MrsApplepants Tue 15-Jan-13 18:47:51

I don't think it belongs to any particular class but I don't like it because it sounds too much like lycra.

Frikadellen Tue 15-Jan-13 18:37:07

I Think it is a lovely name but not classless for me. For me it is a Middleclass name.

IMO i dont think your dd's future teachers will think much of it as a name it will be a " oh ok" one I belive.

It's a beautiful name. It will make people who have read books smile. It will make people who know about astronomy smile

^^ this

Bambi86 Tue 15-Jan-13 18:18:24

Makes me think of "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman. My favourite book of all time, brings back lovely nostalgia smile

Coconutty Costa Rica Mon 14-Jan-13 20:19:58

I try not to judge class on name alone.

I wouldnt go for Lyra due to the liar issue.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 14-Jan-13 20:11:30

She calls herself a chav and laughs about it.

Seriously think you need to lighten up.

MordionAgenos Mon 14-Jan-13 19:59:52

I suspect you wouldn't be one of her best mates if she knew you were describing her son as a chat on the Internet. I certainly wouldn't want to know anyone who used that word to describe anyone, let alone one of my kids.

Callyfornication Mon 14-Jan-13 19:23:48

I thought of the William Blake poem, but upon Googling, that's Lyca. I'd assume a Lyra plays piano and has a brother called Seth.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 14-Jan-13 19:16:37

And the courts judged him as a criminal not me.

You seem to be assuming that I wouldn't like them or would treat them differently because of who they are. Far from it, his mother is one of my best mates.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 14-Jan-13 19:14:05

I'm not judgemental, I'm just perceptive. grin

MordionAgenos Mon 14-Jan-13 18:52:14

Viv you called him a chav kid. Even if you were basing that judgement on his own behaviour I would suggest that at the very most you are competent to judge him as a criminal (if he has ever convicted). And criminal!=chav

I've yet to meet a chav. I doubt I ever will. This is because I'm not a judgemental bigot.

Babygruffalosmum Mon 14-Jan-13 18:23:17

everlong my mother's objection to it when I first said it was that it was too harsh and hard. Although she grew to love it. Funny how some names are considered 'weak' and some 'hard'. I don't think it so much for girl's names but have thought about it for boys.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 14-Jan-13 18:22:34

Never said I was judging the kid based on his parents behaviour at all.

Branleuse Mon 14-Jan-13 18:21:48

its one of my favourite names

LaCiccolina Mon 14-Jan-13 18:19:57

Sounds like Lycra or that u can't spell lyla or leila.

Something about it tho. Wouldn't have said chavvy just not heard it or seen in books.

everlong Mon 14-Jan-13 18:16:52

I find Lyra a bit weak and watery.

MordionAgenos Mon 14-Jan-13 18:15:39

Viva you did exactly the same as Zavi there, you realise that, right? Judging a kid based on his parent's behaviour is no better than judging him based on his name.

usualsuspect Mon 14-Jan-13 18:13:07

The people who think that certain names are chavvy or WC because thats what you mean, need to get the fuck over themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now