Looking for more girls names!

(34 Posts)
wonderthis Fri 11-Jan-13 22:49:43

We are struggling to find a girls name that we really love. We have a list of likes but are still looking for the one. We don't want anything too popular or trendy, and I think some of these are...

Our likes are:
Ella
Grace
Elodie
Evelyn
Rose
Sadie

What do you think of these, and what are other suggestions?

Thanks!

BlueBowTie Sun 13-Jan-13 23:22:56

I really like Ophilia, Minna, Maud, Liberty, Erin and Frances. Elodie is lovely too though!

amck5700 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:09:53

Celeste

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Sat 12-Jan-13 20:59:02

Ottilie too! I love Ottilie nn Ottie or Tilly. So cute. The world needs more Ottilies.

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Sat 12-Jan-13 20:57:48

All of your names are popular AND trendy sadly!

I love Nisha- I think it's beautiful and unique but easy to pronounce and spell.

What about...

Irina
Rosamund
Mona
Avery
Autumn
Katienne
Rowan
Dina
Kendra
Zara

amck5700 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:36:52

Mabel
Kerenza
Piper
Jasmine
Tierney
Tamar

JimbosJetSet Sat 12-Jan-13 20:35:13

How about

Nina
Ivy
Ruth
Annie
Connie
Corina

twinklestar2 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:30:55

Love Nisha and Sadie!

pinkandyellowbutterfly Sat 12-Jan-13 20:08:10

Hiya, I like your name list!

The name Evelyn is obviously lovely and I can see why its so well used at the moment, I just thought I should point out a conversation I heard in the playground not so long ago (I'm a teacher) Where a girl was being called "Evil Lyn" I'm sure its just a one off as kids can come with anything if they want to horrid, regardless of the name!

wonderthis Sat 12-Jan-13 19:57:33

Hmm, not sure about Pelin!

Queazy the only one I like on your list is Eve but that's common too now isn't it? Mind you, I'm starting to care less about picking something popular...

baskingseals Stella used to be on my shortlist but I've gone off it, don't know why. Pearl was my granny's sister so it seems old ladyish to me but not in a good way.

Lois is really nice but we know a Lois and my mum pronounces it really weirdly - like "Loyse" and it sounds awful!

Amy Rose and Ella Rose are lovely.

Anna feels a bit boring. I'm surprised that Jennifer keeps coming up, there are SO many women my age with that name that I wouldn't expect it to be popular now. But I guess Jessica is popular again and they sort of go together.

Ellie092 Sat 12-Jan-13 19:02:25

My daughter is called Amy Rose.
But I also love the names Olivia

Congrats xx

ODearMe Sat 12-Jan-13 18:59:38

Dbil has just named his daughter Ella-rose which I think is pretty. Also like Jennifer, Anna and Rosannasmile

baskingseals Sat 12-Jan-13 18:52:29

glad you like Saskia.

what about

Stella

Pearl

Elsa

Lois

lollydollydrop Sat 12-Jan-13 18:13:28

Ella Far too popular
Grace see above. Also more a mn imo
Elodie LOVE. On my shortlist
Evelyn LOVE. On my shortlist but OH doesnt like..
Rose Dated.. even though I know it is resurrected, it reminds me of my Gran so I am biased. Prefer Rosalie or Rosa, they mix the old lady chic with a bit of modern and so work well. Rose just doesnt work for me
Sadie Horrible. The celebrity. Reminds me of horses..!

There are some nice suggestions here and on the 'most beautiful girls name' thread.

What about Erica, Eliza, Clara?

Queazy Sat 12-Jan-13 15:20:48

How about...

Eve
Liliana
Priya
Tilly (Matilda)
Joy

xx

funchum8am Sat 12-Jan-13 10:36:53

My neighbour has a 3 week old girl called Pelin which I am strangely in love with (the name not the baby, lovely as she is!). Never heard it before (they are Turkish/Bulgarian).

funchum8am Sat 12-Jan-13 10:36:52

My neighbour has a 3 week old girl called Pelin which I am strangely in love with (the name not the baby, lovely as she is!). Never heard it before (they are Turkish/Bulgarian).

wonderthis Sat 12-Jan-13 10:30:01

Ooh thanks all! Sorry, collapsed into bed shortly after starting this lastnight!

Some great suggestions here... I really like Saskia, Mya, Iris, Violet, and Lily. DH has rejected Iris as "eyeball-y" and Violet as too close to violent, so now he has ruined them for me!

I think I want something that is feminine but also strong. And not too fussy - names like Arabella and Constanza feel a bit fussy and rah rah to me. My sons also have short simple names so I guess that's our preference.

Bananahammocks, I totally didn't realise Grace was so popular back then... maybe I never got as far in checking as found out I was having a boy.

Zooanimals I do really like Nisha. Do you think it would be weird for a non-Indian family to use? I have come across a few Indian names that I like.

LeoandBoosmum Sat 12-Jan-13 01:07:47

Iris
Lily
Constanza
Anya
Eloise
Nina

WeeWeeWeeAllTheWayHome Sat 12-Jan-13 00:46:24

Daphne
Orla
Violet
Arabella

BananaHammocks Sat 12-Jan-13 00:42:53

Grace was on my list since I had my DS 6 years ago, and it wasn't that popular then... bit gutted!

Grace was no 1 in 2006 and no 2 in 2007! It's actually less popular now!

ZooAnimals Fri 11-Jan-13 23:37:24

Nisha is a real name, it's just very underused in UK. It's of Hindi/Sanskrit origin and is popular in India. I know two little Nishas and always think what a lovely name it is and one that you don't hear very often.

How about;

Alicia
Mya
Sophia
Rachel
Marnie (I love this, but Lily Allen has just used it, so it's slightly ruined)
Adrienne

baskingseals Fri 11-Jan-13 23:32:38

forgot Iona

baskingseals Fri 11-Jan-13 23:31:58

Saskia

Helena

Juliet

Rosanna

Christabel

Natalia

do you like any of these?

amck5700 Fri 11-Jan-13 23:28:27

Sylvie
Larissa
Jessamay
Lydia

amck5700 Fri 11-Jan-13 23:25:47

Delyth
Helena
Thalia
Rosalind
Vanessa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now