Immediate reactions to Eli?

(43 Posts)
Ruththetooth Fri 11-Jan-13 14:59:30

I'm expecting our 2nd child and we don't know the sex. DS1 is called Isaac and I quite like Eli if this baby is a boy too. What do you think?

pearlgirl Fri 11-Jan-13 20:11:27

I really like it - we use it as a short form for Elijah for one of our boys.

5madthings Fri 11-Jan-13 20:14:26

I like it smile

I realy like it. I would have loved one of ds to be Elijah nn Eli but I couldnt as DD1 is Elizabeth and had nn Eliza (untill she decided last year she only wants to be known by full name). So I could have had my Elijah/Eli after allsad........ hmmm, maybe I still could!grin

dashoflime Fri 11-Jan-13 21:29:25

"I had a friend named Eli - nicknamed Eli-Eli-ohhhhhhhhhh...."

Genius nickname grin

Love it

sleepywombat Sat 12-Jan-13 05:21:43

I had Elijah & Elias on my shortlists for both my boys, but chickened out due to them being 'too religious'.

When I see Eli, I 'hear' it in a strong southern US accent. I actually prefer it pronounced like 'Ellie' - I know a French Eli with that pronunciation.

nooka Sat 12-Jan-13 05:30:45

My ds's best buddy is an Eli (Elijah). Great kid, cool name. Not sure I'd combine it with Isaac though, it's a bit Old Testament heavy. The Eli we know has a big brother Sol (Solomon) and I thought they were probably quite religious - either Jewish or Mennonite. It did make me a bit wary of the parents (although they turned out to be perfectly ordinary as it happened).

I would presume you were Jewish. I'm not even sure why. confused

ArtigeneAuberchoke Sat 12-Jan-13 07:05:45

I liked it and it was on our list as a nn for Elias but here in London it's getting v popular. There are 3 under 7 in my neighbourhood and they all happen to be rather rough little boys so it's slightly put me off.

VinegarDrinker Sat 12-Jan-13 07:10:08

I.know of one young boy (short for Elijah) and one adult woman - pronounced Ellie. The potential for confusion would be the only thing that put me off.

Hobbitation Sat 12-Jan-13 08:13:05

Probably not many would get this reference but it reminds me of Hylda Baker going on about "Our Eli" and the pickle factory in Nearest & Dearest (1980s repeats, not old enough for the originals!)

birdofthenorth Sat 12-Jan-13 15:26:25

Love it.

Egusta Sat 12-Jan-13 15:30:34

Love.

DuchessFanny Sat 12-Jan-13 15:32:41

LOVED Elijah for all three DS but husband said no !

peacefuleasyfeeling Sun 03-Feb-13 21:19:54

DP wanted Eli for DC1 (was a DD) and is now pitching for it again with DC2. I love it but can't help but to think of the eye of an eel grin .

charlieandthechocolatecake Mon 04-Feb-13 08:26:26

DS 6 months is Eli. affectionately called Eli-Eli-Ooooooh!

I wasnt aware it was becoming popular, dont know any other Eli's.

Suprisingly enough, a lot of people have trouble remembering his name. Including DP, who sometimes calls DS Levi hmm

I think it goes very well with Isaac.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 04-Feb-13 08:40:24

Love it

Gimmeechocolate Mon 04-Feb-13 10:02:11

Love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now